Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Seprix's Empires Reviews  (Read 2582 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Seprix's Empires Reviews
« on: June 22, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »
+1

Before I make a video talking about all of the cards and what I think of them later, I must first play Empires games. So I will.

The first game I played:

Charm, Crown, Groundskeeper, Legionary, City Quarter, Settlers, Castles, Sacrifice, Temple, Engineer

Events: Wedding, Triumph

Landmarks: Basilica, Labyrinth

Me: 85
Opponent: 89

Three pile of Estates, Duchies, and Castles.

What I learned: Groundskeeper is fantastic. I opened 5/2, and got Sacrifice/Engineer, which ended up being horrible. I sacrificed my Engineer later on. In retrospect, getting Temple may have been better because it thins quicker, but I wanted to spike $5, which I had the unfortunate $4/$4, so I ended up getting Silver/Silver instead. I should have gotten another Sacrifice, but I did not, because I am an idiot. Anyways, I played horrible in the beginning, and my brother went for Castles. He was pretty ahead, but I loaded up on Crowns, Charms, and Groundskeepers, and threw a City Quarter in there for good measure. We got to Bustling Village, and I got one of those as well.

I continued making some mistakes, buying Duchy way too early when I should have kept simply gaining Groundskeepers/Crowns/Charms, but oh well. I got reasonably ahead in VP tokens, so I thought it would be fine to end the game with a Triumph, but as it turns out, my brother slightly edged me out in Provinces. Still, very high score game, and I am looking forward to the next game.

I have no current way to simply build a Kingdom with the Visualizer, so I hope there's some sort of alternate Kingdom printer thing.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Seprix's Empires Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 12:19:03 am »

The second game I played, I got flattened. I forgot what happened, but I played like an idiot because I was half asleep, an my brother played Big Money Wild Hunt while I was screwing around with Overlord because it was my avatar, so he won easily. I don't know, I suck at real life Dominion for some reason.

The third game I played, today, was the first time we played with Fortune. My brother was going to play Fortune Big Money. Legionary was on the board, as was Windfall and Junk Dealer and City Quarter, so I decided to go for the big engine with Legionary punishment. (he doesn't play serious engines ever even though he is aware of them, so he's not as good a gauge for the power level of cards, but it's all I have). I bought two Dominiates because of Fortune which is insane, and then he resigns, yada yada yada.

All that being said, I'm basically just learning what Orange already confirmed so far. Nothing really new to talk about. If I was playing Empires with someone from the forums, I think something much bigger would happen. I know LastFootnote is around. Who knows.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:22:18 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ced

• Salvager
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 09:01:40 am »
+1

The first game I played:

Charm, Crown, Groundskeeper, Legionary, City Quarter, Settlers, Castles, Sacrifice, Temple, Engineer

Is some sort of Golden deck viable here? Legionary/Gold/Sacrifice with a City Quarter and a bunch of Groundskeepers. You could add Charm so you can buy Duchy/Groundskeeper for the Labyrinth points. Wedding means you can easily pick up the Gold whenever, so it's a question of how quickly Temple/Sacrifice trash down. Seems like your opponent would never hit $9+ in a Castles deck vs Legionary.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 10:41:46 am »

The first game I played:

Is some sort of Golden deck viable here? Legionary/Gold/Sacrifice with a City Quarter and a bunch of Groundskeepers. You could add Charm so you can buy Duchy/Groundskeeper for the Labyrinth points. Wedding means you can easily pick up the Gold whenever, so it's a question of how quickly Temple/Sacrifice trash down. Seems like your opponent would never hit $9+ in a Castles deck vs Legionary.

I never bought Legionary until the third game, even though I wanted to. I also didn't really buy City Quarter that game either. I don't know, it's a combination of me not really trying too hard because I want to have fun with who I play with and inexperience with the cards. What you said there is a much better plan, though it is a little tricky to see how to thin down. Maybe Temple is a better trasher, but Sacrifice was pretty slow, even if it was a nice trasher.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:53:26 am »
+1

All that being said, I'm basically just learning what Orange already confirmed so far. Nothing really new to talk about. If I was playing Empires with someone from the forums, I think something much bigger would happen. I know LastFootnote is around. Who knows.

Just shoot me a PM, dude. You're the one who wasn't available the last time we talked about it.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 01:50:56 pm »
+1

Just shoot me a PM, dude. You're the one who wasn't available the last time we talked about it.

Same goes for me, I haven't even played it yet.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:05 pm »
+3

I have no current way to simply build a Kingdom with the Visualizer, so I hope there's some sort of alternate Kingdom printer thing.

Get Chrome, install the extension.  ;)

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 02:49:47 pm »

I recommend getting Opera and then installing the extension.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 03:02:33 pm »

Get Chrome, install the extension.  ;)

Chrome is too slow! I eagerly await the Firefox expansion though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 20 queries.