Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Generic singular third-person pronoun  (Read 10372 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Generic singular third-person pronoun
« on: November 04, 2016, 08:25:58 am »
+1

I went to a training course on business writing because I feel it's always good to brush up on my grammar. Subject/verb agreement came up, and this lead to the ever-troubling pronoun to match with "everybody."

The instructor reiterated the classic rule that you say, "everybody will hand in his," or "everybody will hand in his or her." I've noticed lately that there are people pushing for allowing for, "everybody will hand in their." In short, with a lack of a generic pronoun (since calling a person an "it" is considered rude), many are arguing that "they" should be used as a generic singular pronoun.

Her response to this was interesting. She said that while this passes muster in America, it's when you get into the international community that this can cause issues. This makes some sense. After all, when a nonnatives learn English, they are taught rigorously the rules of the language, and I'm sure that they aren't taught that "they" is singular. English is confusing enough as it is.

You're the only international community I'm a part of that I trust and respect, so I pose this to non-Americans. Does this assessment ring true with you? Is using "they" as singular perplexing? Is this only an American thing?

The instructor also said that only in America do we consider using, "he or she." The other nations (even Canada) only use "he" as a generic singular pronoun. Any experiences in that?
A man has no signature

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Generic singular third-person pronoun
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:00:16 am »
+1

One should choose one's words carefully, or maybe not . Their is multinational now. His and hers always was, or were.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:30:52 am »
+1

As far as I'm concerned, "they" as a nonspecific singular pronoun has existed in the language for ages. 

Certainly for as long as I have been alive (and able to speak). 

If a non-native speaker is not being taught that it can be used that way, then their teacher is failing them.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 09:50:25 am »
+7

Singular they has been used for literally hundreds of years across multiple dialects of English. The prescriptivist movement to force it to only be used plurally is a relatively recent phenomena (early 1900s).

Adopting a new word is much harder and invites scrutiny from those who actively reject or mock it. They is almost universally understood in context (albeit with some confusing edge cases) and isn't intrusive or unfamiliar. Basically it's the best we have, and it's very far from the most confusing commonly accepted practice in English.

No matter what the intentions were, using he/him as the default pronoun implicitly asserts male is the default gender. The origins of this pronoun usage are when women weren't respected with the same agency as men, and as women were seen with more agency people just couldn't be bothered to stop so they made up a rule saying that's somehow the right way to do it. Nah. We have they!

His or her is better, but - not everyone is a his or her. Also it's really clunky in many contexts to use three words every time you could have used one. So they it is!
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 09:51:53 am »

Mh. I like it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 10:18:17 am »
+3

"Some bastard" is the best generic singular 3rd person pronoun.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 10:21:32 am »

As a non-native English speaker, I've never been taught singular 'they' in school. But I think it should be common practice to use 'they' in this situation, both in and out of school. It's such an elegant solution to the problem.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 10:24:19 am »
+1

We've already discussed this, you bastard.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 10:48:02 am »

I've studied English for 13 years at school and nobody ever formally taugt me what pronoun to use in these cases. I guess I just picked it up while reading books.
Despite being different than my mothertongue, "they" always felt natural and not confusing at all, and it was when I first came to the Internet that I found out that its use was controversial.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 03:51:01 pm »

I kind of figured. The instructor was fairly adamant about not using "they," and I was wondering if the business world was truly unwilling to accept "they" or not. It sounds like the claim that this is only an American thing does not hold water.

I'll likely continue my transition to using "they" as singular third person. I'm still accustomed to "he" or "she." Sometimes I've just swapped them back and forth if gender wasn't relevant.

Now if I can just stop using the colon incorrectly.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 05:15:10 pm »
+4

I kind of figured. The instructor was fairly adamant about not using "they," and I was wondering if the business world was truly unwilling to accept "they" or not. It sounds like the claim that this is only an American thing does not hold water.

I'll likely continue my transition to using "they" as singular third person. I'm still accustomed to "he" or "she." Sometimes I've just swapped them back and forth if gender wasn't relevant.

So long as you're only using it on the toilet, you should be fine.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2016, 08:00:30 pm »
+1

So long as you're only using it on the toilet, you should be fine.

Aw, shit.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 09:42:45 pm »

For the record, there are certainly plenty of Canadians who are fine with using singular they, myself included.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 09:49:08 pm »

a distinct neutral pronoun would be very good but science hasn't caught up yet
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 10:57:32 pm »
+2

a distinct neutral pronoun would be very good but science hasn't caught up yet

and at this point a few million edgelord neckbeards and dudebros would endlessly mock anyone who either used or asked to be referred to by those pronouns sooooooooooooooooo
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 09:34:28 am »
+2

I'm in the UK, and I was taught in school that singular they is just plain wrong. Now it's my preferred personal pronoun... times change, and language needs to adapt along with social progress.

My problem with "him or her", "ladies and gentlemen" and the like is that they're still implicitly enforcing the idea that gender is binary and that it's only valid to be one or the other... which I assert is wrong, because I'm a gender-agnostic person in most contexts.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 10:23:56 am »

I think the best prescription is "her".
Using the male pronoun briefly gets the idea across, with an technical inaccuracy that is not that confusing, but with an unfortunate selection if the male pronoun based on society formerly being largely patriarchal. It makes sense for one to not want that source if cause to continue to lurk in the pronoun choice.
"She" has the same inaccuracy, one that is totally acceptable and understood, but the source of the choice of pronoun is to avoid the one we had before whose cause was undesirable.  Which is an ok cause to have lurking.
The poor singularity of "they" is just objectively more grammatically confusing and obfuscating than "she" in most contexts.  Since it is terse and excludes about half of all people, it is clear in its refusal to try to account for every possibility.
(Some grammar errors in a grammar post. But I'm mobile)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 10:41:07 am »

I think the best prescription is "her".
Using the male pronoun briefly gets the idea across, with an technical inaccuracy that is not that confusing, but with an unfortunate selection if the male pronoun based on society formerly being largely patriarchal. It makes sense for one to not want that source if cause to continue to lurk in the pronoun choice.
"She" has the same inaccuracy, one that is totally acceptable and understood, but the source of the choice of pronoun is to avoid the one we had before whose cause was undesirable.  Which is an ok cause to have lurking.
The poor singularity of "they" is just objectively more grammatically confusing and obfuscating than "she" in most contexts.  Since it is terse and excludes about half of all people, it is clear in its refusal to try to account for every possibility.
(Some grammar errors in a grammar post. But I'm mobile)

I see "she" and "her" cropping up more and more for this kind of usage. I do find it, uh, peculiar sometimes when "she" is being used to refer to generic singular hackers or other malicious parties.

"She" gives me the sense that the writer is trying to play a balancing act with the historic use of "he". It doesn't feel like a permanent solution and gives this sense of "I deserve this because of what happened in the past". Some people are okay with that thinking though.

"She" also doesn't solve the binary gender objection eh no only "his or her" really brings up that issue.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:43:15 am by markusin »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 01:30:50 pm »

I'm missing the part about how "they" excludes half of all people. Could you elaborate?
A man has no signature

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 01:32:14 pm »

"she" is the antecedent there.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 02:08:22 pm »

'They' is fine.

'It' is fine too. The latter one is easier for me; has counterparts in Dutch.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 02:20:16 pm »

I'm a native English speaker and didn't hear singular "they" when a child, so I'm probably forever cursed for it to sound not quite right. I'm still in favor of it because the alternatives are awful.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 02:20:58 pm »

I also endorse 'y'all'.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 02:37:40 pm »
+2

I also endorse 'y'all'.

I'm sure I also speak on behalf of the others when I sincerely thank you for the endorsement.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 02:48:05 pm »

I also endorse 'y'all'.

I prefer "you guys".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.