Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Open Trade Route/Cutpurse on a Witch board?  (Read 1383 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Open Trade Route/Cutpurse on a Witch board?
« on: January 31, 2012, 01:58:34 pm »

Here's the board: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/31/game-20120131-105550-513c1b04.html

I opened Cutpurse/Silver, and my opponent opened Cutpurse/Trade Route.  As you can see, I got constantly stuck at 4 coins, while my opponent managed to get to 5 and bought a couple of Witches.  I resigned after getting hit with 5 curses and not being able to retaliate.

Is that the better opening?

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Open Trade Route/Cutpurse on a Witch board?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 02:03:54 pm »

Trade Route is kind of bad as far as openings go...

The key here is that your opponent bought Silvers with his $4 hands whereas you bought Worker's Villages. Also, since he didn't get to $5 until the second reshuffle, that Trade Route did slightly contribute to him getting to $5 on turn 6, since it removed the possibility of getting an Estate in that hand. But then again, he still has a relatively dead Trade Route in his deck.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:11:24 pm »

You also bought a few early workers villages. While you had more coin in your deck after the first shuffle, by the SECOND shuffle your opponent had more money.

Your buys were - silver, cutpurse, village, village, trade route. Your opponent did cutpurse, trade route, silver, silver, silver. It's not until turn SEVEN that you got your second silver! 

I think your opening was right, but then you assumed that you'd get 5 on the first shuffle for the witch and focused on other, non-coin things (two villages, TWO trade routes) whereas with a cutpurse around, it's pretty easy to get stuck at 4 if you have a little bad luck and only one silver and one terminal silver in your deck.  On turns 8 and 9, you got two more silvers (catching up to the number that your opponent had by turn 5) and immediately got a witch on the next shuffle.

DsnowMan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 05:59:24 pm »

I agree, silvers instead of villages in turns 3&4 would have worked better.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.037 seconds with 21 queries.