Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Toll Station: Interactive Duration  (Read 4939 times)

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
Toll Station: Interactive Duration
« on: July 28, 2016, 05:47:40 am »
+11

Hi there, how about Duration cards that stay in play until another player does something?

TOLL STATION
Action-Duration, Cost:

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

Until another player plays a Toll Station, Victory cards cost less during your turns (but not less than ).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Toll Station: Interactive Duration
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 09:46:40 am »
+4

I really like the idea of a Duration that stays in play until your opponent does something. I'm a little concerned about the politics of a multiplayer game.

And +2 cards, +1 buy feels like a strange effect for a card that in theory you might only play once ever. I dunno if that's actually based on anything; just a feeling I get. Maybe because I'm comparing it to Reserve cards, which are all either +1 action, cantrip, or nothing on play.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 09:54:02 am »
+5

I like the idea, but I wouldn't have it trigger on a copy of itself.

Maybe something like: Until your opponent buys/gains a Victory card.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 01:01:44 pm »
+2

And +2 cards, +1 buy feels like a strange effect for a card that in theory you might only play once ever. I dunno if that's actually based on anything; just a feeling I get. Maybe because I'm comparing it to Reserve cards, which are all either +1 action, cantrip, or nothing on play.

Wine Merchant?

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 01:48:28 pm »
+3

I like the +buy on the top part of the card. It works with the duration effect, since the turn you play it, it makes it easier to buy 2 Victory Cards.

I agree the trigger for stopping the duration shouldn't rely on another player playing a Toll Road. Buying a Toll Road from Black Market makes it unstoppable. More importantly, it tends to force players to follow the same strategy, which can get boring.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 02:04:09 pm »
+2

I like the idea, but I wouldn't have it trigger on a copy of itself.

Maybe something like: Until your opponent buys/gains a Victory card.

I like this idea.  Could lead to (possibly) interesting 'critical turn' decisions.  You could mess up your opponent's critical turn, but you might have to green earlier than you want. 

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 02:19:18 pm »

Wine Merchant?

Not sure I agree with the comparison... although Wine Merchant is a reserve, I seriously think it shouldn't be because it can't be called for an effect. But that aside, you play Wine Merchant specifically for the on-play effect. Reserves in general, and multi-turn Durations like Hireling, are played for the ongoing benefit.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 02:22:35 pm »

Wine Merchant?

Not sure I agree with the comparison... although Wine Merchant is a reserve, I seriously think it shouldn't be because it can't be called for an effect. But that aside, you play Wine Merchant specifically for the on-play effect. Reserves in general, and multi-turn Durations like Hireling, are played for the ongoing benefit.

What I meant was, not all Reserves are +1 action, cantrip or nothing on play. I mean, fair enough if you think Wine Merchant shouldn't be a Reserve, but I think it works well and I wish there were more Reserves that worked this way.

market squire

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 02:55:37 am »
+1

I had a Duration in this thread (Ambush) that would stay in play until someone else bought a Victory. But there, it was rather disencouraging them from buying Victories because you'd draw cards. Here they get an incentive to do it - they cancel out that bonus. I like it:

TOLL STATION
Action-Duration, Cost:

+2 Cards
+1 Buy

Until another player gains a Victory card, Victory cards cost less during your turns (but not less than ).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 04:11:11 am »
+1

I like the asymmetry a card like this can help create.

Makes it easier for players with a linear strategy to get a big enough lead to beat players with an exponential strategy.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 03:59:14 am »

Farm
Type: Action-Duration
Cost:

+2 Actions
Until any player has played 5 or more Action cards on their turn, +1 Buy and Actions cards cost less on your turns.

OK, a non-drawing Village that is only good during the early part of the game for engine building. On itself it does provide 1 or 2 quasi coins and if you have two in play it does provide up to 4 quasi coins. So conditionally temporarily better than Festival but fairly useless for greening. Probably a no-no in Kingdoms without virtual coins.
Not sure about the stop parameter set at 5, this requires testing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:48:23 pm by tristan »

market squire

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 06:27:45 am »

Farm
Type: Action-Duration
Cost:

+2 Actions
+1 Buy
---------------------
Until any player has played 5 or more Action cards on their turn, Actions cards cost less on your turns.
This should be without a dividing line, otherwise the effect is not bound to the Action, thus it were no Duration card and the effect had tracking issues.
I don't like the trigger being something that might not ever happen in a game. Basically, you could just do an Event instead that makes all Actions cheaper for you everytime you buy it (using tokens). The Necro-Ruined Market Action won't be what you'd buy this card for, usually.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 01:51:17 pm »

I realized that I did not consider that the first version does not provide extra buys each turn so I changed it.
It might require some other wording though, the idea is that you don't get the extra buy on your current turn if you have played 5 Action cards.
The card sound superstrong ... but that's just for buildup, in the endgame it is just a Necro.

About an Event variant, I don't like that. You'd need tokens that could stack and these very tokens would need too much words on them so card it is.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 01:18:45 pm »

I'm leery of cards where the counter is to use the card itself. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.