Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Bought 2 cards in first 6 turns! Misplayed, or bad luck?  (Read 2222 times)

kevinb9n

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Bought 2 cards in first 6 turns! Misplayed, or bad luck?
« on: January 28, 2012, 04:00:51 pm »

I lost badly, of course.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/28/game-20120128-125633-056b5f9f.html

Anything I should have done differently, or is this just "sometimes you get the bear..."?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Bought 2 cards in first 6 turns! Misplayed, or bad luck?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 04:05:45 pm »

Dunno what you drew on turn 6. Obviously, if you had $3 you should have bought something. I'm guessing you didn't. So definitely very bad luck. But, you should also prefer sea hag to market here.

kevinb9n

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »

Yep, it was another $2 indeed.

I do often undervalue Sea Hag to my peril, it's true.  I can't seem to understand *why* it's as powerful as it seems to be.  I guess it's the combination of cursing *and* gimping their next hand, but...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:03:32 pm »

I can't seem to understand *why* it's as powerful as it seems to be.

It's the most powerful cursing attack. It gives you a curse each time with none of the defences seen against the torturer, young witch, or mountebank. It puts the curse onto the draw deck so it hurts this turn or your next turn. When you play a market you draw the top card of the deck into hand. This promotes the sea hag into an attack on your current turn. The +1 card, +1 coin from those first two markets looks poor when the extra card is likely to be an estate or curse.

The sea hag's problem is that it provides no boost to your economy at all. As in this case, it often doesn't matter.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 06:52:57 pm »

Exceptionally bad luck.  Even if you'd bought Hag/Silver with your $5s, I don't think it would have worked out any better.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 07:41:27 pm »
+1

Cards I would have bought with $5 over Market... Sea Hag, Swindler, Silver, Lab, Torturer. Mostly I rarely like Market and in this situation it does very little for you. Your first two no buys are bad luck, but from there Market does nothing but hurt. In the first couple of turns your Market can only produce $2 at best, and normally only $1 if it draws a curse or copper. Swindler might have been a good buy for your first turn to try and get some good luck and get rid of his Sea Hag, plus its $2 helps to buy your own Sea Hag in later turns. But I would have gone with Sea Hag instead first.

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 09:19:13 pm »

Horrible luck, but also misplayed. As others have said, the Market was a killer, but on this board with a 5-2 draw you were in serious trouble no matter. The best route probably was Swindler to try and hit the Sea Hag and also improve your own economy. Your other option was probably to go Young Witch (hopefully you avoid his Swindler both in play and in his hand) and add some cycling to your deck and go from there but still, it probably wouldn't have mattered given how this played.

As for the idea of going with a 5 (like Torturer, Lab or the Market you went with) to start, none of them were particularly powerful here and all left you susceptible to being Swindled into a Duchy early and being done in even quicker.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:05:02 pm »

Horrible luck, but also misplayed. As others have said, the Market was a killer, but on this board with a 5-2 draw you were in serious trouble no matter. The best route probably was Swindler to try and hit the Sea Hag and also improve your own economy. Your other option was probably to go Young Witch (hopefully you avoid his Swindler both in play and in his hand) and add some cycling to your deck and go from there but still, it probably wouldn't have mattered given how this played.

As for the idea of going with a 5 (like Torturer, Lab or the Market you went with) to start, none of them were particularly powerful here and all left you susceptible to being Swindled into a Duchy early and being done in even quicker.
Eh, sea hag hitting his sea hag is just as likely, and the hag is probably more important. And getting a 5 swindled isn't really a reason to avoid one here - it's not so much worse than a 4 in the first place, but also, if that happens on either one, you're just dead. So you have to play assuming it won't, 'cause if it does, it don't matta
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.