Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Silver pile killed me...  (Read 1806 times)

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Silver pile killed me...
« on: January 27, 2012, 12:21:17 am »

game log

Frankly speaking I should be more cautious... but I've never encountered this situation before. With border's village, talisman, trader, and garden, I thought it would be fun to go for a garden deck. And pretty fun it is!

The garden splitted 6-2 (I opted for BV+garden for a couple of times when I can get Province, not sure if it's the correct play) and I thought I am steadly heading toward victory. I have just traded my BV for 6 silvers, and buy another silver with talisman. But I didn't get the two silvers. The pile is depleted. And the game ended with BV, garden, and silver. I lost by 2 points, with 58 cards in deck.

MrZNF

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Silver pile killed me...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 06:49:02 am »

You seem to have gotten 1 of the two silvers, so it seems doubtful you could get to 60 cards that turn. You could have however just not gone for the silvers there I guess and buy more VP's

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:08:54 am »

Your play was pretty good and i'm sure i would've made a similar error here (bad luck?).  The way you got around embargoes (traders/border village gains) was great. 

I would say turns 4 and 5 were odd buys to me.  Surprised you didn't grab smugglers in either of these turns.  If smugglers/traders collides, its not nearly as bad (smuggle and buy random and 'trader it' to silver at least) and smugglers has a lot more potential with border village too.  The talismans don't help out all that much (i counted only twice helping).

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 01:20:38 pm »

Whether I should get a smuggler is an interesting issue. For me, the following things are the factors:

(1) smuggler is only better when you can smuggle BV. Given Garden is expected to be embargoed I don't expect I will be able to smuggle Garden. Otherwise it is "usually" the same as the talisman. Of course, when the smuggler hit with the opponent's province it is pretty bad. (And the talisman is bad when it is drawn with a BV buying hand... which happened more often than I expected...)

(2) However, when it collides with trader, with talisman you can either get one more card by trading itself, getting 4 silvers instead of 3, or you can buy an embargoed card to gain one more silver via trader.

(3) Maybe the most important factor, I was expecting BV to be embargoed. I was planning just to bite the curses.

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 01:58:58 pm »

Aren't there supposed to be infinite treasures, so the Silver pile can't actually run out?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4387
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 05:15:20 pm »

Aren't there supposed to be infinite treasures, so the Silver pile can't actually run out?
No.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 20 queries.