Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29  All

Author Topic: Newbie Mafia 8: Time Loops (Game Over!)  (Read 75258 times)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Mafia 8: Time Loops (Day 1)
« Reply #400 on: September 23, 2016, 12:38:08 pm »

Stop trying to read me

Isn't this one of the points of the game, especially D1?

Yeah, I thought so too! I mean, I was amused by RR's over-direct approach in helping me out when I asked him to help facilitate more newbie-oldie interaction, but I think he's being a bit too efficient with his use of language just now :-( Will read things more later tonight when I'm home, though.
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 23, 2016, 03:25:05 pm »

It never works though. I've never gotten lynched on D1 or D2 as scum. I'm just the default on D1 if we can't find anyone else
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #402 on: September 23, 2016, 03:36:20 pm »

It never works though. I've never gotten lynched on D1 or D2 as scum. I'm just the default on D1 if we can't find anyone else

That doesn't mean that if we lynch you now you won't be scum.  You seem different from your normal town self.  Maybe there's a reason for that, like you're in school, but saying "you can't read me" doesn't help your case. 

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 23, 2016, 03:55:25 pm »

That doesn't mean that if we lynch you now you won't be scum.  You seem different from your normal town self.  Maybe there's a reason for that, like you're in school, but saying "you can't read me" doesn't help your case.
I've been less active because of school but I don't think it's changed my style at all. But no, I'm not scum.

And it might not help my case but apparently it's true!

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 23, 2016, 04:48:05 pm »

So I've been doing a re-read, intending to make a whole reads list. The "scary three" of Ash, PPS and Paco are difficult, because I think they could just manipulate stuff too easily to be read by the rest of us. (Originally I'd put Paco in the same bunch as JR and RR, but I think he seems to know what's going on a lot more, so I'm counting him as super-experienced now).

I think LaLight is being absolutely town!LaLight, and McGarnacle is IC, which is nice. Are we giving Zigaton a D1 pass? It's not like it's possible for him to be the only scum out there anyway, and leaving a less-experienced scum for later probably makes a lot of sense.

So then I'm left with JR and RR, and I expected my reread to back up JR's case on RR, but it doesn't. JR is so absent early on that he'd posted more stuff before it had started than in its early pages. He voted for Paco because of his opening statement about not being Mafia (#68), then later made a point of saying it's something you'd only do as town (#96), and then goes on to say he's town a whole bunch of times, which is essentially the same thing as being not Mafia.

He's quite jumpy about votes, like saying he won't vote for Zigaton, then voting for him, then going back to RR, who he'd been voting for earlier. Actually, he seems to be quite against RR in general, when RR's actually not really said anything too suspicious (though it would be good if he'd interact more!). Do scums do fake hammers to look townie? Especially ones who know there are some newbie-but-learning people like me and LaLight who might then assume he's good? I think this might be like WIFOM, but I'm still generally not liking it.

Vote: J Reggie
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 23, 2016, 05:46:48 pm »

Disagree completely with SA's J Reg case.

Strong town read on SA.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #406 on: September 23, 2016, 06:01:48 pm »

Strong town read on SA.

Agree with this except for the "strong" part.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 23, 2016, 06:11:40 pm »

Strong town read on SA.

Huh... you do subtly patronising quite well :-P

If my case is so wrong, why not help me learn how to do it better by saying something constructive? You're voting RR when I think he just feels pretty time-constrained-- what tells am I missing there? You didn't exactly explain anything about it when you voted, and the other person on that wagon is my strongest scum-read, so I'm not feeling particularly like trusting that one.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 23, 2016, 06:59:51 pm »

Quick note to say that I'm not going to away and without a computer from now till late on Sunday. I'll have my phone for reading, but it's a real pain to post anything, so that probably won't happen more than the bare minimum. Please have lots of exciting conversation without me though :-)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 23, 2016, 08:26:24 pm »

Obviously I don't know what ash thinks, but I can tell you this:

So then I'm left with JR and RR, and I expected my reread to back up JR's case on RR, but it doesn't. JR is so absent early on that he'd posted more stuff before it had started than in its early pages. He voted for Paco because of his opening statement about not being Mafia (#68), then later made a point of saying it's something you'd only do as town (#96), and then goes on to say he's town a whole bunch of times, which is essentially the same thing as being not Mafia.

This is not very strong. In the early stages of the game, people usually vote randomly, to try to get real interactions started. Once things start to develop, people get more serious about their votes. So him voting for me in RVS (Random Voting Stage), then saying that he actually thinks I am town and unvoting is not scummy at all.

He's quite jumpy about votes, like saying he won't vote for Zigaton, then voting for him, then going back to RR, who he'd been voting for earlier. Actually, he seems to be quite against RR in general, when RR's actually not really said anything too suspicious (though it would be good if he'd interact more!).

I think he said that he wanted to give a newbie D1 pass to Zigaton, which doesn't say much about what his position on him is. When other people disagreed about newbie D1 passes, he started voting for him.

Focussing on a player can be a townie thing to do. Townies often get tunnel vision on a player. Of course, mafia can fake this, which helps make them less accountable if somebody else gets lynched, but they are sort of giving up their vote.

Basically, these two arguments are weak-ish, because they are not much more likely to come from scum than from mafia. If, say, we lynched PPS and he flipped scum, then you could say that J Reggie focussing on RR so much right now would be scummy, because he would be trying to deflect from a PPS lynch. But with the information we have right now, I don't see it.

Do scums do fake hammers to look townie? Especially ones who know there are some newbie-but-learning people like me and LaLight who might then assume he's good? I think this might be like WIFOM, but I'm still generally not liking it.

This is the part that makes it particularly unlikely that J Reggie is scum. We now know that McG is town. Let's assume that J Reggie is scum (noted scum!JR), and McG is a Vanilla Townie (noted VT!McG), because back then we didn't know McG had a PR (Power Role).

So scum!JR sees McG at L-1, with town being generably agreeable to lynching him. It wasn't guaranteed to happen, but it looked likely. scum!JR can do nothing at all, or insist on how scummy McG is. Result: D1 ends with a mislynch. Or we can fake-hammer him. Two possible results, assuming McG actually believes he is lynched: he reacts in a more or less neutral way, so we are back to L-1 without much difference. Or, much more likely, he reacts in an overwhelmingly townie way, and now nobody wants to lynch him, basically giving town a confirmed town player for no reason at all. The odds of McG reacting in a scummy way are basically zero, since he is town and believes he is lynched.

If you are scum, fake hammering a townie serves no purpose at all, and more likely than not will hurt your position, when you were already about to mislynch a townie. Considering that J Reggie is a more experienced player, the chances that he did this are close to zero. So that's why ash, PPS and me think he is town.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Zigaton

• Kill all Patapons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 24, 2016, 09:20:55 am »

Very mild scum on PPS. My evidence is mostly process of elimination
is that allowed? I thought at first it is necessary to prove, and then kill

@Zigaton, what do you think of LaLight?
he may well be the Mafia. While he did not himself compromised, in addition, it can easily divert suspicion from himself. More precisely I can only say in D-2

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 24, 2016, 09:42:40 am »

he may well be the Mafia. While he did not himself compromised, in addition, it can easily divert suspicion from himself. More precisely I can only say in D-2

What to do you think about PPS?
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 24, 2016, 11:05:45 am »

Why D2 specifically?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #413 on: September 24, 2016, 11:07:34 am »

Why D2 specifically?

Sounds like he's soft claiming, so let's not prod any further.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 24, 2016, 02:06:15 pm »

Why D2 specifically?

Sounds like he's soft claiming, so let's not prod any further.

If he actually is, you shouldn't have said this.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

J Reggie

• Jester
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #415 on: September 24, 2016, 06:09:07 pm »

Soooooooo anyway... hey uh, pacovf, are you scum?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 24, 2016, 08:37:57 pm »

Hum, let me see...

*checks PM*

No! Phew, was scared there for a second.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 24, 2016, 09:35:39 pm »

After a quick reread, some notes:

RR: mentions that we want to wait before a lynch. noncommital about Lalight's wagon when it formed. a bit defensive. votes for McG (smileys). comes back from lurking, annoyed at people voting for him over lurking. actilurks a bit. very mild scum on PPS out of nowhere by pseudo poe. says he is default D1 lynch when he isn't scum

Lalight: super helpful. early vote on me, unvote when reaching L-1. Joking about McG being scum. Defending himself about unvote thing. omgus on ash. claims vt out of nowhere. bothered by people voting him over his usefulness. bothered by people not using proper nicknames. says he thinks he wants to vote for McG, but not yet. later votes for him. bothered people aren't helpful. casts suspicion on lurkiness of RR and JReggie. scuffles with McG for no reason? later attacks McG some more. defeatist over being perceived as scum. eager to lynch McG. after fake hammer says McG is dead (pretense? not noticed fake hammer?). seems to go after pps after fake hammer

McG's wagon: starts with RVS vote from SA. ash mentions scumminess of smileys, but doesn't vote. RR votes for him (cos smileys). Lalight votes for him. J reggie votes for him (quite later), then fake hammer.

I could see a RR/Lalight scum team, but well when you only reread two people it's easy to draw connections. Ok, so after this, I think my lynch preference is:

PPS > RR > lalight >> zigaton

I should reread ash too but I am feeling lazy and there's less than two days to deadline, so let's get moving people.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 24, 2016, 11:24:44 pm »

If me and LaLight were scum buddies I'd accidentally buddy him a ton

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 25, 2016, 01:23:56 am »

I don't know, you just feel so different from your regular games, and well acti-lurking always raises red flags. You are not necessarily Lalight's scumpartner, but you have enough strikes against you even without that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 25, 2016, 01:43:19 am »

Vote Count 1.7

pingpongsam (2): pacovf, LaLight
J Reggie (1): SpaceAnemone
LaLight (1): pingpongsam
McGarnacle (1): Roadrunner7671
Zigaton (1): McGarnacle
Roadrunner7671 (2): ashersky, J Reggie

Not Voting (1): Zigaton

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch. Day 1 ends at Sep 26, 22:00 forum time. That is in 44h 16m.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 25, 2016, 08:28:31 am »

I don't know, you just feel so different from your regular games, and well acti-lurking always raises red flags. You are not necessarily Lalight's scumpartner, but you have enough strikes against you even without that.

Looking at your breakdown I can't figure out why you favor RR over LaLight and especially me over the others. You still mad I pressured you?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 25, 2016, 12:36:07 pm »

You pressured me?

Both RR and you feel a bit off from your usual playstyle. Of course once you point that out it becomes a huge meta ball, but still. I prefer you slightly over RR because you are a bit scarier, because trying to defuse the fake hammer doesn't look good (especially when you say it's ok because it created interactions or whatever), and because lynching lurkers D1 is a double edged sword. It's not a super huge preference mind you.

I prefer either of you to Lalight because he's a newbie, which is always harder to predict. Also, for what it's worth, SA insists this is normal!Lalight.

Nevertheless, either of these (or Zigaton) would make for a good lynch.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 25, 2016, 12:41:07 pm »

I invite you to convince me otherwise though! I don't have to be the only one building cases and taking notes and everything.

Well SA is building cases too. Keep up the good work!

Also deadline in a day and a half. That's really really soon, and I won't be very available tomorrow. Everybody put your votes where it's useful. Notably, a vote on McG or J Reggie doesn't seem useful.

Zigaton

• Kill all Patapons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 25, 2016, 01:36:59 pm »

What to do you think about PPS?
I do not know anything about him. he never contacted me. I don't think he can be a mafia.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 29  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.