Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: So what's it like to live in your Dominion?  (Read 2379 times)

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
So what's it like to live in your Dominion?
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:20:59 pm »
+3

So, the board on a given game of Dominion is a Kingdom, right?  And at some level it's supposed to be a (rather impressionistic) representation of an actual kingdom, where each player's deck is their own dominion within that kingdom, and their VPs are something like their degree of political influence within the kingdom.  Admittedly, sometimes it doesn't work super well, but sometimes it does...

I played this game a while back, and it made me think:  Oh, god!  The ruler of my dominion is constantly Scheming to bring people to his Throne Room and have them repeatedly Tortured.  Then he presumably uses the information he gets from his Torturer to learn the locations of valuable Platinum mines to be conquered, which he then Colonizes once the settlements around them have been sufficiently Expanded.  It's like the ultimate evil empire!

How about you?  Played any games where your strategy suggested a kingdom that would be an interesting place to live?  Or a good story about how you came to have such influence?

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
Re: So what's it like to live in your Dominion?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:35:18 pm »
+2

My dominion has a tendency to be ruled by a single very wealthy Bishop.

And don't get me started on those other dominions, who have their goons assault people at the masquerade balls held in the king's court.

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:20:27 pm »

inb4 awkward discussions of Harem (possibly worsened by Mine, Mint, Thief).

Anyways, I guess I'm a drunk, since I love Apothecary. If I can't win, I'll just drown my sorrows.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:29:16 pm »

I always like to look at my deck afterwards and think things like this :)

Its great when you look at your islands. Thats a nice little island estate, there's a copper mine on that island, oh and whatever you do don't go to the cursed island.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:37:58 am »

I was actually just thinking that +Actions in your deck represent an additional person able to perform a task.  Now, your kingdom could just be one citizen who's your combination Torturer, Woodcutter and Smuggler, or you could have several Villages full of ready citizens to get things done more quickly (and THAT is the thematic reason to have Villages give +Actions).  More Villages means a higher population, which means more things done in your turn.  Interestingly, this could lead to one of your Villagers Torturing a citizen from a neighboring Kingdom to find out where the Kingdom hid your other three Villages (because your nasty neighbor is able to keep whole towns obscured from your view).
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:38:45 am »

And yes, I guess this would mean each Cellar has, like, a Gnome living in it or something.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:27:48 am »
+1

My kingdom is full of primitive Native Villages, and I've set them all to work building bridges, then using the bridges to transport materials and build more native villages and so on. Somehow this all ends with us conquering a bunch of Provinces really fast?

My other kingdom doesn't have much land, but it's rich cause of all the wine we make in our vineyards. Why are our vineyards so valuable? Lot's of Herbalists, and lots of (wine) cellars.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:46:44 am »

My people are a people of war and my kingdom follows such logic.

I have a standing Militia defending my Walled Villages and I have Goons advancing my Kingdom into the Border Village areas where I assign Governors to do my bidding. As a bonus, I have a Smithy to outfit my army with weaponry. To defend myself, I have a dedicated team of Minions ready to die for my cause and keep the evil Conspirators and Spies away.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.565 seconds with 20 queries.