Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Basketmaker  (Read 1329 times)

mad4math

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: madd4math
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Basketmaker
« on: September 11, 2016, 01:47:19 pm »
+3

I have lurked on these forums for a long time; this is my first post.

This is a fan card I came up with:

Basketmaker
$2+ - Action Duration
+1 Action
You may set aside an Action card from your hand. At the start of your next turn, play it.
-----
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. If you do, gain an Action card costing the amount you overpaid, setting it aside. At the start of your next turn, play it.

So most of my play group thinks it is a trap and underpowered, and only ever good for the overpay. However, given that moving stuff to next hand, like tactician, is usually better than giving it this turn, I think it is fairly reasonable. It is very similar to haven, giving effectively +1 action next turn instead of +1 card this turn.

The overpay is like a generalized summon.

Thoughts? Is it strong? Weak? Interesting?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Re: Basketmaker
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 02:29:04 pm »

I think there is some secret history there where being able to use it on cards >$4 was too strong.  Having to take a weak card in your deck to do it, my help balance that out. Also, it can only be done 10 times in the game without Ambassador shenanigans, so that limits the power.

As is, you are down 2 cards when you play this, which is pretty painful for the current turn especially since it is probably better if you can play your card now rather than later. There is something to gain from the Tactician like effect, but it depends a lot on the type of deck you have.  I think you might be able to get away with giving it +1 card on play. It could make it too strong (since the overpay is probably really strong).

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 05:40:55 pm »

Seems balanced. It is a bit stronger than Necro, just like Haven is a bit better than a cantrip, and without other villages in the Kingdom it is often mandatory. So far a mediocre or bad 2$ (Squire would virtually always be better).
But the overpay makes it OK and when you hit 7 or 8 this is obviously brilliant. With Prince in the Kingdom and 10$ you can gamble with a potentually game-winning edge if Prince hits something decent (and a potentially immediate loss if you cannot feed Prince anything).

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 05:53:21 pm »

I think you might be able to get away with giving it +1 card on play. It could make it too strong (since the overpay is probably really strong).
This has already been done here without the overpay and been called Vizier. It is most of the times stronger than Haven and with the overpay most definitely a 3$.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 09:44:27 am »

Looks cool! I really like the overpay effect, as that was my favorite Guilds mechanic.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.362 seconds with 21 queries.