Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Don't try anything fun on a Cultist board?  (Read 1959 times)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Don't try anything fun on a Cultist board?
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:07:25 pm »
+5

So Cultist sucks, right? You kinda always have to go for it, and games with it are almost always boring and degenerate into Cultist-BM more often than not.

My opponent managed to beat me here with a very cool engine, in a tournament match, on a Cultist board without trashing, WHILE IGNORING CULTIST. Yeah, you read that right.

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20161003/log.0.1475525453055.txt

Of course, Vineyard did make me think twice already, but the 'no trashing' part really was the nail in the coffin for me. I figured, if my opponent doesn't go for Cultist, I can just build a better engine and win the Vineyard split and go from there. Well, I failed. I must admit I forgot you could put the +Card token on the Ruins pile, which really did work wonders for my opponent - suddenly, Ruined Village was a cantrip, Ruined Library was a Moat, and the other two Ruins were gimped Pawns - not so bad after all. Especially if they're all worth a point or more.

And then there were other things that gave the Cultist-free engine a boost. Storyteller mitigates the lack of Copper trashing. Horn can gain more stuff. Peddlers are easy to pick up after a couple of Ruined Market and Herbalist plays. Pilgrimage is also a nice boost to the strategy. I thought about Possessing them, but I wouldn't have been able to win the Vineyard split then either. I think Cultist was just the wrong way to go here, which is not something you get to say very often. Kudos to my opponent. :)
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
Re: Don't try anything fun on a Cultist board?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 08:13:37 pm »
+1

I would like to thank your opponent here just for proving to me that cultist isn't always the end of the world.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 08:23:43 pm »
+1

I would go for both cultist and an engine. It is pretty easy to draw your deck with pathfinding on cultist and if you have enough villages the ruins can count for uniques for your Horn of plenty. Depending on what my opponent is doing i might go for the potion.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:31:55 am »

I would go for both cultist and an engine. It is pretty easy to draw your deck with pathfinding on cultist and if you have enough villages the ruins can count for uniques for your Horn of plenty. Depending on what my opponent is doing i might go for the potion.

Well, yeah, that's what I tried. But when I saw my opponent was going to ignore Cultist, I wanted to shove 10 Ruins in my opponent's face first, so I got a bunch of Cultists first, and then added Villages and a Herbalist or two. Even managed to put Pathfinding on Cultist and almost drew my deck a couple of times, despite the lack of trashing. The problem I ran into is: how to green? You can ignore Vineyard, but if your opponent has 10 Ruins and is gaining more Action cards at a rate of about 2 per turn, their Vineyards are going to beat your Provinces very quickly. If you contest Vineyards instead, which is what I did, you'll end up with a mediocre deck with relatively low-value Vineyards and you're helping your opponent three-pile, which is what happened.

As it turns out, on this board, your deck is never going to be all that great anyway, so you might as well swallow all the Ruins and go for a slog-engine hybrid with Vineyard as your source of VP.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:12:59 am »
+2

If there's enough support for Vineyards I generally skip Cultist. This board is basically made for it.

It has Walled Village, a Village purpose built for slogs. Herbalist is functional +Buy that lets you recycle the Potion for an additional Vineyard buy. Storyteller is nonterminal draw that lets you skip past all the unimportant Treasure nonsense to get to your Potions and HOP. And HoP itself is a Vineyard enabler by gaining cheap Actions readily.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 08:18:11 am »

/tag. I like the kingdom  :).
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.