Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]  All

Author Topic: Dune 3 (Game Over)  (Read 45703 times)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
Re: Dune 3 (Game Over)
« Reply #575 on: October 13, 2016, 08:05:30 pm »

Third or fourth loss in a row for me so I'm going to be done with mafia for a while again!  Last three games unfortunately turned out to be more stress than fun

I totally understand you here.  It was kind of hard having all the games start at once and living for a long time in most of them.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 13, 2016, 08:11:25 pm »

... ? :(

There was no way faust was scum. The setup would've been unbalanced then. And he was cleared by 2 people. And no-one makes up such a fake claim.

It wasn't a normal LyLo! All anyone had to do was vote for me and it was game over for town. That put enormous pressure on me to make a decision immediately. The no-kill was the main thing on my mind and a poison doctor made sense for why a no-kill would occur. When you're panicking you don't always think things through carefully, and I really felt like I didn't have time.

The blame is probably 90% mine, but it didn't help that Faust said very little in the final day. If he had said "You probably are just a poisoner who killed WW last night, and that's why there was no kill." that probably would have been enough to make me realize how stupid I was being.

Mafia is a crapshoot and I really really suck at it, but thanks for the criticism anyway. It means a lot.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 13, 2016, 08:14:15 pm »

And... I immediately regret saying all that! CYA ALL IN LIKE, A MONTH AT LEAST.

PEACE
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 13, 2016, 08:19:41 pm »

Well I get the panic, but really faust was an IC and gkrieg had given himself away as scum with his first post.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 13, 2016, 08:20:12 pm »

But it's just a game. Enjoy your hiatus :)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 13, 2016, 08:20:35 pm »

I always enjoy playing with you iguana!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 13, 2016, 08:24:35 pm »

So if I see this right, then it should have been a scum win ... gkrieg could have voted for both igu and faust in his OP and it'd be game over.

That makes it a bit better.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 13, 2016, 08:33:54 pm »

So if I see this right, then it should have been a scum win ... gkrieg could have voted for both igu and faust in his OP and it'd be game over.

Ya that was really silly of me

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 14, 2016, 01:25:11 am »

Ya that was really silly of me

Yep.

The Leader thing, too.

Spice was important.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 14, 2016, 05:28:51 am »

https://www.quicktopic.com/52/H/TsiTSYat2DjAv

I'm so disappointed that we lost. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure this is a huge vig success streak for me.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: October 14, 2016, 06:08:24 am »

Well that sucked.

If it is any comfort to you, iguana, my losing streak right now is at least as long as yours.

Plus like I lost the last 3 town LyLos by being lynched.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 14, 2016, 07:04:34 am »

Well I could also have voted iguana as the leader in my first post. Which I guess I should have done.

I don't like when it comes down to "who gets to the thread more quickly", but it's hard to prevent that kind of thing when implementing a hated mechanic.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 14, 2016, 09:38:53 am »

I guess not lynching Gkrieg is the new f.ds meta.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 14, 2016, 10:01:51 am »

Well that sucked.

If it is any comfort to you, iguana, my losing streak right now is at least as long as yours.

Plus like I lost the last 3 town LyLos by being lynched.

See, getting killed Night 1 is for your own benefit.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 14, 2016, 10:34:32 am »

I had written a big long thoughts post, but the forum's continuing suckitude ate it.

--this game was shorter than I expected/hoped, even knowing smaller games are short.  I built in lengthening mechanics, including poisoning, the death delayer, etc.  I guess I also built in game shorteners with the spice, though.

--the choose your own alignment mechanic worked as well as it could have, I think.  I like that some players focused on it, some players didn't.  It allowed for some good deception moves by scum, luckily brought up by town.  I've often thought about how to fairly allow players to choose their own alignment, and I think a setup that adjusts based on the number of those who choose bad can definitely work.

--going into D2, it looked fairly certain scum was done.  Chairs was the clear MVP, even if a lot of his moves were at least somewhat luck-based -- he did hammer one scum and vig another.  Town's reads were generally bad when it came to gkrieg, although I'm not convinced he played his best game here.  WW probably had the best reads.

--The Future role was definitely created with a bigger lynch pool in mind -- going into a MYLO/LYLO style situation really did weaken it, although an even roll would have given faust 50% info instead of just 33%.

--I agree with faust that I generally don't like games decided on who logs on the fastest, but the mechanics are what they are and not getting into that position by maintaining spice levels, lynching the scum first, etc. existed.  A limit on the number of Leader changes makes sense in retrospect.

--even still, if igu had hammered gkrieg, town still could have won.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 14, 2016, 10:45:03 am »

--I agree with faust that I generally don't like games decided on who logs on the fastest, but the mechanics are what they are and not getting into that position by maintaining spice levels, lynching the scum first, etc. existed.  A limit on the number of Leader changes makes sense in retrospect.
I mean I would have been fine if you just decided that town was endgamed when D4 started. Maybe I'll include a rule to that effect in future games; if all mafia players being online at Day start would force a mafia win, then they win, or some such. I mean theoretically scum could always lose once they are a majority (if they all self-vote), and we still call the endgame there.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: October 14, 2016, 11:42:44 am »

I mean I would have been fine if you just decided that town was endgamed when D4 started. Maybe I'll include a rule to that effect in future games; if all mafia players being online at Day start would force a mafia win, then they win, or some such. I mean theoretically scum could always lose once they are a majority (if they all self-vote), and we still call the endgame there.

I'm not sure I agree in this case; there are still decisions to be made by scum.  Gkrieg didn't know for certain that anyone was Hated, so for him to come in and vote everyone means exposure in the case that no one was hated. 

This is more like a quicklynch situation: all Mafia being online can win the game, but they have to do it correctly. 

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 14, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »

I agree that I didn't have a very good game. It didn't help that the majority of the game was played while I was V/LA or at LYLO in that other game

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: October 14, 2016, 04:27:44 pm »

Yeah, I was semi-V/LA which wasn't so good. I was also one of the most powerful roles in the game and I could've IC'd myself which sucks. But oh well. My record slips to 6-18
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 18, 2016, 10:42:29 am »

This is an interesting example where killing scum early is not actually that good.  In some cases the games that go Town -> Town -> Town -> Scum lynches are a little easier for all those reactions to look back on. 

This was amplified by Day 2 getting shortened by the RR lynch.  It would have been a lot better if he just came in and posted.  I think the proper move (from objective town) that day was to lynch out of {Gkrieg, Silver, me}, and it's possible I would have gotten mislynched there, but there's a good chance that it would have led to a Gkrieg lynch and victory at some point.

I mean you can say town inactivity hurt this game, but Day 3 felt like such a weird situation.. going back and rereading the thread was just really not that helpful.. It felt basically the same as the start of Day 2. 

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 19, 2016, 01:59:14 pm »

I don't understand. @faust, knowing that exactly one of the three futures you were shown would lead to a town win should prove to you that gkriek is scum, no?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]  All

Page created in 1.927 seconds with 20 queries.