Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Empires Rulebook  (Read 110981 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Re: Empires Rulebook
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2016, 02:12:21 am »
+1

Sorry; I guess I'm being slow, but I can't tell for sure from your response: does that mean Ritual should be interpreted as checking the cost of the card in the past (i.e. at the time of trashing)?
Since it says "cost" instead of "costs," it goes by what the card cost then, not what it costs now. If this causes a problem I will switch it but having not given it any thought yet, that's how it works.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2016, 02:13:43 am »

I'm guessing that an earlier version of Aqueduct put tokens on every Treasure pile, like Defiled Shrine puts tokens on most Action piles.

Bingo.
Also this wording is simpler.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2016, 02:28:42 am »

For anyone who has the physical copy of the rulebook - does it have the Empires logo off-center like the PDF does?
Yes. Thanks; reported.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2016, 02:31:19 am »
+2

I'm not sure of the thematic narrative.  Buying an Encampment is like setting up an army for your legions?  But your legions will desert you if you don't show them you can pay?
Encampments move around. And yes your army seriously cares about pay.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2016, 02:41:04 am »

Oh!  Archive lets you choose the order that you draw the cards.  So you can leave the bad cards out of your deck for longer, and draw the best of three immediately.  Probably not as bad in a draw your deck engine as people are saying.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2016, 02:59:45 am »

Charm looks pretty awesome. The fact that it activates on every buy while also potentially providing Buys makes it a mini-Haggler that is weaker when greening but has the same crazy 3-pile potential, but is easier to fit into a deck.

Overall, it seems to me that Empires' mix of cards is shifting even more towards having fewer terminals and more good alt-treasure payload. What is left as terminal is mostly attacks and terminal draw.

I haven't run any maths, though. It's just a feeling.

Also, nobody has mentioned it yet, so I'll point out the obvious: Forum+cost reduction is the insta-pile card that we've all been waiting for.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2016, 03:04:04 am »
+2

Charm looks pretty awesome. The fact that it activates on every buy while also potentially providing Buys makes it a mini-Haggler that is weaker when greening but has the same crazy 3-pile potential, but is easier to fit into a deck.
It doesn't. It's "the next time you buy a card this turn..."

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2016, 03:07:54 am »
+1

Bandit Fort or how to play Dominion: highly professional tip for mediocre Dominion players in only one sentence!

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2016, 03:13:12 am »

Also, no junking Attack other than Catapult, and no trashing attack other than Enchantress.
Interesting.

I believe all other sets had a straight-up "Every other player gains a bad thing or two" and most large sets have trashing attacks too (Intrigue, Dark ages, and Adventures have two; Base, Seaside, and Hinterlands one; Prosperity none).

It doesn't. It's "the next time you buy a card this turn..."

Oh noes. You break my heart.  :'( :)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2016, 03:29:41 am »
+1

Also, no junking Attack other than Catapult, and no trashing attack other than Enchantress.
Interesting.

Indeed, no trashing attack including Enchantress.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Silver is underraided
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2016, 03:34:44 am »
+1

Interesting.

Indeed, no trashing attack including Enchantress.

Enchantress can be grossly approximated to being kind of close-ish to a sort of trashing attack.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2016, 05:50:28 am »
+1

Mountain Pass - OK, so this is the card with bidding.  I'm guessing that this encourages buying a Province early, for the advantage of being the last to bid.  8VP is significant, and Debt does make it an easier "buy".  I can't see it ever being a good idea to bid <40> on this in a real game.  The unlikely edge case I can come up with is if Salt the Earth has already drained most of the pile, so securing this Province will get you the win.  Hm, a similar alternative is if this 8VP will guarantee you at least half of the total VP available in the game, which is unlikely since there will usually be 7+ more Provinces to go (and with Empires, probably more ways to get VP tokens).  So what's an actual appropriate bid?  Province is 6VP for $8 and Colony is 10 VP for $11.  The average of those is 8VP for $9.5, but this is in debt and it's VP tokens with no dead card attached... <10> sounds like a great deal, and even up to around <14> is probably still good?  Man, I don't know.  Could also flip this around and wonder what the lowest reasonable bid is... I guess you may not want any debt at all if you have a very precise plan to empty piles for a win, but that's tough to work out from just a starting hand.

Maybe the colonies are already empty and the opponent bought province afterwards  :P

Similarly, if your opponents piles out and needs to get a province to win, this will stop him aswell.

Slightly related pro move: With tower on the board, you can pile out on a points lead and lose. (Wolf den and Wall aswell, but these are easier to see on the point counter)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

junkers

• Thief
  • Respect: +98
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2016, 05:56:00 am »
+3

I'm having a hard time taking all this in, so I think I'll treat it like the previews and just analyze a couple a day until I get my hands on a copy.

Genuinely laughed out loud when I read Salt the Earth, though. My playgroup loves dick moves more than anything, and I can see this becoming a mainstay.

Why do I have the feeling that most of this post is going to wind up in the "out of context thread"?

Bandit Fort or how to play Dominion: highly professional tip for mediocre Dominion players in only one sentence!
Between Bandit Fort and Donate, I think that's this expansion's theme: git gud.

EDIT:
Also, wero (and anyone else assisting at the time): you're a goddamn champ and made my lunch hour more than bearable.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 05:58:26 am by junkers »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2016, 05:56:40 am »

Mountain Pass - OK, so this is the card with bidding.  I'm guessing that this encourages buying a Province early, for the advantage of being the last to bid.  8VP is significant, and Debt does make it an easier "buy".  I can't see it ever being a good idea to bid <40> on this in a real game.  The unlikely edge case I can come up with is if Salt the Earth has already drained most of the pile, so securing this Province will get you the win.  Hm, a similar alternative is if this 8VP will guarantee you at least half of the total VP available in the game, which is unlikely since there will usually be 7+ more Provinces to go (and with Empires, probably more ways to get VP tokens).  So what's an actual appropriate bid?  Province is 6VP for $8 and Colony is 10 VP for $11.  The average of those is 8VP for $9.5, but this is in debt and it's VP tokens with no dead card attached... <10> sounds like a great deal, and even up to around <14> is probably still good?  Man, I don't know.  Could also flip this around and wonder what the lowest reasonable bid is... I guess you may not want any debt at all if you have a very precise plan to empty piles for a win, but that's tough to work out from just a starting hand.

I think bidding first is better if both players are perfect. The only advantage of going last is that you have to think less about what you bid. If both players know what the 8VP are "worth" in the situation, the first player to bid just bids that exact amount. the second player can't do that.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2016, 06:22:24 am »
+4

Salting a Feodum sounds awesome.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2016, 06:56:20 am »
+1

I want to play Obelisk-Rats.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

tailred

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: ceviri
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2016, 07:22:17 am »
+2

Delve - Makes Silver cheaper to buy.  Simple enough.  I don't expect this to make a difference on most boards.  It could make Silver-favouring cards (Feodum and Conquest?) more viable though, and it may give an edge to Big Money strategies where they otherwise wouldn't be competitive.  Hmm.
Don't forget the +buy - it's not just cheaper, it's more easily multi-buyable, meaning $4's a ton better if you want silvers.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2016, 07:41:25 am »

Palace and Museum need their effects switched. This is what, the second time somebody's called a card by suggesting it for the mini-set design contest?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2016, 07:42:46 am »

I want to play Obelisk-Rats.
With the perfect setup this could be a thing, training on rats and use dominate/salt the earth for VP.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2016, 07:49:10 am »

I'm guessing that an earlier version of Aqueduct put tokens on every Treasure pile, like Defiled Shrine puts tokens on most Action piles.

Bingo.
Also this wording is simpler.

eHalcyon is talking about the FAQ, not the wording on the card.

MattTV

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2016, 08:41:41 am »

One thing I'm confused about though is with capital can you pay off the debt on your clean-up phase then or do you still have to wait next turn to pay it off? I would guess that you would have to pay it off next turn, but the rules say that you have a extra chance then to pay your debt on your clean up phase if I'm reading it right, but that's when you've already discarded all your actions and treasures.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2016, 08:47:40 am »
+2

One thing I'm confused about though is with capital can you pay off the debt on your clean-up phase then or do you still have to wait next turn to pay it off? I would guess that you would have to pay it off next turn, but the rules say that you have a extra chance then to pay your debt on your clean up phase if I'm reading it right, but that's when you've already discarded all your actions and treasures.
It says you can pay it off at the end of your turn on the card.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2016, 08:47:47 am »
+1

So sexy.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

MattTV

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2016, 09:00:57 am »

It says you can pay it off at the end of your turn on the card.
The problem is you don't get the debt until you discard it from play and the only way to really discard it from play is go directly to your clean-up phase at which point your already going to be discarding all your actions and treasures that gave you the money in the first place unless somehow that money is still retained on your clean-up phase so I'm not sure.

Sidsel

• Bishop
  • Respect: +174
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2016, 09:06:16 am »

I'm not sure I get how D(et)onate works. "After your turn", that means after discarding everything from play, right? But is it before or after drawing 5 cards? And how do you "shuffle your hand into your deck", when everything is already in your hand?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.