Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My best game yet, now tear me down. :)  (Read 1900 times)

vulturesrow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
My best game yet, now tear me down. :)
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:36:53 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/28/game-20120128-203331-2704c4cb.html

I was worried about the megaturns and then realized how I could "short-circuit" his strat. Expand may be my new favorite card.

poum

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Re: My best game yet, now tear me down. :)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 02:47:51 am »

I'm nowhere near as good as most of the people on these forums, but I would have played this game a lot differently.  I would buy festival instead of gold, and use expand to get more warf/festival rather than gold.  I also would pick up a few pawns instead of piling up a bunch of silver.  Seems like you could be drawing your whole deck pretty quickly with this strat.  Alternately you could just do double warf big money if you didn't want to try to combo.

edit:  after messing around a little bit with this board it seems like pure money with vault or warf is just better than comboing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:11:34 am by poum »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:31:46 am »

edit:  after messing around a little bit with this board it seems like pure money with vault or warf is just better than comboing.
Yup. Too many expensive pieces. Wharf+money is really fast, and trying to build some sort of engine is just going to put you too far behind with no alternative sources of VPs to catch up. Now, if there were a sub-$5 village that you could gain with ironworks, a wharf engine would be right, but with festival as the only village, it's just too slow.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:33:48 am by HiveMindEmulator »

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:18:42 am »

Tear you down? Sure, why don't we take a look at turn 9:

Code: [Select]
   VulturesRow draws 2 cards and gets +1 buy from the Wharf.
   VulturesRow plays an Expand.
   ... trashing a Silver.
   ... gaining a Gold.
   VulturesRow plays 2 Coppers and a Silver.
   (VulturesRow draws: a Copper, 2 Estates, a Gold, and a Silver.)

Why not just buy that Gold direct?

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 06:33:06 am »

Yup. Too many expensive pieces. Wharf+money is really fast, and trying to build some sort of engine is just going to put you too far behind with no alternative sources of VPs to catch up. Now, if there were a sub-$5 village that you could gain with ironworks, a wharf engine would be right, but with festival as the only village, it's just too slow.

I can't disagree with that. For me it'd either have nbeen two wharfs + money, or more likely, Vaults plus money.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 01:23:03 pm »

Spice merchant + vaults seems ok.

The problem here is that all the good cards cost 5 coins. Firstly the spice merchant isn't the best provider of 5 coin hands. The expand is good at trashing estates for 5 cost cards but it gives you more problems; getting the 7 coin hand and having enough actions to use it by already having 5 cost festivals. It can all be made to work but probably a but late.

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 03:56:37 am »

Spice merchant + vaults seems ok.

The problem here is that all the good cards cost 5 coins. Firstly the spice merchant isn't the best provider of 5 coin hands. The expand is good at trashing estates for 5 cost cards but it gives you more problems; getting the 7 coin hand and having enough actions to use it by already having 5 cost festivals. It can all be made to work but probably a but late.

That makes sense to me. Spice Merchant can be great for working towards decent engine decks, though it is a moderately high skill card to use (thanks to the two options, and the need to carefully track how much money is in your deck). With Expand, I'd agree that its hard to buy, but OTOH, I think its worth getting it you accidentally end up on exactly $7 in a Vault game. Sure, it clashes a little, but at worst you could always discard it to Vault, or expand the Vault to a Province.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.