Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fun with a trimmed Hunting Party deck in 4P Game  (Read 1511 times)

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Fun with a trimmed Hunting Party deck in 4P Game
« on: February 03, 2012, 07:04:38 am »

Recently played an in-person 4 player game, believe the kingdom was:
Masquerade, Loan, Trade Route, Silk Road, Salvager, Bishop, Hunting Party, Horn of Plenty, Cache, Expand (W/Colony & Platinum)

All had 3-4 opens, I had first and went silver, saw 2 people buy Bishop so figured I would go Masq to get some drawing w/my trashing (VP from Bishop was not going to be a factor). Plan was to rapidly trirm deck while leaving a couple junk card to pass in case of Masquerade, then go HP+Expand+BM. Worked pretty flawlessly, With 2 HP's (really should have had a 3rd but didnt matter), was able to play my Expand most turns later in the game and ended up with 6 Colonies (last turn I Expanded Plat to Colony+bought last Colony to end it.

Skill level was varied here. Some players were kind of unfamiliar with certain cards and made some otherwise questionable decisions. One player bought a Cache?!? and afterwords said he figured he could trash the copper for VP with the Bishop (poor choice for this deck and 1 VP is meaningless in a Colony game). HP would have been a much better buy here IMHO. Another played bought a Colony too soon IMHO, which was later Bishopped to get the +1 coin he needed to bu another Colony. Not sure if that was a good move here. I think the rest of the group was too drawn in by Bishop here because your acceleration every elses deck here. No was else bought Expand until too late IMHO also.

For the record i dislike 4P games, especially with cursing attacks and limited trashing ability. I too poorly in those for one, and they seem to be more luck dependennt unlike here where you can really plan an engine.

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with a trimmed Hunting Party deck in 4P Game
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 08:01:09 am »

If a bunch of people went for Bishop, I'd be tempted to go for Bishop/Plat/Plat/Colony/X Golden Deck.  The X is there for Masquerade defense, and can be trashed for another Colony once that's no longer an issue.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 08:20:39 am »

Expand seems quite awful here if everyone's Bishoping (no more garbage to trash). Probably go for the Golden deck or Hunting Parties + 1 Bishop.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 04:42:46 pm »

Admittedly I don't like the golden deck and have relatively little experience with it, but I think in a 4P game it's quicker to ignore bishop (and even masquerade) entirely if the others bought it, rush BM +HP/Expand maybe and quickly hit 4-5 colonies. The trashing from 3 other player's bishops is so ridiculously good that it's actually a waste to get bishop for yourself unless you want a golden deck. It works best in 4P province (I'm probably 4-1 on 4P Province games with bishop simply because I ignore it without curses) but should be fine with colonies. I'd possibly consider picking up a late salvager or expand if you hit a 5-$ hand late.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.