Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Governor War, Why Did I Win?  (Read 2390 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Governor War, Why Did I Win?
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:46:52 am »

Just played this game against califax(40).
Key cards: Governor, Remodel, Salvager, Trade Route, University.

With both Governor and Remodel, we both chose the obvous route: Potion -> University -> Governors -> Gold -> Province (Remodel).
I opened with Trade Route, because I have a weakness for it. Somehow I'm always scared that I'll need it later and wished I'd picked it up sooner.
I doubt whether it was a valuable addition this game, but with Governors I didn't need much other money.

We split the Governors 4/6, but somehow I won.
I gained Golds with it 8 times over his 6 times.
He used it to draw three times, I only drew with it once.

So what made the difference in this game?

Was it that:
- He had too many Universities?
- He had too many Remodels?
- He had too little Golds?

Looking at our end decks, I would've thought we were at least equal, so I was surprised to win the Province split 6/2!

Looking back at the log however, it seems his draws weren't that great, but I wondered if it was due to one of the factors I mentioned earlier or just plain bad luck.

Any thoughts?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

buggibum

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Governor War, Why Did I Win?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:03:03 am »

I think potion is way too slow when governor is on board. Same goes for trade route.

Go straight for Silver/Trasher opener. Either choose  Salvager or Remodel, but not both. Then try to be disciplined for: $5 Governor, less than $5 Cantrips for cycling if possible.

So on this board: Open Silver/Remodel or Silver/Salvager. Remodel might get handy to remodel silver into Governor.
Then try to buy Governor if $5 or more. If you have less go for the pearl driver for cycling or silver to start to get to $5 regularly.
You got tons of money from Governors Gold or opponents Governors Silver, so keep your deck tight is best with cycling.

I hope some simulations prove my assumptions, otherwise... forget it. :D

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 05:43:39 am »

Governor simulates very poorly.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:50:37 am »

Silver and universities are a bad mix here. To harness the silver you need to draw lots of treasures into hand. The universities and governors just took up space in hand, adding more cards to the deck that couldn't be harnessed for vp. Look at how long it took to empty the provinces given the number of gifts you were giving each other with governors.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 04:58:46 pm »

I think I would have opened Silver/Silver, Silver/Remodel or Silver/Salvager here (probably Silver/Remodel with the presence of a useful 2 for cycling with Pearl Diver). University is too slow in a Governor game (even 15-16 turns is often too long), especially with no hand-size attacks to mitigate the adverse effect of drawing cards.

From there, it is Governor or bust on every turn always gaining Gold until the end, going for a couple of big turns (possibly a megaturn if the draw is correct. As a whole for that matter, Governor should pretty much always gain Gold until it's time for the Gold to be Remodeled into Provinces.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 04:36:10 am »

Firstly I'd agree with the above posters. University is too slow here - each time a University was bought, it could have bee a governor instead. And later, if sheer numbers of governors were relevant, that not-potion silver can be governored into a governor.

As to why you won: short answer is you were luckier. Governor's a tremendously swingy card once both players know how to use it. I also suspect Califax may have been too eager to use Governor to draw on bad hands rather than generating more gold. In my view, just about the only time you draw with Governor is if you intend to win or end the game that turn.

Wingnut is right as well that the megaturn is the way to go. Don't opportunistically givern golds into provinces as they emerge - that slows your deck. Instead, hit critical mass, then get a mass of provinces in one turn.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 05:57:33 am »

I wouldn't go so far as to say do not use Governor to draw cards unless you are trying to win that turn.  I think it is okay to do some drawing in the last two or three turns, once you have turned the corner and the deck has the Gold to support a rush.  Once the rush is on, I try to get at least two Provinces a turn.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 10:00:32 am »

I don't understand Governor very well yet.

I agree, that university might be too slow and bying 3 is definitely too much. I thought, bazar, remodel, salvager might still be useful and I would get enough Silver from your Governor, but was wrong on this.

Apart from/because of this things went wrong. Yes, I had more Governors in the end. But you bought the first one turn 4, played one at turn 6 and 8. In the meantime I got the first Governor turn 6 and played the first turn 9. When I played it the first time for cards it was already out of desperation to get them together with Gold - I was clearly behind on points.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 10:16:44 am by Reyk »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 21 queries.