Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Simple Rules Questions  (Read 66463 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Rules Questions
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2018, 09:46:47 pm »

If the "lose track" rule doesn't apply here, how does it apply to anything?

Lose track has always stopped cards from being moved; and nothing else. Doesn't stop cards from being played; or having their cost checked; or anything like that. It does stop cards from being trashed; but only because the definition of "trash" is "to move to the trash from outside of the trash".
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2018, 06:03:21 pm »

Does the game ends after last player's night phase ?

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2018, 06:07:46 pm »
+3

Does the game ends after last player's night phase ?
It ends after their cleanup, but yes that's after their night phase.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2018, 06:16:43 pm »

There are 6 Ghosts, which is clearly meant to be 1 per player. Does this mean it isn't possible to gain more than one Ghost with Exorcist?
(Is there only supposed to be one Ghost in the game per player, or is it a pile of 6 Ghosts regardless of number of players?)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1606
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2018, 06:24:24 pm »
+1

There are 6 Ghosts, which is clearly meant to be 1 per player. Does this mean it isn't possible to gain more than one Ghost with Exorcist?
(Is there only supposed to be one Ghost in the game per player, or is it a pile of 6 Ghosts regardless of number of players?)

There are always 6 Ghosts. You are not limited to one Ghost. I think the number 6 was chosen so that in a 6-player game with Cemetery, each player would be able to gain one.

Edited to add: Also in 2- and 3-player, the Ghosts can be divided evenly among the players. This is probably slightly more relevant.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:57:11 pm by singletee »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2018, 06:24:43 pm »

I've had 2 Ghosts.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2018, 06:25:48 pm »

The only stacks that change with the number of players are victory/ruins/curse cards

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2018, 07:06:07 pm »
+2

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17955.0

it seemed like it would be nice if some other card got you a Ghost. I tried a few things, and one problem was, there weren't very many Ghosts. You didn't get very many with Exorcist, so there weren't very many; space was limited, even with 500 cards. So the new thing had to not make very many Ghosts. And well an Heirloom was perfect, it caps out at one per player. There were a couple quick versions of it and then it locked in. And got paired with Cemetery because of the Ghost angle and wanting to be on a trasher.

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:01 am »

opponent plays a doom against me.
i've got diplomat in hand.

when do i choose to reveal?  before or after I know what the hex will be?
do i have the choice to draw before or after the hex applies (relevant for greed)?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2018, 10:57:03 am »
+4

opponent plays a doom against me.
i've got diplomat in hand.

when do i choose to reveal?  before or after I know what the hex will be?
do i have the choice to draw before or after the hex applies (relevant for greed)?

You must choose to reveal Diplomat and do the drawing and discarding before the Hex is revealed.

The "First" in Diplomat's text means that you do it right when they've played the attack; before they've followed any instructions on the Attack.

This question used to come up a lot with reactions to attacks such as Pirate Ship and Minion, where the player can choose how to use the card. And in the same way, you must reveal Moat or another reaction before the player makes their choice.

As a side note; first edition Moat didn't have "First", but the rule was still the same. However, the wording was inconsistent with the way other "when" events happened, because "when X happens" in general means "as soon as X is done happening", but "when a player plays an attack" has always been an exception to this. Adding "First" to the reaction wording was meant to clarify this.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 11:02:17 am by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Leslie Knope

• Pearl Diver
  • Shuffle iT Username: Leslie Knope
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2018, 12:30:02 pm »

If you Kings Court a Mining Village and trash it the first time it is played, will you still get to play the Mining Village 2 more times?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2018, 12:33:11 pm »

If you Kings Court a Mining Village and trash it the first time it is played, will you still get to play the Mining Village 2 more times?
Yes. A card does not need to be in play for it to be replayed with a card like King's Court.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2018, 07:03:02 pm »

Yes. A card does not need to be in play for it to be replayed with a card like King's Court.

But worth noting that it will stay in the trash for the second and third play; and you will not be able to trash it again for more coin.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: DEGwer
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2019, 09:33:26 am »

Is the following argument true?

Assume I already bought the project Sewers. I play Band of Misfits to play Treasure Map. I trash a Treasure Map from my hand, and trash another Treasure Map from my hand by effect of Sewers. I trashed two Treasure Maps before evaluating the "if" clause, thus I can gain four Golds.

I tried it on Dominion Online but didn't gain Golds.

Although this question is so particular in real-play, I am just curious about it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:46:24 am by DEGwer »

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2019, 09:52:41 am »

Assume I already bought the project Sewers. I play Band of Misfits to play Treasure Map. I trash a Treasure Map from my hand, and trash another Treasure Map from my hand by effect of Sewers. I trashed two Treasure Maps before evaluating the "if" clause, thus I can gain four Golds.

Although this question is so particular in real-play, I am just curious about it.

Online is correct, that doesn't work. Treasure Map only checks what you trashed while resolving it, and ignores e.g. Sewers. Also Band doesn't work with Map, as you can't trash the original Map from the supply.

DEGwer

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: DEGwer
  • Respect: +29
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2019, 10:04:42 am »

Online is correct, that doesn't work. Treasure Map only checks what you trashed while resolving it, and ignores e.g. Sewers. Also Band doesn't work with Map, as you can't trash the original Map from the supply.

Things seems to go as following:
- Play a Band of Misfits.
-- Play a Treasure Map by Band of Misfits. It leaves on Supply.
--- Trash a Treasure Map from hand.
---- Trash another Treasure Map from hand by effect of Sewers.
--- Count the number of trashed Treasure Maps. It is two, thus I can gain four Golds.

In this flow, two Treasure Maps are trashed while resolving Treasure Map on Supply.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2019, 11:36:30 am »

No, "if you trashed two Treasure Maps" is a form of "if you did" - that is to say, it checks whether you did what the card told you to. It refers specifically to the two Treasure Maps mentioned in the previous sentence.

If you were to interpret it completely literally, you would gain Golds as long as you had trashed two Treasure Maps at some point during the game (on earlier turns). But that's clearly not what it means.

(The card could actually be phrased "If you trashed both Treasure Maps" to make it more accurate.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2019, 12:01:37 pm »

MTG uses the phrase “this way” to make this clarification. “Counter target spell. If that spell is countered this way...” This makes it clear that if the spell is countered by something else, the thing doesn’t happen.

harryparry

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2020, 10:19:20 am »
+1

I had a game with sculptor (this can be any gainer), royal carriage, innovation and watchtower.

Here's the situation. I played a village, then played some RC. My plan was to then play the sculptor, gain a watchtower and play it through innovation, then call the RC's on the sculptor to gain some more stuff. Dominion online however only presented the option of calling the RC on the watchtower.

The question is if you can call RC on a gainer when play is interrupted by playing the gained action card through innovation?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2020, 10:46:20 am »
+3

I had a game with sculptor (this can be any gainer), royal carriage, innovation and watchtower.

Here's the situation. I played a village, then played some RC. My plan was to then play the sculptor, gain a watchtower and play it through innovation, then call the RC's on the sculptor to gain some more stuff. Dominion online however only presented the option of calling the RC on the watchtower.

The question is if you can call RC on a gainer when play is interrupted by playing the gained action card through innovation?

Yes, I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed to do that. Innovation is just a triggered when-gain ability. After you're done with Innovation, you're still doing Sculptor. Sculptor's next instruction is "If it's a Treasure, +1 Villager". This happens now, after you played the Watchtower. (In this case you don't get a Villager, but in theory you could have. You could have gained a Crown for instance, and played it with Innovation.) After that instruction, you're done with Sculptor, and you can call RC on Sculptor.

But note that after you play Watchtower, you should also get the option to call RC on the Watchtower. If you say no to that, THEN (after the potential +1 Villager) you should get the option to call RC on the Sculptor. Are you sure this wasn't what happened?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:47:28 am by Jeebus »

harryparry

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2020, 10:54:03 am »
+1

I agree with your theoretical answer, I don't even think the second part of text is necessary to go back having the sculptor as the active card.

Regarding your second comment it could very well be that that is what happened. Although I do not remember the RC button with a sculptor in the corner coming up. I don't have the expansions online but somebody could try.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2020, 11:02:29 am »

I agree with your theoretical answer, I don't even think the second part of text is necessary to go back having the sculptor as the active card.
You're right, it was just to illustrate that we're not done with Sculptor. But that would be the case even without the second part.

Ingix

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ingix
  • Respect: +424
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2020, 12:39:56 pm »
+1

I checked the game, and harryparry played "Sculptor --> gain Watchtower--> play Watchtower with Innovation" in turns 13 and 18. Each time (for me in the replay) the question came up if to RC the Watchtower. When I declined, the next option was in both cases to RC the Sculptor.

Of course, it's always possible that it didn't happen in the real game, but I doubt it.

Hawkmouth

• Swindler
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2020, 12:31:17 pm »

Swindler vs. empty draw pile:

What, if i'm attacking my opponent(s) with swindler, but he don't have any cards in his draw pile? Is he shuffling the discard pile at that point and take the top card from the new built draw pile?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 07, 2020, 12:34:42 pm »
+3

Swindler vs. empty draw pile:

What, if i'm attacking my opponent(s) with swindler, but he don't have any cards in his draw pile? Is he shuffling the discard pile at that point and take the top card from the new built draw pile?

Yes, whenever you need a card from your deck and it's empty, you shuffle. It could be drawing, revealing, trashing, discarding, setting aside...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.