Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Introductory Kingdoms with 2nd Ed. Intrigue / Seaside  (Read 2315 times)

Joel

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Introductory Kingdoms with 2nd Ed. Intrigue / Seaside
« on: October 23, 2016, 05:18:41 pm »

I have Intrigue/Seaside (but not Dominion - the base set). People had a lot of good suggestions for introductory Kingdoms for new players. I got the update pack so I now have 2nd Edition Intrigue (probably won't keep the cards removed from 1st ed.).

I've used LF’s suggestion before for a 3-player game, which worked well and doesn't have any removed cards. I have enough Copper/Silver/etc. for two games at once. What do you recommend if I want two introductory games at once (a “first game” and a “second game” for people who have played before but rarely), that don't have cards in common? If I have enough players to need two introductory games at once, it will probably be 3 players for the first game and 2-3 players for the second game.

Courtyard: A light draw card with a simple choice attached.
Lighthouse: Helps the game feel more interactive without slowing it down.
Shanty Town: The simplest cheap village between the two sets.
Smugglers: Introduces the idea of a card gainer and adds a bit of extra interaction without slowing the game down.
Caravan: Simple Duration.
Cutpurse: The simplest Attack card between Intrigue and Seaside. Shouldn't get too out of hand in a 3-player game.
Explorer: A simple build-up-your-money card.
Upgrade: Introduces the idea of trashing a card to get a better card.
Wharf: A simple expensive Duration and introduces the concept of extra buys.
Harem: A very simple card that introduces the idea of Kingdom Treasure and Victory cards and makes a good Smugglers target.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:21:07 pm by Joel »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
Re: Introductory Kingdoms with 2nd Ed. Intrigue / Seaside
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »

Are you asking to design two kingdoms with dominion/intrigue/seaside cards for new people?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 07:19:42 pm »
+1

Are you asking to design two kingdoms with dominion/intrigue/seaside cards for new people?

Two kingdoms with only seaside, and 1st / 2nd Intrigue, no overlap in cards between the two sets, I think.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:10:06 am »

Scout and all the dual victory cards, so they get duped into thinking Scout might be a half-decent card.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:20 am »
+1

Pawn - Lots of Decisions, yet they are somewhat simple and I want a +Buy option
Fishing Village - Great Village, duration, simple enough
Steward - since Upgrade is already taken. Lots of decisions but the best trasher left
Wishing Well - Usually a high skill card, but comboes nicely with Secret Passage. I had Steward and Masquerade in this place but both don't appear to be cards new players can grasp right away
Ironworks - I'd rather have Workshop here, just because it's simpler. I like a gainer in a first set, though
Mill - Ironworks food, works with Patrol, too
Secret Passage - WW combo
Minion - I wanted an attack in this set and this one seems least devastating compared to Cursers, Swindler and Ghost Ship (Cutpurse would have been my first choice, but it's in the other set)
Patrol - big terminal draw, works with Mill, too
Merchant Ship - simple duration, nice money card, can work in a big money deck or a Minion engine, too
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 09:23:10 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Joel

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 02:29:46 pm »

Steward - since Upgrade is already taken. Lots of decisions but the best trasher left
Wishing Well - Usually a high skill card, but comboes nicely with Secret Passage. I had Steward and Masquerade in this place but both don't appear to be cards new players can grasp right away
Ironworks - I'd rather have Workshop here, just because it's simpler. I like a gainer in a first set, though
Minion - I wanted an attack in this set and this one seems least devastating compared to Cursers, Swindler and Ghost Ship (Cutpurse would have been my first choice, but it's in the other set)
Merchant Ship - simple duration, nice money card, can work in a big money deck or a Minion engine, too

Looks good except that Wishing Well might be too complicated. I'd probably replace it with Warehouse. Baron might replace Pawn for the same reason. 

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 05:31:47 pm »

Looks good except that Wishing Well might be too complicated. I'd probably replace it with Warehouse. Baron might replace Pawn for the same reason.

Serious question: what's complicated about Wishing Well? It seems pretty simple to me.

Joel

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 05:38:37 pm »
+1

Serious question: what's complicated about Wishing Well? It seems pretty simple to me.

Wasn't a good description. Wishing Well is simple, but it's complicated to figure out what's left in your deck.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 02:54:46 am »

If you remove WW, you should remove Secret Passage as well, though. Making stuff miss a shuffle is not a concept a new player would understand right away.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:57:49 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.