Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: empires: charm(ed)  (Read 3254 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
empires: charm(ed)
« on: August 02, 2016, 10:11:47 pm »

dude, at least you're getting one with the same cost. i have no idea how this thing even works.

it is indeed quite charming. it would seem a bit similar to horn of plenty, with the bonus ability to be a treasure-woodcutter but with the drawback of pretty much never being able to get provinces, or even cards of diverse costs (which you'll want to do quite often with the horn!). in practice, i've found the buy to be quite often unused—doing the bottom thing offers the same amount of card-gaining, and it will often be 'equivalent' to more money. perhaps the most common exception is when you want to buy a province and also another thing, or maybe you just have more money than buys and you want to buy things at two different price points. et cetera.

-how often is its 'differently named' constraint an issue? of course recall that you can buy one thing and have multiple charms gain the same different thing
-do you get excited if you see prince and charm in the kingdom? i do, but then again i also get excited with horn of plenty-and-that's-it
-what reasons have you had for choosing woodcutter? there is a more finite number of possible reasons than it looks initially, insomuch as things can be more finite than other things
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

diedre91

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Diedre
  • Respect: +69
    • View Profile
Re: empires: charm(ed)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 07:39:51 am »

Not sure how this ancient dodecahedron will work...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_dodecahedron

It is a treasure-gainer. Its comparison with Haggler is more appropriate.
The +$2 and +1Buy feels like a bonus when you do not reach the price point you want.
Nice to grab engine pieces and amazing when Boarder Village is on the board.
About Prince I am not sure. If you are buying Provinces you might not have time to Prince something, except if there is a really good target to be Princed.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:53:32 am »

To get what, Gold? I'd rather have more engine pieces.

I think a treasure with just +$2, +1buy would already make an okay $5 cost. On a couple of boards with this as the only +buy, you will and up picking it, and I imagine it will be at least decent for terminal draw-BM.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

diedre91

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Diedre
  • Respect: +69
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 11:16:29 am »

I think a treasure with just +$2, +1buy would already make an okay $5 cost. On a couple of boards with this as the only +buy, you will and up picking it, and I imagine it will be at least decent for terminal draw-BM.

If Gold is part of your payload, of course. And c'mon, Gold is a decent card!

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 11:30:22 am »
+4

Play ten charms
Buy gold
Pile border village,duchy,charm

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:32:55 am »
+5

If Gold is part of your payload, of course. And c'mon, Gold is a decent card!

Never! Gold insulted my Grandmother!

#YellowIsPurple #ActionMasterRace #NeverTreasure

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 11:43:17 am »
+2

After having played with Charm a few times now, I like it, but I find I'm using it for a Silver +Buy more often then I'd like.  You buy it thinking it would great to buy two $5's in one turn, but that's not so trivial when you need to get $5 without using the $2 from Charm.  I think it's best when there's multiple $4's or multiple $3's you want, say a $4 village and a smithy type card, or a Village/Menagerie/Oracle or something.  If the other $5's on the board are really important and the $3's and $4's are meh, I might skip Charm and just buy the $5 I want earlier. 

I did have one game where I was able to use Charm similar to a HoP Megaturn.  Not exactly the same, but in a deck that can draw itself, play two or three charms, and then has enough money to buy 3 or 4 cards (not a ton of money, just $12 or $13 or something), suddenly you're buying 4 cards and gaining another 12.  This is where Charm is at it's most fun.  If you're buying it and only gaining one extra card every 2 or 3 or 4 turns, it's not very exciting. 

EDIT:  This is against the rules so don't do this!  See below
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:05:09 pm by amoffett11 »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 11:47:55 am »
+1

After having played with Charm a few times now, I like it, but I find I'm using it for a Silver +Buy more often then I'd like.  You buy it thinking it would great to buy two $5's in one turn, but that's not so trivial when you need to get $5 without using the $2 from Charm.  I think it's best when there's multiple $4's or multiple $3's you want, say a $4 village and a smithy type card, or a Village/Menagerie/Oracle or something.  If the other $5's on the board are really important and the $3's and $4's are meh, I might skip Charm and just buy the $5 I want earlier. 

I did have one game where I was able to use Charm similar to a HoP Megaturn.  Not exactly the same, but in a deck that can draw itself, play two or three charms, and then has enough money to buy 3 or 4 cards (not a ton of money, just $12 or $13 or something), suddenly you're buying 4 cards and gaining another 12.  This is where Charm is at it's most fun.  If you're buying it and only gaining one extra card every 2 or 3 or 4 turns, it's not very exciting.

Are you playing this right? You only get the extra gain on your next buy after you play Charm.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 12:03:34 pm »
+1

Charm only works on your next buy, so you can't do that.

I also found that I use the Silver+Buy more often than I'd like.  Sometimes it's just hard to hit the high price points where the gaining is better.  I'd prefer to hit $5 over getting two $3s, and usually I'd prefer $6 over two $4s.

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 12:04:32 pm »
+1

Nope, not playing it right.  I read the card when we first played it (and probably every time since), but something in my brain was lost in translation apparently as I interpreted it as your typical Dominion "when this is in play, when you buy something gain a different card that costs the same etc. etc.".  So you could gain something for every buy.  Which now upon actually reading the card is clearly not the case.  Thanks for pointing this out.  I'm pretty sure I've only actually abused this once, as most of the games I've only used it for one buy at a time.  There's one game though where I used it similar to how I described, where I now have to kneel down before my opponent, award them the win a couple weeks late, and beg for forgiveness.  I think it's only appropriate that I dig out my bearskin and axe for this ritual. 

This isn't the first Empires card that has required more careful reading after a couple playthroughs.  The other one I keep messing up is Fortune, not the doubling, but the "Gain a Gold for each Gladiator you have in play".  We've always been forgetting to do this.  In some cases the player would have wanted the gold but forgot to grab it, in others I would rather not have the Gold, but the card tells you to grab it (them), so you must. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:06:02 pm by amoffett11 »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 02:40:25 pm »

Nope, not playing it right.  I read the card when we first played it (and probably every time since), but something in my brain was lost in translation apparently as I interpreted it as your typical Dominion "when this is in play, when you buy something gain a different card that costs the same etc. etc.".  So you could gain something for every buy.  Which now upon actually reading the card is clearly not the case.

I keep making the comparable mistake with Messenger—the special effect only works if Messenger is your first buy.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.