Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion Tier List: 2016  (Read 11561 times)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Tier List: 2016
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 08:26:15 am »

That would be tier 0-1, 1-2, until 9-10.

Yeah, I just think naming the tiers by maximum score sounds cleaner, rather than the full range they encompass.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2016, 08:36:02 am »

If you really want to make life difficult for yourself, you could weight everyone's entries by their iso ranking.

Note: Don't do this.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 08:54:50 am »

Village was the hardest one to rate. It's old hat now but in the context of the base game it's kind of a game-changer.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:21 am »

Village was the hardest one to rate. It's old hat now but in the context of the base game it's kind of a game-changer.

Rate cards in context of everything, not just the set they're in.  Otherwise, Scout might be tier 2, maybe even 2.5.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

madeofghosts

• Baron
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 10:23:10 am »

I guess what I really mean is that it's especially dependent on what other cards are available. I know that's true of every card. Villages in general being really important but Village itself being one of the weaker versions - it's hard to pick through all that.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 12:16:24 pm »
+1

I think Vanilla Village is a good example of a card that would actually be a relatively high, but not bonkers, power level. How many boards is it skippable? It is often a key piece of an engine board. How often would you buy another village instead if a different one were available at $4? It costs $3, and I'd much rather have it than Shanty Town most of the time. Sure, it's boring, but it's appropriately costed.

It's especially interesting to compare it to cards like City, which, on the wrong board, is a $5 Village for most of the game. I've probably skipped City more than I have Village. When City's good, it's great, but it can be a trap, especially if your opponent ignores it and you can't empty another pile quickly enough.

Factoring in the cost when evaluating the cards is definitely the trickiest part, but it's a critical part. Expand would be utterly broken at $4 and would be an unskippable rock-crusher of a card on almost any board. As-is, it's often (if not usually) skipped. This is why the cost has to be taken into account. The rating gels it all down to one number that gives a general sense of how good the card is.

Never mind Village for a second; allow me to suggest a basic card rating comparison: Silver is better than Gold. It gives you $2 for only $3 investment, rather than $3 for $6. It's usually not skippable because of the need to hit $5 early. Sliver flooding is a thing. Gold flooding isn't. Sure, some cards give you free Gold, but does that make it a better card overall? Not really. The existence of Gold adds a lot to the intrinsic value of Tunnel; The existence of Tunnel doesn't add much to the intrinsic value of Gold. I've skipped Gold on plenty of engine boards, but I've only skipped Silver on BM boards that ramp to $6 almost immediately, like Gear-BM.

That said, you use Silver as a means to an end, not because you want to, but because you have to. Sometimes it even gets trashed along the way. Some people would even call it a glorified Copper. Then again, even Copper has utility (I wouldn't rate it a zero. That's for Curses and Ruins.) But all Dominion cards are a means to an end, so that's not meaningful.

I think the numbers will be interesting with a large enough sample size. Sure, some people will overrate and others will underrate, but that's the whole point of creating averages. Personally, once there's enough data, I'd be interested in just seeing a list of all of the card-shaped things sorted by rating the average rating shown to one or two decimal places.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 12:20:12 pm »
+1

I think I rated Village an 8. Villages are among the most powerful and least skippable cards in the game. They tend to be forgotten or not seen as being as essential as they really are.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2016, 12:42:58 pm »

This thread needs to die so that Qvist has all attention on his rankings for this year. This will be done some time later, or maybe never, if Qvist is right about already doing what I am doing in addition.

That being said, if I can find some interesting way to make a different list involving tiers, I will do it later on.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2016, 01:05:15 pm »
+1

It would be cool to know what people's average ratings are -- if they're mostly near 5 (the average of the 11 choices), or not.  It should be 5 across all sets.  If it wasn't, I would think you would want to normalize that person's ratings.  Or maybe that's too much work, idk.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2016, 01:25:59 pm »

I will say figuring out where to rank the cards is hard. I feel a 0-10 scale is rather huge. Anyway, I only feel good giving Chapel 10 and Thief and Adventurer 0. Everything else, I'm not sure about my rankings.

I ranked.  Looking forward to the next batch.

On something lime Chapel, although it gets bought in most kingdoms, I took a couple points off because it rarely gets bought more than once per player.   I suppose I'm thinking about the average number of copies gained per kingdom as my measurement of how "often" instead of the percentage of kingdoms in which I buy a card at least once.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2016, 02:17:18 pm »

I will say figuring out where to rank the cards is hard. I feel a 0-10 scale is rather huge. Anyway, I only feel good giving Chapel 10 and Thief and Adventurer 0. Everything else, I'm not sure about my rankings.

On something lime Chapel, although it gets bought in most kingdoms, I took a couple points off because it rarely gets bought more than once per player.   I suppose I'm thinking about the average number of copies gained per kingdom as my measurement of how "often" instead of the percentage of kingdoms in which I buy a card at least once.
That because it does it's job so well that you don't need any more.
If village was + 100 actions you would only need one but it would easily be rated 10.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 02:18:12 pm »

If village was + 100 actions you would only need one but it would easily be rated 10.

We have a card called Scenic Village that gives +10 actions and you still need more than 1.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2016, 02:23:28 pm »

Champion

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2016, 03:13:08 pm »

I would rate it higher but voting on scales of 1-10 are sort of bad. You have overly critical people and people who think all cards are great because Dominion is great and they never rate anything below a five.

For anybody who feels a need to respond to this, the discussion has already been had. It does not need to take place again. Please overcome your need and let this thread sit until the appropriate time.

Where did this discussion happen?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2016, 03:14:18 pm »

There is one rating bar from 0 to 10 per card. Things that should factor into the rating are the cost of the card, overall strength, and how often it is used in a given Kingdom.

Is the intention to consider 2 player Dominion games only? Or are multiplayer considerations allowed?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2016, 03:32:49 pm »

This thread needs to die so that Qvist has all attention on his rankings for this year. This will be done some time later, or maybe never, if Qvist is right about already doing what I am doing in addition.

That being said, if I can find some interesting way to make a different list involving tiers, I will do it later on.

Too late, buddy, you've got to finish now.

*cracks bullwhip*

We're expecting Intrigue.  Don't keep us waiting.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

NolanA

• Salvager
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2016, 04:20:47 pm »
+1

I'd find it helpful to have a editable final summary page that displays a sorted list of all of your ratings, or a way to go back and edit previous ratings.   This would make it easier to scale the ratings to one another.   For example, Cellar was on one of the earlier pages of my survey.   I rated it in relation to other few cards of the set I had rated at that point... better than my rating for Moat, worse than my rating for Chapel, etc.   By the time I got on later pages, I realized I didn't put in a large enough gap in my rating for Chapel and Cellar to fit the multiple levels of cards that I consider to fall somewhere in between them.  The end result was rating Cellar and some of the other early cards on a different scale than the later cards.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:54:43 pm by NolanA »

NolanA

• Salvager
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2016, 05:24:39 pm »

Well, these are tiers, right?  So the tiers should have names.  I propose four tiers: Chapel (good), Village (utilitarian), Adventurer (bad), and Scout.

I have a different view about Chapel.  In the base game, I think Witch should be the highest rated card, rather than Chapel.  Witch is by far the most powerful attack card in the base game.  Buying it assists in nearly every non-Gardens Rush game, which is the overwhelming majority of base games.  It's probably the only base game card, where it is typically desirable to buy the 1st one on a $6+ draw.  In the old CouncilRoom game results analysis, Witch was the base card that had the highest Win Rate with and lowest Win Rate without, putting it on a similar level to Province in terms of Win Rate with/without, well above all other base game cards. 

In contrast, Chapel is more kingdom specific than Witch.  It can completely change the game and is extremely powerful in the right kingdom, but there are also a good portion of base game kingdoms where it doesn't help due to the opportunity cost of the turns spent trashing and rebuilding not being worth the benefit of rebuilding something other than a powerful engine, combined with Chapel often being unused and interfering with draws in the mid/late game.   For example, it's not uncommon for the best strategy in a base game kingdom to be Smithy/Council - Big Money.  Chapel isn't going to help in such a kingdom.  Chapel does even worse in most Rush games.  Even in Engine games, if only a mediocre engine is possible, Chapel still may not be worth the opportunity cost.   For example, Chapel isn't going to do much for win rate in a Lab with Militia terminal type engine (assuming no other useful kingdom cards to combo/enhance, particularly + buys), compared to Lab + Militia without Chapel.  Or with a Village/Smithy + Market (again assuming no other useful cards to combo/enhance), I'd favor playing the engine with Remodel for trashing, rather than Chapel.  I think even beating Smithy-BM would be difficult with Chapel and no Remodel in this kingdom. 

I'm not saying Chapel is a bad card.  I think it's a great card, probably the most powerful card relative to its cost in all sets.  However, that wasn't the only criteria for the rankings.  When considering the additional factors, I'd rank the base cards as Witch 1st and Chapel 2nd.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 12:46:05 am by NolanA »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2016, 05:45:46 pm »
+1

For my rankings, I am going off how powerful Chapel is in the context of all of Dominion, not just using it in just base. I think most people are ranking the same way as me. Overall, while Witch is a strong card, with strong trashing, its effectiveness goes way down.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2016, 06:49:24 pm »

I also find that Chapel (or other strong trashers) are skip able far less often than not, so Chapel rates strongly period.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.021 seconds with 21 queries.