Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49  All

Author Topic: M88: Covert Affairs Mafia (Game Over! Mafia Wins!)  (Read 127450 times)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
Re: M88: Covert Affairs Mafia (Open for Signups!)
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 05:56:37 pm »

Shouldn't miller/framed have negative utilities? And what exactly does vanillaising do?

I like the suggestion that modifiers which don't do anything for VTs are handled as a different modifier with an effect in that cases.

I didn't put negative utilities on them because they aren't that common.  Miller needs a neapolitan to actually target you, which isn't that likely, and the same goes for the watcher/tracker.  They are so unlikely to happen, that they are pretty null.

I changed the setup to now include different modifiers for VTs.  What do people think?
Forgot about the first part, you're right in that case.

I like the different modifiers, though i think the discrepany between random and weak (on the vt side) is too big. I think one of them should be "two out of miller/framed/macho".

That is what weak is supposed to be.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 07:22:42 pm »

You have ascetic as a positive modifier (+2) for VT. Ascetic is negative utility on a VT.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 12:00:50 am »

Shouldn't miller/framed have negative utilities? And what exactly does vanillaising do?

I like the suggestion that modifiers which don't do anything for VTs are handled as a different modifier with an effect in that cases.

I didn't put negative utilities on them because they aren't that common.  Miller needs a neapolitan to actually target you, which isn't that likely, and the same goes for the watcher/tracker.  They are so unlikely to happen, that they are pretty null.

I changed the setup to now include different modifiers for VTs.  What do people think?

I like the different modifiers, though i think the discrepany between random and weak (on the vt side) is too big. I think one of them should be "two out of miller/framed/macho".

I meant that all three vs. one of the negative modifiers shouldn't be worth -3 vs. -2 points since the former is way worse.
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 11:44:35 am »

How exactly does the randomizing work? Is there one pool and modifiers and roles are picked from that pool until the sum is greater than 7?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 12:09:30 pm »

I meant that all three vs. one of the negative modifiers shouldn't be worth -3 vs. -2 points since the former is way worse.

There is supposed to be a x2 for the -2 section.  So -3 is all three and -2 is two out of miller/framed/macho.

How exactly does the randomizing work? Is there one pool and modifiers and roles are picked from that pool until the sum is greater than 7?

I switch off.  So I start with a modifier then pick a role and continue until the sum is greater than or equal to 7

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2016, 12:25:27 pm »

I switch off.  So I start with a modifier then pick a role and continue until the sum is greater than or equal to 7
What happens if this process does not terminate until you picked 7 PRs? Like you could have a game with 7 Random Roleblockers, and end up with a score of -7.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2016, 12:27:08 pm »

Okay, so it is guaranteed that n <= m <= n+1 with n being the number of roles and m being the number of modifiers. Good to know that :)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2016, 01:08:13 pm »

What happens if this process does not terminate until you picked 7 PRs? Like you could have a game with 7 Random Roleblockers, and end up with a score of -7.

Well I guess I would just keep going. Just keep choosing roles and modifiers. I mean clearly this isn't going to happen. But I guess you could just stop after each player has a role and modifier

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2016, 01:12:21 pm »

Well I guess I would just keep going. Just keep choosing roles and modifiers. I mean clearly this isn't going to happen. But I guess you could just stop after each player has a role and modifier
Since such a setup would be unbalanced I would propose setting a lower limit for that case in which a rerun is done. Not sure what is fair, probably 5 or so.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:13:47 pm by Calamitas »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2016, 01:17:22 pm »

1 Role = Impossible
2 Roles = 41%
3 Roles = 31%
4 Roles = 16%
5 Roles = 07%
6 Roles = 03%
7 Roles = 02%

Not likely, but it could happen. 2% isn't anything like 0.01% which we sometimes have for most extreme setups.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2016, 01:18:36 pm »

1 Role = Impossible
2 Roles = 41%
3 Roles = 31%
4 Roles = 16%
5 Roles = 07%
6 Roles = 03%
7 Roles = 02%

Not likely, but it could happen. 2% isn't anything like 0.01% which we sometimes have for most extreme setups.
We are speaking of 7 roles + 7 modifiers with a sum still lower than 7

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2016, 01:21:32 pm »

as am I.

Admittedly these numbers are from before the Neapolitan change which we just talked gkrieg into. That might change them a bit. Edit: and I see there are actually more changes. In that case they've probably changed a bunch.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 01:23:08 pm by silverspawn »

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 01:26:08 pm »

as am I.

Admittedly these numbers are from before the Neapolitan change which we just talked gkrieg into. That might change them a bit. Edit: and I see there are actually more changes. In that case they've probably changed a bunch.
The probabilty should be a little lower since the expectation value of a random role went up from 2.625 to 2.714

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 02:26:14 pm »

Can we talk about this somewhere else? I'm trying to see who /inned and I'm just greeted with math  :P
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 02:27:19 pm »

Can we talk about this somewhere else? I'm trying to see who /inned and I'm just greeted with math  :P
Look at the OP to see who inned :P

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 03:17:25 pm »

as am I.

I changed them in a way that will make it more fun (it should be more balanced), but that doesn't make it overly complicated (I hope)

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 03:20:31 pm »

as am I.

I changed them in a way that will make it more fun (it should be more balanced), but that doesn't make it overly complicated (I hope)
It doesn't make it more complicated, I think silver means that the script he wrote for m85 doesn't deliver accurate results anymore with the changes.

What do you think of my suggestion in regard to the algorithm? (If 7 roles and modifiers are randomized and the sum is below x, the roll is ignored and another one is taken due to balance problems. I would suggest to set x to 5)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2016, 03:24:22 pm »

as am I.

It doesn't make it more complicated, I think silver means that the script he wrote for m85 doesn't deliver accurate results anymore with the changes.

What do you think of my suggestion in regard to the algorithm? (If 7 roles and modifiers are randomized and the sum is below x, the roll is ignored and another one is taken due to balance problems. I would suggest to set x to 5)

I really think the probability of this happening is low enough that I would just reroll the entire setup, or just stop when this happens (because who doesn't want to see a game with 7 random RBs right?).  I would probably just stop when all town have roles and modifiers.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 03:32:47 pm »

as am I.

I really think the probability of this happening is low enough that I would just reroll the entire setup, or just stop when this happens (because who doesn't want to see a game with 7 random RBs right?).  I would probably just stop when all town have roles and modifiers.
I meant rerolling the whole setup in such a case :D

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 03:35:38 pm »

I you do put in hard "re-roll setup"-rules, make sure to announce them before you randomize it.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 05:41:09 pm »

I'll put in that I also stop if all players have roles and modifiers

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 10:55:10 am »

This is a 9 player game, what's the holdup?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2016, 10:57:42 am »

Too few players right now :/
Silver and igu are on a break as far as I know. Additionally, M87 is running parallel. But yeah, this should fill faster :)

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 05:06:29 pm »

Silver and igu are on a break as far as I know. Additionally, M87 is running parallel. But yeah, this should fill faster :)
I'm on a break too.
/tag
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 05:07:10 pm »

I'm on a break too.
/tag
:'(

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 20 queries.