Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What's the best route to this target deck?  (Read 1880 times)

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
What's the best route to this target deck?
« on: February 02, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »

The 12 chosen cards are Baron, Black Market, Duchess, Farming Village, Fool's Gold, Governor, Haggler, Inn, Saboteur, Steward, Trade Route, and Wharf.
ddubois vetoes Black Market.
large wooden badger vetoes Saboteur.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/02/game-20120202-173120-c6d063ad.html

My opponent's plays are mostly ignorable as they approached the game wrong and didn't take the right strategy with their Governor.  (I don't veto Governor against low levelled opponents and this is a big reason why.)  I'm mostly looking for feedback on the efficiency of my goldfishing technique.

I'm pretty sure turn 3 or 4 Steward two cards & buy a FG is part of said best route, but beyond that, I'm not sure what to pair it with.  I don't like opening FV generally, but it clearly is a card I want to have around the same time I hit Wharf.  And it does improve the quality of my turn 5 marginally, even if it doesnt flip a green turn 3/4.  Whereas if I put a silver in my deck turn 1, I'm going to be Governor'ing it up ASAP, because it's a card I really don't want in my deck.

Turn 6 felt a bit greedy.  I knew I could get a guranteed vil/wharf play immediately with the purchase effect, and took it over second Wharf (living in fear of the terminal Wharf into Vils turn), but after my trashing was nearing completion, I really felt hampered by the -card play effect of it, either because I had to pitch good cards, or because I had to pitch cards I wanted to Governer-up or Steward.

How many Governor's and when I'm not sure about either.  I like eating coppers for FGs, but that play desires big hands from Wharf generally as well.

I got lucky to hit the $5 twice on turn 5 and 6 as I did, and I wonder if my technique's flaws were hidden by my fortune.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:53:15 pm by ddubois »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best route to this target deck?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:41:11 pm »

I don't think going for Governor is a good move at all given your commitment to FGs. Remodeling Copper to FG is a weak move when it gives your opponent a benefit and when you have a strong-ish trasher in Steward and +buys in Wharf. +Cards doesn't really sound great when Wharf does that for you already, and you don't really need to gain Gold.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: What's the best route to this target deck?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 04:45:52 pm »

I don't think going for Governor is a good move at all given your commitment to FGs. Remodeling Copper to FG is a weak move when it gives your opponent a benefit and when you have a strong-ish trasher in Steward and +buys in Wharf. +Cards doesn't really sound great when Wharf does that for you already, and you don't really need to gain Gold.

With FV/Wharf on the board you might be correct, but in general Governor is good when you're FG and your opponent isn't because extra cards help you significantly more than your opponent. But yea, don't buy Governor with the intent of trashing (maybe if you're in a race..) or gaining golds in a fools gold deck. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.072 seconds with 22 queries.