Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13  All

Author Topic: Empires Rulebook  (Read 111016 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Rulebook
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2016, 07:05:51 pm »
+1

Okay, these three Landmarks are definitely Lynell Ingram's best artwork to date, but what the hell is the lady on the left just casually pouring into the bath???

Bubbles? Some sort of scented oil? What sort of decadent aristocrats take baths in just plain water?

Also, I have to say that Baths is my new favorite thematic thing in Dominion. You neglect your royal duties to go lounge about in a spa and somehow this earns you victory points.

I would guess that it's filled with water from the bath, for pouring over oneself.

Then why is it yellow???

Lighting!

Speaking of lighting, I'm sure you could change your avatar to Charm, eHalcyon, and no one would notice the difference.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2016, 07:21:37 pm »
+1

Speaking of lighting, I'm sure you could change your avatar to Charm, eHalcyon, and no one would notice the difference.

It's been Charm since the rulebook went up...

levymealone

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2016, 08:52:00 pm »
+4

Looking at the art for Tax and Salt the Earth, I feel like there's a story there, but I cant quite place it...

I'm pretty sure its the same woman, getting taxed and then salting the earth, but then why have the soldiers swapped sides?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2016, 08:57:03 pm »

Are they forcing her to salt the earth because she didn't pay her taxes? I don't really know if that would make any sense.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2016, 09:43:49 pm »
+1

Are they forcing her to salt the earth because she didn't pay her taxes? I don't really know if that would make any sense.

When I was reviewing the cards for my first impressions, I noticed that the two events looked like they featured the same woman, perhaps in the same town/city. Indeed, the art for both these events was made by the same artist. Even the guards look the same. It stood out to me because I was reviewing the events in alphabetical order and Tax immediately followed Salt the Earth in that alphabetical sort.

On the blurry scans, I couldn't be sure that the woman was the one salting the earth. I thought maybe she was watching the earth get salted and being a bit depressed about it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:45:04 pm by markusin »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2016, 09:54:38 pm »
+7

Check out that man in the moon. It looks like a bowling ball ghost.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2016, 12:07:11 am »

When I was reviewing the cards for my first impressions, I noticed that the two events looked like they featured the same woman, perhaps in the same town/city. Indeed, the art for both these events was made by the same artist. Even the guards look the same. It stood out to me because I was reviewing the events in alphabetical order and Tax immediately followed Salt the Earth in that alphabetical sort.

On the blurry scans, I couldn't be sure that the woman was the one salting the earth. I thought maybe she was watching the earth get salted and being a bit depressed about it.

I don't think it's the same woman. She's dressed differently in each picture. So are the guards.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2016, 12:33:20 am »
+12

I don't think it's the same woman. She's dressed differently in each picture. So are the guards.

Sometimes I dress differently, and I'm still me at those times.  I think.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2016, 05:46:38 am »
+6

Looking at the art for Tax and Salt the Earth, I feel like there's a story there, but I cant quite place it...

I'm pretty sure its the same woman, getting taxed and then salting the earth, but then why have the soldiers swapped sides?

Scene 1 (Terribly Atrocious Xenophobia)

An extraterrestrial cyborg (you can clearly see aluminium lid on his head, covering gears and wires) is a friendly diplomat from outer worlds.
He is studying human language writing new words down using his hipster laptop when local rednecks, annoyed by unusual looks of a stranger, surround him.
Their leader, cocaine abuser with unknown gender identity punches him in the face.
Soon after the picture was taken the mob brutally kills the stranger and his alien nature is soon revealed.

Scene 2 (Redemption)

While the mob leader, blinded by hate and drugs, continues to humiliate the corpse, the rest of the party feel like conscience rapidly fills their insides.
They are soon aware of irreparableness of what they done and run away in horror and shame.
After reaching their shelter two men look at each other gravely and decide to take a vow:
"We never kill a stranger again
We will fight drugs till we die
We won't hide our identity anymore
Cthulhu fhtagn Cthulhu fhtagn"
With that words being said they threw away their fake right hands covering their claws and revealed who they truly are: half-men half-crab from the deep sea!
Their lady friend is shocked by the revelation at first, but she quickly comes to herself and accepts the vow after her lobster buddies.
Shortly after that they take the bowl of cocaine belonging to their ex-leader and proudly disperse it upon the earth, thus starting their new lives.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2016, 05:47:23 am »
+2

I'm a wee bit disappointed that Wild hunt doesn't have anybody topdeck cards.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 13, 2016, 07:51:18 am »
+1

I still have no idea what the connection is between a "Wild Hunt" and a spectral hunting party. What do ghosts have to do with Empires anyway (well okay, Haunted Castle is a thing, and covers the topdeck quota of the expansion).

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 13, 2016, 07:56:40 am »
+5

I still have no idea what the connection is between a "Wild Hunt" and a spectral hunting party. What do ghosts have to do with Empires anyway (well okay, Haunted Castle is a thing, and covers the topdeck quota of the expansion).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

It does not have much to do with empires.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2016, 08:51:12 am »
+3

Here's the explanation I posted on Reddit about this:

Tax appears to have some people in dispute over a tax. Later, the two main guys don't appear. They're probably both dead. But, the widow seems to have brought the opposing army under her control and is now salting the earth of her enemies as a warning to anyone else who might try to cross her.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 13, 2016, 10:28:13 am »
+1

Look again. They're not guarding, they're coercing, hands on their swords, staring her down and making sure she obeys. Can't pay your taxes? Fine. We have no use for this land, and now neither do you.

I couldn't find any historical references to salting the earth as a punishment for not paying taxes, but plenty of references to it used as a punishment for vanquished enemies. In any case, definitely a punishment and a way to render the land useless.

This could actually work pretty well. Small amounts of salt would eventually wash away with the rain and the land would be usable again (unlike the biblical implication that it destroys the land forever) so the landowners would have a chance to recover and pay up in the future. Plus it could be applied in amounts and locations proportional to the amount of tax they owed if nothing else could be seized.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 13, 2016, 11:15:18 am »

Look again. They're not guarding, they're coercing, hands on their swords, staring her down and making sure she obeys. Can't pay your taxes? Fine. We have no use for this land, and now neither do you.

I couldn't find any historical references to salting the earth as a punishment for not paying taxes, but plenty of references to it used as a punishment for vanquished enemies. In any case, definitely a punishment and a way to render the land useless.

This could actually work pretty well. Small amounts of salt would eventually wash away with the rain and the land would be usable again (unlike the biblical implication that it destroys the land forever) so the landowners would have a chance to recover and pay up in the future. Plus it could be applied in amounts and locations proportional to the amount of tax they owed if nothing else could be seized.

The only problem is that it makes no sense at all. Hey, you can't pay your taxes, so we'll destroy your only source of revenue. It seems more likely she was probably cheating on her taxes and they punished her for it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 13, 2016, 11:36:51 am »
+9

makes no sense at all.

Since when do ancient forms of punishment make sense?

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 13, 2016, 01:16:39 pm »

The only problem is that it makes no sense at all.
Nor does putting somebody in a debtors' prison until they can repay what they owe. The astute will realise this somewhat restricts their ability to earn the necessary money...

...and now I feel like that's a missed opportunity for an attack in Empires. I've no idea what it would have done, but the theme would have been awesome.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2016, 04:29:59 pm »

Nor does putting somebody in a debtors' prison until they can repay what they owe. The astute will realise this somewhat restricts their ability to earn the necessary money...

...and now I feel like that's a missed opportunity for an attack in Empires. I've no idea what it would have done, but the theme would have been awesome.

Or it could have been a debt-cost card that punishes you for not paying off the debt at the end of the next turn.

Destry

• Navigator
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2016, 04:38:23 pm »

Sounds like a job for the Really Bad Card ideas!

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2016, 04:38:56 pm »

Or it could have been a debt-cost card that punishes you for not paying off the debt at the end of the next turn.

Interest Payment: <8> Treasure. +$1 now and at the start of your next turn. When you buy this, play it immediately. When this is discarded from play, if you have any debt, gain one curse.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 13, 2016, 05:38:28 pm »

makes no sense at all.

Since when do ancient forms of punishment make sense?

Uh, since we moved on to the modern era, I guess (and them with us).  :) :P

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2016, 06:32:06 pm »
+2

Also, salting the earth with, say, potassium nitrate would be beneficial to the plants.  So make sure you're using the *right* salt.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 13, 2016, 06:41:38 pm »
+1

"I hear you didn't pay your potassium nitrate tax?"

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 13, 2016, 10:55:07 pm »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

It does not have much to do with empires.

Now I want to write a tone poem entitled "Wild Hunt".
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2016, 07:37:42 am »
+9

I still have no idea what the connection is between a "Wild Hunt" and a spectral hunting party.
Heh. Haunting party.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13  All

Page created in 0.98 seconds with 21 queries.