Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Battle of the Trashers  (Read 3658 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Battle of the Trashers
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:49:37 pm »
+2

Code: [Select]
Expedition, Plan, Raze, Develop, Forager, Shanty Town, Alchemist, Duplicate, Apprentice, Highway, Grand Market, Hoard
We have Estates, no Colonies, and a log.

So game plan was pretty clear here: Highway, Grand Market, buy all the cheap stuff. The interesting question is, how to get there?

We have Forager, Plan, Raze, Develop, Apprentice. So much trashing. But which is best? I went for the faster Raze in the opening, while Jeebus preferred Forager. I made a Plan with Highways, and so did Jeebus, but I'm not convinced it was really worth it; Expedition would probably have been the better event. So I was left with some questions:

Which is the best way to trash on this board? Go probably open either Forager or Raze. Is Develop helpful (gaining more trashers early)? On 5/2, do you open Apprentice/Raze, or rather Highway? Is Plan needed at all?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Trashers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 09:56:36 pm »

Plan is nice as an opening, but I think it is a much better idea to get to cycling your deck as quickly as possible. I would open Raze/Shanty Town. Forager is excellent and provides economy long term along with a +buy, but Raze does cycle a bit faster. You will want a Forager on the next shuffle, buy Highway on first $5, get a Duplicate if you hit $4, play from there. You could play with Apprentice Hoard Gold drawing, but that takes awhile to set up so probably not worth it. Alchemist is a nice thing to go for, but getting the Highways has to be a bigger priority and Alchemists takes a bit to set up anyways.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:15:05 pm »
+1

Apprentice seems really bad because highway. I personally prefer to get super thin (olny 4 non drawing cards). The game will probably end on piles so have to watch those carefully. 1 duplicate
Seems quite strong. Expedition is Very good so always keep an eye on that. Plan on Highway second shuffle seems strong.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:30:51 pm »
+1

Cycling is overrated sometimes. In this case it's cycling at the expense of economy. I would definitely get Forager over Raze. Maybe one of each but you certainly want Forager to hit $5 sooner and more often than you ever could with Raze. I would get a Raze to get rid of the Forager at some point, so maybe you even open Forager / Raze idk, but otherwise I'll stick with the one that pays you.

Duplicate could be a really important card in this set. It lets you quickly gain several Grand Markets at once and with two Highways it can even gain Provinces as part of a mega turn.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:39:06 pm »

Sorry, I sometimes mention other potential strategies that pop up in my head like Apprentice/Hoard. I dismissed it, but I think it is still worth considering, if only for the good habit of not jumping on the first thing you see instantly.

Highway is your economy. You will need some help to get to the first Highway, but I think I much prefer getting Raze to cycle a bit more, maybe spike $5. After that, the job of getting Highways gets much easier, especially with a Duplicate. Forager will be nice to have for the +buy though, so perhaps it is better to get earlier than later, if only to not waste another turn picking one up. Yes, I am convinced. Forager is a better opening buy.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:41:46 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:47:53 pm »

Cycling is overrated sometimes. In this case it's cycling at the expense of economy. I would definitely get Forager over Raze. Maybe one of each but you certainly want Forager to hit $5 sooner and more often than you ever could with Raze. I would get a Raze to get rid of the Forager at some point, so maybe you even open Forager / Raze idk, but otherwise I'll stick with the one that pays you.

Duplicate could be a really important card in this set. It lets you quickly gain several Grand Markets at once and with two Highways it can even gain Provinces as part of a mega turn.
raze is probably better at hitting five than forager is first shuffle especially when paired with silver as an opening. Forager Is olny slightly better than curse at hitting five for two shuffles while raze can find you your silver.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 11:50:06 pm »

Which is the best way to trash on this board? Go probably open either Forager or Raze. Is Develop helpful (gaining more trashers early)? On 5/2, do you open Apprentice/Raze, or rather Highway? Is Plan needed at all?

There are a lot of options for trashing here.

Raze/Shanty is a bit better than Forager/Shanty because of the extra early cycling.

I like the following opening:

1. Plan on forager
2. Forager
3. Forager
4. Expedition
5. Highway
6+ Expedition/Highway,Grand Markets as available

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 02:09:15 am »

What if you opened plan/expedition? Get your trashing on highways early, use the early expedition to spike five, and get your first highway t3?
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 05:14:17 am »

Raze+forager.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 06:30:11 am »

What if you opened plan/expedition? Get your trashing on highways early, use the early expedition to spike five, and get your first highway t3?

You'll be a sad panda if you draw 4C3E.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 09:19:00 am »

You'll be a sad panda if you draw 4C3E.

Just buy Expedition again. Probably won't happen twice, and you'll immediately shuffle. Worth considering I guess.

Silver / Raze and a Forager when you miss $5 is probably the way to go. The difficult thing about Plan here is you can't trash Coppers you have in play with it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 12:32:17 pm »

The problem with Raze is that if you don't hit Estate it gives you absolutely nothing. First shuffle you're probably gonna hit Estate, but after that it gets less likely. (Of course here Faust hits all 3 Estates.) In the end though I don't think it actually matters much in this kind of fast game whether you open Raze/Forager, Raze/Shanty, Forager/Shanty, etc. What will matter is just the luck of the draw. Here I got all my Shanties lumped at the bottom twice in a row (turn 9 and turn 11), and that sealed my fate.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2016, 05:20:03 am »

The problem with Raze is that if you don't hit Estate it gives you absolutely nothing. First shuffle you're probably gonna hit Estate, but after that it gets less likely. (Of course here Faust hits all 3 Estates.) In the end though I don't think it actually matters much in this kind of fast game whether you open Raze/Forager, Raze/Shanty, Forager/Shanty, etc. What will matter is just the luck of the draw. Here I got all my Shanties lumped at the bottom twice in a row (turn 9 and turn 11), and that sealed my fate.

FWIW, I think getting more than one Shanty Town here was a mistake.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 10:38:04 am »

FWIW, I think getting more than one Shanty Town here was a mistake.

Maybe a third one, who knows. (By my third buy, I was probably losing anyway.) It's a gamble, just like Raze in a way. With Shanties you don't want them to collide, with Raze you want to collide with Estates.

After turn 7, we had the same deck, except I had a Duplicate and a Shanty for your Raze. Also I had a Copper for your Estate. And that's even with you hitting Raze+Estate twice. But on turn 8, drawing Raze with your third Estate, plus drawing your Shanty, meant you could buy another Highway. Meanwhile I had a bad draw, and couldn't afford one.  On turn 10 you drew your Duplicate with your Shanty (no collision). This kind of shuffle luck is really decisive in a game this close, much more than choosing between Forager/Raze/Shanty/Silver.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.916 seconds with 20 queries.