Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30  All

Author Topic: jamfamsam's art ranking by committee  (Read 155947 times)

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
Re: jamfamsam's art ranking by committee
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:48 pm »
+5

#368 - Minion

This guy has kind of a nice Steven Tyler thing going. His goatee kind of blends in with the purple shirt which make it look a little funny.

The wall to the left doesn't seem to be square and I'm not sure I'd want to stand near it. The picture on the wall is not very flattering to whoever it is, presumably the ruler.

He arm has some type of ant infestation which is really gross.

Edit: When we play, the name of this card is always imitated after the way Floop says it in the movie Spy Kids.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:06:32 pm by jamfamsam »
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

ignorentmen

• Bishop
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 01:48:54 pm »
+5

#368 - Minion

The picture on the wall is not very flattering to whoever it is, presumably the ruler.

i always thought the Minion picture guy was the Duke and as a result liked the Minion art more because of the cross over, but now that I compare them side by side I am not so sure anymore.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 06:03:48 pm »
+5

#367 - Charm

This is another card that I think shouldn't have been this low. But my daughters collectively rated it poorly.

The first thing this makes me think of is the training droid Obi-Wan-Kenobi used in Star Wars Episode 4 to train Luke Skywalker with the lightsaber. It's the only thing I see. I didn't even notice there was a candle in it until I really looked hard.

My daughters thought the candles looked gross, that the perspective is wonky and there are no shadows.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 06:09:59 pm »
+3

#366 - Militia

One guy with one glass eye and the other a black hole next to a guy with a nice mullet wasn't working for us. This is another card that when they guy with the foggy eye came up in Making Fun's crystal ball, it made me cringe.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 06:14:38 pm »

I agree with Minion, but certainly there are a lot of cards that are much worse than Salt The Earth. The girl's arms are strangely proportioned or positioned, but the rest of it is not too bad.  I think it is definitely in the lower third of the cards, but not this low.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:01 pm »
+6

#365 - Fairgrounds

Another card that I didn't think belonged this low. My daughters all agreed on one point in particular. If this was the ad for the fair you were putting on, nobody would come.

Either the melancholy, wraith-like girl in the foreground couldn't get in or her boyfriend dumped her for Judy at the fair and it's her party and she'll cry if she wants to. What's she got in the basket? Parsley? Sage? Rosemary? Thyme? The people down at the fair seem to be running for cover.

Overall we felt that this image did not remotely capture what you would expect for Fairgrounds.

This is the final card for group Z. We will get to work on the next group.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 06:19:23 pm by jamfamsam »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 06:21:38 pm »

So it is established that art must not only reflect general aesthetic art quality, but also must attain the imagery that the judges envision when they think of a word. Hmmm.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ignorentmen

• Bishop
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2016, 06:22:55 pm »
+4

#365 - Fairgrounds

Overall we felt that this image did not remotely capture what you would expect for Fairgrounds.

This is a travesty!

The card art is perfect. Because it reflects the end of a fairgrounds. All the food has been eaten. The games have been played. The rides are coming down. It is the end of autumn and all that is left is the cruel, horrible winter ahead. Sadness, despair, grief. Until next spring.

Just like when you play a game of Dominion. Fairgrounds are fun because you want to buy lots of Action cards, + cards, + buy, gainers, trashers, + $, Attacks, Interactions. But once you actually get to the point of buying Fairgrounds all that you have left is the cruel greening slowly turning into the end of the game. Sadness, despair, grief. Until the next game starts.

This card should be on the flip side. If the highest score given was 379. I would give it around a 365.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 06:28:47 pm »
+1

I didn't really give any guidelines for how they should rate the art. I agree that of all the card postings so far, this one is way off. The disadvantages of art ranking by committee, I suppose.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2016, 06:31:21 pm »
+3

So it is established that art must not only reflect general aesthetic art quality, but also must attain the imagery that the judges envision when they think of a word. Hmmm.

There is always some link. If I showed you the art for Fairgrounds and used it for a card named 'Siege', I think you would not rate it highly.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2016, 06:43:53 pm »
+2

I didn't really give any guidelines for how they should rate the art. I agree that of all the card postings so far, this one is way off. The disadvantages of art ranking by committee, I suppose.
That's why we have brackets!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2016, 06:56:34 pm »
+9

Somebody stole jamsamfam's Navigator cards and hid them somewhere. Or put them on the first place to troll us.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2016, 07:33:44 pm »
+2

Where the hell is Borrow?
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2016, 07:34:57 pm »
+1

Somebody stole jamsamfam's Navigator cards and hid them somewhere. Or put them on the first place to troll us.

Navigator and Borrow are in group Y

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 08:02:39 pm »
+2

On the Z group...
The thing that most bothers me about Harem is the composition.  Imagine trying to reenact this in a photo--you stand right up next to the camera, and I'll stand partly behind you, looking at something behind your head.

Wikipedia tells me that "salt the earth" is an expression with no basis in fact.  So it's pretty hard to say how it should have been depicted.  Casually sprinkling the earth with salt from a bowl doesn't seem right though.

The thing that bothers me most about Minion is that the artist put a bright red curtain behind him for color contrast, but somehow lost confidence in it, and felt the need to also outline his frame as if he were glowing.

I disagree with the peasant line rankings.  I'm impressed with how, throughout his life, the guy always finds the right lighting to suit his mood.  I'm feeling kind of a blue right now, but the lights here are warm yellow.  It's like going to the fairgrounds and finding that the weather is just so dusty and gloomy.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2016, 08:06:05 pm »
+1

Wikipedia tells me that "salt the earth" is an expression with no basis in fact.  So it's pretty hard to say how it should have been depicted.  Casually sprinkling the earth with salt from a bowl doesn't seem right though.

I don't think I agree that there is no basis in fact for salting the earth. (I know, I'm such an expert right?) The Romans allegedly did that to Carthage after the Third Punic War. Maybe it was just symbolic language, but the Romans really destroyed Carthage pretty badly in that third war.

edit: Quoting from a wikipedia article:

Many Carthaginians died from starvation during the later part of the siege, while many others died in the final six days of fighting. When the war ended, the remaining 50,000 Carthaginians, a small part of the original pre-war population, were, as was the normal fate in antiquity of inhabitants of sacked cities, sold into slavery by the victors.[4] Carthage was systematically burned for 17 days; the city's walls and buildings were utterly destroyed. The remaining Carthaginian territories were annexed by Rome and reconstituted to become the Roman province of Africa.

That Roman forces then sowed the city with salt to ensure that nothing would grow there again is almost certainly a 19th-century invention.

Hey, you learn something new every day.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:07:55 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2016, 08:10:08 pm »
+5

I don't think I agree that there is no basis in fact for salting the earth. (I know, I'm such an expert right?) The Romans allegedly did that to Carthage after the Third Punic War. Maybe it was just symbolic language, but the Romans really destroyed Carthage pretty badly in that third war.
More precisely, Wikipedia said it was something of a symbolic practice, but they didn't actually use so much salt as to prevent land use.  Hey, maybe the symbolic practice involved a woman casually sprinkling salt all over her toga while two soldiers stand at her side.

Willvon

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2016, 08:57:54 pm »
+1

For some reason, I really like Fairgrounds.  Perhaps it's just the power of subliminal suggestion since I really love it when this card shows up in a kingdom.  JSH had it at 209 out of 241 in his original list for the same reason as you - it doesn't capture the joy and excitement of a fair. 

Throwing that aside, the art itself is actually pretty good, and I like the way it contrasts with the green of the victory card. It would personally be in my top 150 at least.  But if connection to the card's name is critical to this voting, then I agree it would have to lose points for that.

Willvon

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2016, 09:03:14 pm »

Militia looks more like the deserters from the militia rather than the actual militia.  I am really not sure how effective the guy on the right is going to be with some weird sweater vest for protection.  And is he wearing a kilt?  At least the guy on the left has a helmet.

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2016, 10:23:31 pm »

Fairgrounds is really quite bleak looking for a card named Fairgrounds, but Jessica Cox's art is generally quite good and it's one of her better pictures, I think.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2016, 12:50:08 am »
+3

Militia looks more like the deserters from the militia rather than the actual militia.  I am really not sure how effective the guy on the right is going to be with some weird sweater vest for protection.  And is he wearing a kilt?  At least the guy on the left has a helmet.
In my mind, the Militia guys share a spiritual bond with Sgt Fred Colon and Corporal Nobby Nobbs of the Watch.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:52 am »

In my mind, the Militia guys share a spiritual bond with Sgt Fred Colon and Corporal Nobby Nobbs of the Watch.

I've mentioned this before, but the guy on the right in Militia reminds me of Riff Raff from Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2016, 01:25:48 am »
+1

#367 - Charm
This is another card that I think shouldn't have been this low. But my daughters collectively rated it poorly.

The first thing this makes me think of is the training droid Obi-Wan-Kenobi used in Star Wars Episode 4 to train Luke Skywalker with the lightsaber. It's the only thing I see. I didn't even notice there was a candle in it until I really looked hard.

My daughters thought the candles looked gross, that the perspective is wonky and there are no shadows.

I wholeheartedly agree with your daughters here.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2016, 12:06:20 pm »
+6

#364 - Borrow

Here is the start of group Y, 15 cards.

We've got Rumplestilskin loaning some of his straw-spun gold to a guy who has had at least on major brain surgery. There's something shady about this whole transaction. Perhaps it should have gone with Loan Shark. The guy on the left has really large hands.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »
+8

#363 - Navigator

jsh had this to say "Is anyone surprised by this? If you are, man, I don't know what to tell you. Look at his massive arm. I'm not sure what Bruce Banner is doing out on the open seas, but hopefully the poor guy found some peace out there."

I don't know what we could add to that other than we were glad that Jerry Seinfeld loaned him the Puffy Shirt.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30  All

Page created in 2.011 seconds with 20 queries.