Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49  All

Author Topic: M88: Covert Affairs Mafia (Game Over! Mafia Wins!)  (Read 127448 times)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
M88: Covert Affairs Mafia (Game Over! Mafia Wins!)
« on: October 17, 2016, 11:53:17 am »

Welcome to M88: Covert Affairs Mafia by gkrieg13.

This game is for 9 players, and is an invented, semi-open setup designed by gkrieg13.

Co-mod:

1. LaLight
2. RoadRunner Calder Michaels, the Vanilla Agent
3. faust Eyal, the Tracker
4. JakeTheBaseballGod22
5. Calamitas
6. Robz888
7. EFHW
8. SpaceAnemone
9. e

Tags: silverspawn, schadd, Joseph, mail-mi, ashersky

The Rules:

The Golden Rule:
This is a game. Everyone who signs up to play must be considerate of each other, never get personal, and focus on having fun. Once the game starts, having signed up is a commitment: inactivity is just as inconsiderate as rude comments.

The Standard Rules:
1. No communication between players outside of the game thread or shared QTs at any time. This includes passing references, jokes, or cases in other games or threads, whether in context or not.
2. If the game thread is locked, do not post. If you are unsure if something is locked, ask the mod by your role QT.
3. Direct or verbatim quoting of mod-provided information is strictly forbidden. Paraphrasing is okay.
4. Quoting of QTs is forbidden as well
5. Actions with instructions that do not specify a game state will be resolved in the order they are received.
6. All night actions must be submitted within 24 hours of day ending.
7. Players must post once every 24 hours.
8. Do not edit or delete posts, ever. If you need to clarify or correct something, post again.
9. Invisible text, font size less than 10, and spoiler tags are not allowed.
10. Cryptography is not allowed.
11. The time between a lynch being reached and a flip being provided is called twilight. All players may continue posting during this time, including the lynched player.
12. Dead players may not post in thread or QT, except their Role QT. A lynched player is not "dead" until a flip has been provided.
13. Personal multimedia, such as video or audio recordings, are not allowed in the game thread.

The Voting Rules:
1. Votes should be in this format: Vote: Playername. Unambigiuous nicknames are acceptable.
2. Unvotes should be in this format: unvote or Unvote: Playername.
3. Unvotes are not required if changing your vote from one player to another.
4. You may vote: no lynch.
5. Lynches occur when a simple majority (rounded up) of living players is reached. Once reached, a lynch cannot be undone.
6. Lynch rules vary by the number of players alive. With 10 or more players alive, the player with the most votes at the end of the day will be lynched. Ties are broken by coin flip. With nine or fewer players alive, if a majority lynch is not reached by the deadline, no lynch occurs.

The Rest:
1. Bold, Green foresty gray color text is reserved for the Mod. Players may not use it.
2. If you have an issue or problem with the game, please write to the Mod in your role QT. Do not post complaints in the game thread.
3. Mods make mistakes - please point them out gently, especially because I am a new mod. If they can be corrected, they will. If irreversible, they will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. If a mod error disadvantages one faction greatly, the game may be called off.
5. Ask all questions and make all requests directly to the Mod via your role QT. Questions deemed as "universal" (defined as questions for which the answers should be available to all players) will be requested to be re-posted in the Game Thread and answered there.
6. One prod will be issued after 48 hours without posting in the game thread. Players are subject to replacement or modkill after one prod.
7. All rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, as determined by the mod.

Deadlines:
1. Days will last seven IRL days.
2. Nights will last more than 36 hours but less than 48 hours.
3. Night action phase submission deadline will be 36 hours after the night begins.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:46:33 am by gkrieg13 »

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: M88: Covert Affairs Mafia
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 11:53:26 am »

Setup Post:

Town PRs (power roles) will be chosen the following way:

- Roles and modifiers will be randomly selected from the roles and modifiers lists until the points add up to 7 or more. The modifiers and roles will be applied to the 7 town members independently, so you may end up with a VT (vanilla townie) that has a modifier, or a PR (power role) with no modifier.
- All modifiers will be unknown.
- Town members who don't get a role will be a VT.

Roles:
  • Tracker: 4
  • Watcher: 4
  • Vigilante: 3
  • Neapolitan: 3
  • Doctor: 2
  • Roleblocker: 2
  • Bodyguard: 1

Modifiers (modifiers in parenthesis will be applied to VTs):
  • Random/(Framed and Macho and Miller): -3
  • Weak/((Framed or Macho or Miller) x 2): -2
  • Miller: 0
  • Framed: 0
  • Macho: 0
  • Vanillaising/(1-shot Bulletproof): 3
  • Loud/(ICified): 4

Description of Modifiers:
  • Random: If A targets B, instead A will target someone at random (includes targeting self)
  • Weak: If A targets B and B is mafia, A dies
  • Miller: always shown incorrectly (VT as PR and vice versa) to a Neapolitan
  • Framed: always shown as targeting the person who was killed for a watcher/tracker
  • Macho: Can't be protected by the doctor
  • Vanillaising: If A targets B, B gets the affect of A's targeting and also B now becomes vanilla (VT or Goon)
  • Loud: If A targets B, B is notified they were targeted by A.

Mafia will be:

1 Mafia JOAT (1-shot of each: Strongman, Ninja, Framer(can choose a player, that player is Framed that night))
1 Mafia Goon if the number is 7 or lower, 1 Mafia Roleblocker if the number is 8 or higher

Mafia will also know what roles there are in the game, but not what modifiers are present

All players will be given role QTs and all communications with the mod should be made in those role QTs.
The PRs and modifiers have been designed so none of the PRs can ever be 100% certain of their results!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 02:33:50 pm by gkrieg13 »

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:53:32 am »

Flavor Post

Flavor will be taken from the TV show Covert Affairs.  Flavor will have no effect on the game and will be minimal.

Each player will be given a flavor name at random (except in the case of an IC).  Mafia then will also be given a mafia flavor name of either Henry Wilcox or Lena Smith, the enemies to the CIA.

VT PM:

Welcome to Covert Affairs Mafia [Player name]!

[flavor about character]

You are [Flavor Name],
the Vanilla Agent.

Win Condition:

You win when all threats to the CIA are dead!

Please /confirm by PM

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:56:56 pm by gkrieg13 »

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:55:42 am »

/in though I don't know the flavor :(
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 11:56:53 am »

/in though I don't know the flavor :(

I don't expect many people to know the flavor.  It is a tolerable TV show that my wife and I like to watch together.  We enjoy it, but I don't expect many other people to have even heard of it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: M88: Covert Affairs Mafia (Open for Signups!)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 12:09:12 pm »

/tag

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 12:15:25 pm »

In!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 12:18:01 pm »

/tag
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 12:47:17 pm »

What do you think about this?

Quote from: silverspawn
A few things I think are off
- Neapolitan is 1. I'd have put it at 4. That's possibly the second-strongest role
- Town RB is 1. pretty strong role, too. 3 I think.

Compared to that, tracker could be 2 or 3. Generally, a lot of those roles are quite good. Bodyguard and doctor are the weakest ones.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 01:07:23 pm »

/in
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 03:04:39 pm »

/tag
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 05:58:10 pm »

/tag
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 06:19:10 pm »

- Neapolitan is 1. I'd have put it at 4. That's possibly the second-strongest role

Compared to that, tracker could be 2 or 3. Generally, a lot of those roles are quite good. Bodyguard and doctor are the weakest ones.

I think that Neapolitan is not the second strongest role, although I might take out the rolecop and just have the Neapolitan.  I also disagree about the RB.  I think it is good at LYLO, but before that it is a negative utility for town. 

I agree that the roles are quite good.  I think the way to buff the mafia is to give them the exact setup, so they can plan their fakeclaims/JOAT choices better. 

The big thing about this setup is that the roles and modifiers can be kind of swingy.  Random on a VT basically just gives town an extra PR for free, where Random on a PR can essentially nuke the PR.  I like it being there though because it gives some variability to results so you can't trust them.  All of the ways that I've thought of changing the setup make it more complicated, which is something I'm trying to avoid.  I mean ways to change it would be to remove modifiers that don't affect players because a PR isn't present (framed, witness, miller, macho).  But I kind of like the fact that the setup has a lot of variability. 

I think the best thing to do would be to buff scum by telling them the setup (roles only, not modifiers), so they can better choose their fakeclaims.  But I also could take out JK and Rolecop, because those are probably the most powerful roles.

Wow, sorry this turned into such an essay.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 07:23:28 pm »

I think that Neapolitan is not the second strongest role, although I might take out the rolecop and just have the Neapolitan.  I also disagree about the RB.  I think it is good at LYLO, but before that it is a negative utility for town. 

I agree that the roles are quite good.  I think the way to buff the mafia is to give them the exact setup, so they can plan their fakeclaims/JOAT choices better. 

The big thing about this setup is that the roles and modifiers can be kind of swingy.  Random on a VT basically just gives town an extra PR for free, where Random on a PR can essentially nuke the PR.  I like it being there though because it gives some variability to results so you can't trust them.  All of the ways that I've thought of changing the setup make it more complicated, which is something I'm trying to avoid.  I mean ways to change it would be to remove modifiers that don't affect players because a PR isn't present (framed, witness, miller, macho).  But I kind of like the fact that the setup has a lot of variability. 

I think the best thing to do would be to buff scum by telling them the setup (roles only, not modifiers), so they can better choose their fakeclaims.  But I also could take out JK and Rolecop, because those are probably the most powerful roles.

Wow, sorry this turned into such an essay.

I had an idea: what if Random VT made them into an unbeknownst-to-them Random Visitor? Then they are actually somewhat negative utility (if they get caught by a tracker after claiming VT, say).
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 07:40:55 pm »

^That's a good suggestion.

While this wouldn't necessarily fix balance, though I don't think this is something that can be fixed with how the setup is structured -- which is fine as simplicity and variety are what makes the setup appealing, you could say when a player gets a modifier assigned to them that would have no effect (say, Vanillaizing on a VT), randomly assign it to someone else until it actually has a function.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 09:09:48 pm »

Okay, but Neapolitan has direct alignment-indicative powers. it really has no place at 1. Compare to to anything with 3 or fewer points, it's stronger than all of those.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 11:01:15 am »

Okay, but Neapolitan has direct alignment-indicative powers. it really has no place at 1. Compare to to anything with 3 or fewer points, it's stronger than all of those.
I agree.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2016, 11:38:20 am »

Ok I made some minor changes to the setup.  I took out JK and Rolecop, upped Neapolitan to a 3 and RB to a 2.  I also collapsed Witness and Framed into one modifier, and changed the Godfather shot to a Framed shot.

JaketheBaseballGod22

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 12:15:32 pm »

/in
Baseball For Life
Mafia Record Overall (6-14) 30%

Town Wins (4-11) 26.7% M88L, M89L, NM9L, M91L, M95L, M97L,NM10W, RMM41L, M100L, M103L, M105W, M107W, RMM45W, M109L, RMM46L

Scum Wins (2-3) 40% M87L, M94W, ZM23L, M99L, ZM24W

MVP's: None

mail-mi

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 02:21:23 pm »

Question: how does framed work for a targeting role? Does it show them as targeting two people or just the killed person?

Calamitas

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Calamitas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 03:38:07 pm »

/in
Oh, i just don't like mafia games.

Town (5/9): M85, RMM35, M87, NM9, M90RMM38, M92, M91, M102,
Scum (3/3): M84, M88, M100

MVPs (1): M84

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 03:47:59 pm »

Shouldn't miller/framed have negative utilities? And what exactly does vanillaising do?

I like the suggestion that modifiers which don't do anything for VTs are handled as a different modifier with an effect in that cases.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 04:10:09 pm »

Question: how does framed work for a targeting role? Does it show them as targeting two people or just the killed person?

The modifier would trump the target in this case and it would only show them as targeting the killed person.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 04:20:09 pm »

Shouldn't miller/framed have negative utilities? And what exactly does vanillaising do?

I like the suggestion that modifiers which don't do anything for VTs are handled as a different modifier with an effect in that cases.

I didn't put negative utilities on them because they aren't that common.  Miller needs a neapolitan to actually target you, which isn't that likely, and the same goes for the watcher/tracker.  They are so unlikely to happen, that they are pretty null.

I changed the setup to now include different modifiers for VTs.  What do people think?

Calamitas

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 05:19:13 pm »

I didn't put negative utilities on them because they aren't that common.  Miller needs a neapolitan to actually target you, which isn't that likely, and the same goes for the watcher/tracker.  They are so unlikely to happen, that they are pretty null.

I changed the setup to now include different modifiers for VTs.  What do people think?
Forgot about the first part, you're right in that case.

I like the different modifiers, though i think the discrepany between random and weak (on the vt side) is too big. I think one of them should be "two out of miller/framed/macho".

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 49  All

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.