Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mystic Vale  (Read 3599 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Mystic Vale
« on: June 12, 2016, 12:46:08 am »

Has anybody had a chance to play it?  The card building mechanism really sparks my interest.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: Mystic Vale
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 06:05:43 pm »
+1

Never heard of it, thanks for sharing, sounds interesting.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:52:18 pm »
+1

Ugh, "hit until you bust" is so stressful.  I know it probably works out fine especially when mastered.  But stressful.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 11:54:19 pm »

FWIW I haven't played it.  The gimmick interests me, but not enough to get me to buy it.  I'm going to try to keep an eye out for it when I visit my local board game cafe though.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:48:53 am »
+1

I recently got introduced to Gloom and was pretty enamored with the translucent card format, so I'm going to do a bit more research on this one. I am a bit worried to hear about the lack of player interaction, though I'll reserve judgement on that for when I play it - quite a few folks shit on vanilla Dominion for the same reason, and that's never been a big enough deal to stop me from enjoying it.

Like eHal said, it might not be worth buying for the central mechanic alone, but it certainly warrants a play.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 07:08:29 pm »

I've played this. Essentially another dominion clone except you upgrade your cards. It's fun for a while but nowhere near as good as Dominion.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 08:18:23 pm »

A couple of my friends have played it and one wants to buy it and the other isn't so keen. Guess that's not a helpful recommendation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 11:20:37 pm »
+3

I still haven't tried this game, but an expansion was announcedMystic Vale: Vale of Magic.  Kind of hilariously generic considering the base game name.  Donald X. could follow suit with Dominion: Domain, or Dominion: Dominance.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:23:55 pm by eHalcyon »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »
+1

I played this last weekend, a friend brought it back from Gencon.  It was quite the hit, all of my friends who demo'ed it at Gencon liked it enough to buy it.

It was not a hit with me, though.  The building a card mechanic is meaningful about 20% of the time, but you have to fool with sleeving cards 100% of the time.
The push your luck mechanic is pretty nasty with how it combines with the scaling effect of deckbuilders.  It's very common to get into an early game situation where it's definitely correct to push, but the upside of the bad push is exponential scaling that will cascade through the rest of the game, and the downside of the push is exponential unscaling that will cascade through the rest of the game.  It's kinda like Dominion composed of nothing but kingdoms where Swindler/Swindler is the correct opening and you have to go for that even though you'll collide the Swindlers and Swindle an Estate a lot of the time and have to languish for the rest of the game in a dismal vortex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 02:15:16 am »

I played this last weekend, a friend brought it back from Gencon.  It was quite the hit, all of my friends who demo'ed it at Gencon liked it enough to buy it.

It was not a hit with me, though.  The building a card mechanic is meaningful about 20% of the time, but you have to fool with sleeving cards 100% of the time.
The push your luck mechanic is pretty nasty with how it combines with the scaling effect of deckbuilders.  It's very common to get into an early game situation where it's definitely correct to push, but the upside of the bad push is exponential scaling that will cascade through the rest of the game, and the downside of the push is exponential unscaling that will cascade through the rest of the game.  It's kinda like Dominion composed of nothing but kingdoms where Swindler/Swindler is the correct opening and you have to go for that even though you'll collide the Swindlers and Swindle an Estate a lot of the time and have to languish for the rest of the game in a dismal vortex.

Good insights.  Push-your-luck can be really frustrating and isn't for everyone.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 12:45:01 am »

I played it today, and I even picked up a copy in a trade.

I think it's a neat concept. I'm not sure what the replayability is like, but we rarely replay games over and over again anyway, so this doesn't change things much for us.

The push-your-luck aspect is okay. I mean, you don't have to push your luck and just play it safe. I think you just have to be willing to accept skipping a turn or two. There are some cards that can mitigate this. I had three of the level-1 cards that let me gain a tree. You can bet I burned through all three of those so I could get as much mana as possible. And I think it may be best to not stack multiple decays on the same card. I've seen a couple people get burned by that when they have only two decays showing and then bam, one flip now reveals four. If you keep it to no more than one decay on a card, then  you can mitigate the press-your-luck aspect.

Looking forward to learning more about this game.
A man has no signature
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.