Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Author Topic: Simple Rules Questions  (Read 66533 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Rules Questions
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2022, 04:05:31 pm »

Note that actions and victories are 0+; I need something that cannot put more than 1 treasure card in my hand, while letting me night cards. I use hunter for actions and victories, so If necessary I can drain my deck to just treasures and nights.

It's not clear exactly what you are trying to ultimately accomplish, but cards like Forum and Warehouse are generally good for getting specific cards / card types while avoiding others.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

IlstrawberrySeed

• Baron
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2022, 03:51:09 pm »

It is for a puzzle, and I need a way to stop myself from drawing an infinite number of treasures, while drawing an infinite number of Actions, victories, and nights. Basically, using rogue, watchtower, mandarin, Scepter and hunter, I can play X Sceptars as hunter to draw X Scepters and Y actions/victories, Play rogue to gain mandarin, revealing watchtower to trash, and put the X Sceptars andRogue on your deck. Play X Sceptars, to draw X scepters, rogue, and Y actions/victories. Play rogue, gain and trash mandarin. Repeat.
This gives infintinite action and victory draw, but only Cycles treasures, and is incapable of drawing nights - specifically changing. I need to find a way to draw the changelings in mass without allowing myself to draw more treasures that used.

Warehouse and forum let me draw multiple treasures and discard the actions/victories. So, I was hoping there was something like hunter that prevents me from drawing more than 1 treasure, but lets me draw nights, or something like Adventurer that lets me grab more than 1 Changing per Scepter.

It doesn't sound like that is possible with current published cards.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2022, 10:56:18 pm »

When using Fated and playing Smithy, can I look what I will draw before shuffling?

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2022, 05:10:03 am »

When using Fated and playing Smithy, can I look what I will draw before shuffling?

The rulebook says yes:
"In games with Fated, you can look through your deck before shuffling, even if you're sure you don't have any Fated cards."

But actually this was already a general rule according to Donald.
The wording "in games with Fated..." makes it sound like this rule is not in effect in games without Fated. Does that mean that the general rule has been removed?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 19, 2022, 11:44:02 am »

The rulebook says yes:
"In games with Fated, you can look through your deck before shuffling, even if you're sure you don't have any Fated cards."

The wording "in games with Fated..." makes it sound like this rule is not in effect in games without Fated. Does that mean that the general rule has been removed?
In the post you link, I'm saying that if you play Smithy with two cards left, you can look at those two cards.

In the rulebook text you quote, I'm saying that you can look through every card you're shuffling, in games with Fated.

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 19, 2022, 01:17:00 pm »

The rulebook says yes:

In the post you link, I'm saying that if you play Smithy with two cards left, you can look at those two cards.

In the rulebook text you quote, I'm saying that you can look through every card you're shuffling, in games with Fated.

The rulebook text doesn't actually say that, but I think maybe I understand now. It says you can look through your deck before shuffling, in games with Fated. But I think it's supposed to say "look through the cards before shuffling", which is what you're saying now. You still have a deck when shuffling (per the new 2nd-edition shuffle rule) and that's not what that rule text is meant to refer to.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2023, 04:58:03 am »

When does "the start of your Clean-up" end?

I have played 2 Fishermans and 1 Improve.  No card is in my discard pile.  Can I discard a Fisherman and trash the other to gain a Gold?

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2023, 08:04:51 am »
+1

When nothing left to do at "the start of your Clean-up"! And when you don't want to use optional things for that.

I have played 2 Fishermans and 1 Improve.  No card is in my discard pile.  Can I discard a Fisherman and trash the other to gain a Gold?
No!

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2023, 10:03:54 pm »

When nothing left to do at "the start of your Clean-up"! And when you don't want to use optional things for that.

No!

I do agree, but what makes us sure?  "When you have nothing to discard (before drawing next hand), the start of your Clean-up ends" is also acceptable, isn't it?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2023, 04:37:38 am »
+1

No!

I do agree, but what makes us sure?  "When you have nothing to discard (before drawing next hand), the start of your Clean-up ends" is also acceptable, isn't it?

Sure, "start of Clean-up" could be referring to the first part of your Clean-up phase. But that's just not how "the start of" phases are used in Dominion. The start of your Action phase, Buy phase and Clean-up phase all come at the very beginning, before you start doing anything else in that phase. It's practically the same as "before the start", but it does count as being in the phase, which could matter in a few situations (like Crown). "The end of" phases work the same way.

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 18, 2023, 11:39:05 pm »
+1

Shaman for Way of the Mouse is "using this"?

Jeebus

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2023, 09:07:21 am »
+1

Shaman for Way of the Mouse is "using this"?
Yes, Way of the Mouse means that the card is being used in the game. Same with Duchess, and cards with setup instructions like Black Market.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.