Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Minion Stack (w/ no support) vs. Terminal Draw-BM  (Read 1612 times)

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
Minion Stack (w/ no support) vs. Terminal Draw-BM
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:51:49 pm »

hello everyone, i've been thinking about making comparison threads to help us better gauge the strength of different cards/strategies.  this one occurred to me after a recent game where i tried the latter and got destroyed by the former.  this was with one of the $5 Smithy variants, Journeyman or Catacombs i think.

basically, i've heard Wandering Winder (IIRC) argue that any decent terminal draw-BM strat should beat a Minion stack if there's no other support for the Minions.  "support" in this case means other virtual coin or any trashing.  the argument is that your deck will choke on green in a hurry and you won't be able to play enough of those Minions for money, but now i'm not so sure.

i think in the BM seat, you may have to green even earlier than normal so the Minion player won't have time to get all 10 of them.  in the game i mentioned, my opponent got all 10 and hardly had a problem reaching $8.  that still sounds so sketchy though, and it really makes me question that advice.

any thoughts?

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
Re: Minion Stack (w/ no support) vs. Terminal Draw-BM
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 01:30:46 pm »
+2

Simulator work says:

Two Catacombses starting greening at 18 money in deck beats minion stack which starts greening at 6 minions in deck (both give highest win percentages against other) 64-31.

Two Journeymans starting greening at 18 money in deck beats minion stack which starts greening at 6 minions in deck (both give highest win percentages against other) 65-30.

30% is not 0%. Crap happens.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 02:03:03 pm »
+1

I agree with the sim results and your gut instinct -- straight Minion with no support shouldn't be all that strong.  I do wonder, what the heck were you doing while your opponent was geting 10 Minions!?  Assuming that's maybe 14-18 turns, shouldn't that be well enough time for a decent BM deck to get a big head start on Provinces?

Completely unrelated, but regarding comparing decks.. I wonder if there are 3 decks such that deck A is better than deck B, deck B better than C, and C better than A.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 02:06:19 pm »

Completely unrelated, but regarding comparing decks.. I wonder if there are 3 decks such that deck A is better than deck B, deck B better than C, and C better than A.
https://graphics.stanford.edu/~mdfisher/DominionAI.html#SimpleAndComplexKingdoms

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 07:51:16 am »

So basically TerminalDraw-BM vs Minion-BM ? Minion is good, but not that good that it beats good BM strategy without support. I'd expect any of SmithyBM, JourneymanBM, WharfBM, CouncilRoomBM and CourtyardBM to comfortably beat unsupported Minions, and traces Around's simulator data seems to confirm this.

This is an old interested game: strong BM strategy with Courtyard/Hoard/Island/Harem against Minions with awesome support (Forager), and even then - these two seem to be more or less evenly matched:

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.