Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Intentional AFKers  (Read 5501 times)

raymondwup4

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Intentional AFKers
« on: June 25, 2016, 04:04:01 am »

Hello, first post here so I apologize if this is in the wrong section or missing something.

I was wondering if there was anything being planned to address people who intentionally Afk in games. On multiple occasions I've had players who are extremely impatient while I spend 30 seconds contemplating my next move and they will often be rude in chat and or Afk and play one card at a time to stop the auto Afk detection. Then I am forced to forfeit and lose ranking or stoop to their level and play their stupid waiting game. This is extremely frustrating for the player. I propose that the Afk detection timer be adjusted because currently somebody could take an hour to complete turn 1 and not be punished.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
Re: Intentional AFKers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 04:35:43 am »
+1

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, you probably won't see any changes concerning the issues you've mentioned in the current implementation of the game.
If you still want to address the people who are now responsible for development you can address them here:
http://forum.makingfun.com/forumdisplay.php?78-Dominion

On the bright side, we expect a lot of positive changes in online Dominion in 2017. You can read more about it here:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15162.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 04:37:00 am »
+2

The best solution to this is to slow play them back.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:57:33 pm »
+2

Also issue an ultimatum in chat that if they are going to waste your time, you will waste theirs. They will either play more quickly or you will get a free win via resignation. Do not rage in chat, that gives them what they want. Listen to music, do homework, and slow play them back.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 09:29:47 pm »
+4

I disagree. Online ranks are meaningless, time is precious.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 02:28:04 am »

And teaching a slow player a lesson is invaluable.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 07:55:09 am »
+1

What lesson?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 08:29:47 am »
+4

Fighting a battle for the sole reason of being able to win is foolish. Proving this to you is such a battle, and i am not a fool.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:52:41 am »

What lesson?

That slow playing doesn't earn them rating points. Teaching them the opposite lesson, however, is harmful.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 09:06:33 am »

For me it depends. If I want to play more interesting games, I resign and play more games to restore rating (they can't all be afkers ever). If i'm playing to waste time i just do other stuff meanwhile.
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 11:25:29 am »

The important thing is that if you're going to slowroll a slowrolling opponent, you should at the very least do something useful with your time. Asper is right; time is precious.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 11:30:00 am »
+2

One of the things I do miss about Goko is you could just start a second game in another tab while playing your battle of attrition against slow rollers.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 12:18:15 pm »

What lesson?

That slow playing doesn't earn them rating points. Teaching them the opposite lesson, however, is harmful.

An individual however, cannot prevent them from learning that they can achieve rating points (or perhaps simply enjoyment derived from the rage of others, if that is what they are seeking).  Even if you have the patience and available time to combat them, there will always be others who cannot, or will not. If this was not true, these people would not abuse the system in this way.

The only thing that can eliminate this behavior is removing the loophole they use to abuse the system. A perfect system may be hard to achieve, but it has to be trivially easy to have something significantly better than what exists.

If you have the desire and available time to fight back against this type of player, by all means do it. Even if it only prevents them from moving on to their next victim for a little longer, you are doing the community a service.  It is unlikely however, that you will convince them to stop their behavior while the system still allows it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 12:33:49 pm »
+1

In other news, how to stop crime in a free society.

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 12:35:23 pm »
+2

It is unlikely however, that you will convince them to stop their behavior while the system still allows it.

Please do screenshot and report the behavior to Making Fun. Also, ask them to come up with a policy on this sort of thing.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 12:41:34 pm »
+8

It is unlikely however, that you will convince them to stop their behavior while the system still allows it.

Please do screenshot and report the behavior to Making Fun. Also, ask them to come up with a policy on this sort of thing.

They have a policy: such players will be unable to play Dominion Online.  Effective Jan 1, 2017.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 01:27:11 pm »

An individual however, cannot prevent them from learning that they can achieve rating points (or perhaps simply enjoyment derived from the rage of others, if that is what they are seeking).  Even if you have the patience and available time to combat them, there will always be others who cannot, or will not. If this was not true, these people would not abuse the system in this way.

The only thing that can eliminate this behavior is removing the loophole they use to abuse the system. A perfect system may be hard to achieve, but it has to be trivially easy to have something significantly better than what exists.

If you have the desire and available time to fight back against this type of player, by all means do it. Even if it only prevents them from moving on to their next victim for a little longer, you are doing the community a service.  It is unlikely however, that you will convince them to stop their behavior while the system still allows it.

I'm mostly doing it in hopes of them remembering it the next time they get matched against me.

dedicateddan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 04:08:41 pm »

Killing people...

I get the joke, now let's be respectful here.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 09:15:57 pm »
+4

Killing people...

I was thinking of instead using that infamous Thomas Jefferson quote regarding the elimination of factions as a cure worse than the disease, but I refrained because it was probably too vague, so I instead opted for the spirit of the reference. I don't actually think MF is a 'cancer' either. It's just a meme to hate all Dominion applications. Another meme is explaining jokes, so double points!

edit: removed the post anyways.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:51:59 am by Seprix »

dedicateddan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 11:35:43 pm »

Killing people...

I was thinking of instead using that infamous Thomas Jefferson quote regarding the elimination of factions as a cure worse than the disease, but I refrained because it was probably too vague, so I instead opted for the spirit of the reference. I don't actually think MF is a 'cancer' either. It's just a meme to hate all Dominion applications. Another meme is explaining jokes, so double points!

I'll +1 that!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.989 seconds with 21 queries.