Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30  All

Author Topic: jamfamsam's art ranking by committee  (Read 155892 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: jamfamsam's art ranking by committee
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2016, 09:20:57 pm »
+1

I love the video JSH made where he is cracking up at the Peasant line art.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 09:39:52 pm »
+1

I see a theme going on here.  Tiny hands don't bode well for card art rankings.  Does remind me of some other people with tiny hands.

I wonder how these would stack up against Teacher and Fugitive.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 09:41:14 pm »

Link?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 09:48:40 pm »
+2

I see a theme going on here.  Tiny hands don't bode well for card art rankings.  Does remind me of some other people with tiny hands.

[...]

http://onetinyhand.com/

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 10:07:30 pm »

Link?

Twitch didn't save it
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 11:18:28 pm »
+1

Link?

Twitch didn't save it

Why don't people just have their Twitch streams go to YouTube afterwards? This is such an annoying problem that could be prevented.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 11:23:04 pm »
+1

Link?

Twitch didn't save it

Why don't people just have their Twitch streams go to YouTube afterwards? This is such an annoying problem that could be prevented.

The annoying thing is Twitch likes to change your settings periodically, or at least it has in the past. I had set it to archive all of my streams, then that functionality went away at some point and I ended up losing a lot of stuff. My youtube account was generating almost no views at that time so I didn't think it was worth saving anything there. Now, it seems like it's doing a bit better so I've been backing up my videos again. (it also helps that Twitch now lets you export directly; in the past I had to download my videos, edit them in Camtasia Studio, wait for that to render, and upload them to Youtube)
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 11:46:25 pm »

#371 - Fugitive

Up until now, I don't think there has been anything too controversial about the art postings. I think that is about to change.

My daughters all really disliked this piece of art. His hand is too small compared to his face. He's got the lazy eye thing going or perhaps he can look two different places at once. They think it looks like he is wearing an old-lady shawl.

Dissenting opinion: I hope I'll give equal voice to my daughter's dissenting opinions as well, but I am writing the posts after all. I actually think this image works for this card. Sure, it's not the greatest art ever. However, this guy is on the run, presumably after deserting from the army, and is probably sleeping in barns and hungry and cold most of the time. I think this art captures that at some decent level. No way I put this in the bottom group on my own.

Though I agree that this picture captures the mood or theme of the card fairly well, particularly in the color scheme, those eyes definitely freak me out when I look at him. It's like he is staring at me and something to my right at the same time. Very disconcerting.  I don't know how soon he is going to appear, but I would definitely put Mandarin below this guy. Mandarin's misshapen head and unbalanced mustache are much weirder to me.

SirSlugma

• Thief
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 11:50:55 pm »
+1

Man, there's no way I'd call the Peasant art good, but there's something that I find really enjoyable about it.  Maybe it's the weird combination of a very powerful line of cards with very silly artwork?  I dunno, but it's better than any of the Kelli Stakenas pictures, or the bad Lynell Ingram art. (Or Navigator, which oddly hasn't shown up yet.)

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 12:16:14 am »
+3

My thoughts on a few of these cards:

Harem: Just plain weird, even scary

Masterpiece: Though it may be connected to Candlestick Maker, when you take it on its own, which I believe is how they are being judged, then it definitely does not fit my idea of a masterpiece. And the stained glass artist was not having his best day when he made that window.

Chancellor: He has always struck me as looking like he just put the last Oreo in his mouth and is trying to pretend there is nothing in there.

Shanty Town: The moon is pretty good, but the guy in the door way appears to be Igor escaped from Dr. Frankenstein.  His head is wide at the top and quickly tapers into the pointiest chin in history. But that eye of his is very strange. After the guy in green, it's basically the first thing I see when I look at that card.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 06:15:53 am »

I find the Peasant line's art terrible, in a cute way. Fugitive is clearly the worst there.
Where is the computer-generated art? Some of it should definitely be around here.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2016, 06:35:38 am »

I think Teacher is actually pretty good. Shanty Town, too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2016, 09:07:47 am »
+2

Honestly, I find Royal Carriage to be the worst of Kelli Stakenas' art - it looks like it was drawn in crayon. Her other stuff is fine.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2016, 10:18:11 am »
+2

Honestly, I find Royal Carriage to be the worst of Kelli Stakenas' art - it looks like it was drawn in crayon. Her other stuff is fine.

What's wrong with crayon?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2016, 10:29:28 am »
+1

What's wrong with crayon?

Everything.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2016, 11:26:44 am »

Everything.

How is Drawception related to crayon?

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2016, 11:34:12 am »

The legs on the horse in Royal Carriage always crack me up. Looks like it's rolling an ankle (hoof).

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2016, 11:36:33 am »

« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:37:54 am by Seprix »

LostPhoenix

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lost Phoenix
  • Your resident lurker
  • Respect: +325
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2016, 11:41:47 am »
+1

I never thought that the art for teacher was bad at all, but really, the longer you stare at it, the weirder it looks.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2016, 12:06:09 pm »
+3

#370 - Peasant

Here's 3 in a row for the Peasant line. Not all 5 made group Z

The background is a bit psychedelic like maybe this guy is growing something other than wheat. He's got a red birthmark there on his face that apparently faded with time.

My daughters really didn't like this line of art. They didn't even know that it was a line of art until I told them while we were debating the ranking within group Z.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 12:09:27 pm »

I actually really like peasant's art. Maybe I'm a minority here, but I actually liked it.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 12:10:00 pm »

#370 - Peasant

Here's 3 in a row for the Peasant line. Not all 5 made group Z

The background is a bit psychedelic like maybe this guy is growing something other than wheat. He's got a red birthmark there on his face that apparently faded with time.

My daughters really didn't like this line of art. They didn't even know that it was a line of art until I told them while we were debating the ranking within group Z.

I really like peasant's art as well.  I have to disagree with this art ranking.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 12:12:57 pm »
+3

#369 - Salt the Earth

Domo arigato Misters robotos.

I suppose you would need guards if you were going out to salt peoples' fields, but they are in awfully close proximity. It's nice that they got a set of twins to guard her.

What are they all staring at in the distance? If I were walking over a field, I would probably want to look down a little so I didn't fall flat on my face.

Is that a cyclone forming in the background?
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 12:14:11 pm »
+3

No, that's the smoke of her house razed to the ground because she can't pay taxes!

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 12:17:05 pm »
+2

#369 - Salt the Earth

Domo arigato Misters robotos.

I suppose you would need guards if you were going out to salt peoples' fields, but they are in awfully close proximity. It's nice that they got a set of twins to guard her.

What are they all staring at in the distance? If I were walking over a field, I would probably want to look down a little so I didn't fall flat on my face.

Is that a cyclone forming in the background?

I'm surprised by this. It's not among the best, but neither it belongs here among the worst. You must really hate cartoony art, because this is pretty much the best dominion has to offer.  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30  All

Page created in 1.939 seconds with 20 queries.