Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Clarification on 2017/2018 pricing??  (Read 27972 times)

santamonica811

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Clarification on 2017/2018 pricing??
« on: June 03, 2016, 05:41:33 am »

(I hunted for about an hour in the various fora, but had no luck in my search.  Sorry in advance if this has been asked and answered a million times already) :-)

My current understanding:  When the switch happens, we will have the option of getting the offline version--good for as long as our computer software/OS allows us to use it.  Or, getting a free one-year subscription to the online version--after which; we'll pay a monthly fee.

Right so far??

My question:  For those of us who have purchased expansions...will these all be included in the monthly fee?  I bought the "bulk" package of adventures last year, so I assume that my monthly fee (after the first year) will include all the expansions I now own, right?  Person Number Two, for example, bought only one expansion.  So, she will be paying the exact same monthly fee that I do, but will have access to only the expansion she has paid for?  Is this correct?  (And in this second example, she would have to pay some extra amount each month for each additional expansion she wants access to.)

I am considering buying the Adventures expansion this month.  Given that there are only 6 more months left of usage via MF, I would not bother to do this, unless this new purchase carried over, and my future monthly payments (i.e., starting in 2018) covered access to all the expansions--including Adventures--that I bought as of Dec 31, 2016.

Much thanks in advance for the info.

(By the way; I vaguely recall reading somewhere here that the monthly fee will be about $2 bucks.  Was the right, or did I imagine this?)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
Re: Clarification on 2017/2018 pricing??
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:52:29 am »

Subscription is $3 a month. If you have all sets you can get those for free for a year. If you only have less expansion you will have to pay $3 minus the stuff you already own to play with all the expansions. There will be a package for $2 for half the sets, altough it is not clear yet whether you can choose those or whether there will be a package.

I'm not sure if you can just choose to continue playing with one expansion or whether you will have to upgrade. I suppose you have to upgrade though.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 05:53:54 am »

I thought nothing was set in stone yet.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 06:12:21 am »
+3

I thought nothing was set in stone yet.

Most things aren't set in stone indeed. Those $2/$3 numbers are indications, not exact things.
But there are some misunderstandings here I should be able to clear up anyway.

What you buy from the current vendors has no impact on online Dominion from 2018 on. At that point you will be able to play with all current sets for approximately $3/month, and half the sets for approximately $2/month.

2017 is the transition year, where you get all sets you have on MF for free (unless you go for the offline option).

If somewhere during 2017 you decide that the sets you're playing with isn't enough, you can upgrade to the $2 or the $3 package. For the remainder of 2017 you wouldn't pay the full $2/$3 each month, but instead some reduced price based on the number of expansions you were already getting for free.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 10:14:58 am »

Sorry if this is repetition, but just for more clarity:

Is  'all current sets' is a continually checking thing?  So, if a new expansion is added in the future, is it automatically included for those paying the ~$3/month plan?  And does a new set get enabled in the ~$2/month plan with every other new expansion added?

Also, for the ~$2/month plan, are the sets fixed or can users choose which half they want?  If users can choose, are they allowed to swap sets in and out?

-Stef-

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 11:13:07 am »
+4

Sorry if this is repetition, but just for more clarity:

Is  'all current sets' is a continually checking thing?  So, if a new expansion is added in the future, is it automatically included for those paying the ~$3/month plan?  And does a new set get enabled in the ~$2/month plan with every other new expansion added?

Also, for the ~$2/month plan, are the sets fixed or can users choose which half they want?  If users can choose, are they allowed to swap sets in and out?

The general idea is: you buy some collection of sets for some period. You get exactly what you buy. It won't change after you buy it.

We will not be trying to swindle you with already-bought-packages or in-between-currencies. If at some point you want more then what you already had bought (suppose you have everything and a new set is released), you'll just pay a little bit extra.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 03:00:56 pm »
+1

I'm still iffy on the idea of a subscription service, particularly with regards to trying to capture new/casual players, but I guess you guys are going to do what you're going to do.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 03:19:46 pm »
+4

I'm still iffy on the idea of a subscription service, particularly with regards to trying to capture new/casual players, but I guess you guys are going to do what you're going to do.

I'm pretty sure a casual player would rather pay $3 to try an online game than $100 though
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 03:22:21 pm »

Is there any idea of having one price "per month" versus a deal paying "per year" or similar?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 03:27:24 pm »
+6

Is there any idea of having one price "per month" versus a deal paying "per year" or similar?

It's actually 36k/millennium, which is a terrific deal if you take inflation into account. But those reluctant to take advantage of this great opportunity can just pay for whatever month they want to pay.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 02:18:25 pm »
+2

There should be a free trial period (2 weeks? 1 month?) to encourage new signups.

SmithySmithy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2016, 01:37:29 am »

How much is the offline version? That's the only thing that interests me.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 02:16:34 am »
+9

How much is the offline version? That's the only thing that interests me.
The friendly thing to MF would be to not talk about pricing until much closer to the release date.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 01:07:29 pm »

I'm pretty sure a casual player would rather pay $3 to try an online game than $100 though

i just talked with someone on twitter right now who hates MF's pricing since he owns the physical game.  the subscription price being floated around here is much more palatable, especially since it includes empires!

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »
+1

Hello,

Some years ago I have had a beautiful experience with the smartphone navigation system offered by the German Telecom. Their system calculated the route centrally on their servers and was sent to your smartphone. They had a price model, that I loved very much. You had the following options:

- pay per single navigation
- buy a flatrate for 30 days
- buy a flatrate of 365 days

I found that perfectly reasonable and simple, since everybody was able to select the best option for their type of usage. Think about it. A monthly subscription is kind of difficult for me to accept since I often do not play Dominion for months. Maybe other people feel the same.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 04:25:39 pm by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 05:02:48 pm »
+3

A monthly subscription is kind of difficult for me to accept since I often do not play Dominion for months.

Then why not take the subscription just for the months you do want to play?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 05:17:30 pm »
+4

A monthly subscription is kind of difficult for me to accept since I often do not play Dominion for months.

The whole idea of a subscription makes people feel like they'll have to play a lot in order to get their moneys' worth.  For casual players who might play every other month or so, that doesn't sound appealing, even if it's cheap.  They'd probably rather pay $30 for a game and never have to pay for it again, and play it whenever they want, without feeling guilty about it, then pay for some "subscription" that will make them feel pressured to play it.  This is the case even if, calculating it, the subscription would be cheaper for them anyway.  It's a mental thing.  Pay once: this is my game, I own it.  Subscribe: I'm renting this, and I feel dirty.

Maybe you could have some sort of "lifetime membership" where you pay some flat fee and never have to pay again?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 05:18:53 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

SCSN

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2016, 06:05:11 pm »
+5

Maybe you could have some sort of "lifetime membership" where you pay some flat fee and never have to pay again?

The last time someone came with similar arguments I offered him something like that. Somehow I never heard back from him. It almost seems like having to back words with banknotes makes one act far more rationally than people think!

Additionally: false promises made by our predecessors about "lifetime memberships" have created tremendous amounts of misery that we have to deal with, and we have no interest in adding any more of that on top.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2016, 11:00:00 pm »

Do you trade for movie tickets?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 07:03:48 am »

Hello,

Some years ago I have had a beautiful experience with the smartphone navigation system offered by the German Telecom. Their system calculated the route centrally on their servers and was sent to your smartphone. They had a price model, that I loved very much. You had the following options:

- pay per single navigation
- buy a flatrate for 30 days
- buy a flatrate of 365 days

I found that perfectly reasonable and simple, since everybody was able to select the best option for their type of usage. Think about it. A monthly subscription is kind of difficult for me to accept since I often do not play Dominion for months. Maybe other people feel the same.

I like an idea of several free games every month for non-subscribers (well, five maybe? idk), with maybe some small bonus if you win them all, say, one or two more free games, or a golden phallic symbol on your record or smthing like that just to make people's day better.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 02:48:10 pm »
+3

I'm having a lot of trouble seeing what's wrong with a monthly subscription.  I'm sure they will be happy to let you buy 12 of them in advance if that's what you want.  If your ego requires a discount when priced in bulk, well they can raise the price of buying 12 months all at one time, then reduce it back down to the same cost as buying the 12 months individually, just for you.

SirD

• Bishop
  • Life is supposed to be fun
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 03:13:44 pm »
+2

Well if this will be possible, it is nearly the same model which I explained. I guess many people dont enjoy the word "subscription". That's great news. Way to go, you two!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:19:20 pm by SirD »
Greetings,
SirDagen

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 05:51:56 pm »

Man. I want to purchase the entire set for Making Fun but it hardly seems worth it at this point with the change in pricing. If even contractually possible, I would love to see a drop in the rate as we get closer to next year. Hardly seems worth it to pay essentially $60 for the next 6 months ($100-$36 fee waiver next year).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2016, 06:02:26 pm »

that would be a choice for MF to make so this seems like the wrong thread? They stand to make more money by hiding the announcement that they are losing the contract in the ToS and getting people to pay top dollar thinking they'll have the cards for years, I don't expect them to switch from that strategy.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2016, 06:09:01 pm »
+3

Man. I want to purchase the entire set for Making Fun but it hardly seems worth it at this point with the change in pricing. If even contractually possible, I would love to see a drop in the rate as we get closer to next year. Hardly seems worth it to pay essentially $60 for the next 6 months ($100-$36 fee waiver next year).

Donald X has said this isn't possible because all of the contracts are already negotiated. Which makes sense: MF shouldn't be able to get paid for promising that ShuffleIT will provide a product to you in the future.

That MF can still sell the sets and ShuffleIT will honor those purchases for a year is already nicer to MF than it deserves. MF should never have been allowed to imply that people were getting "perpetual ownership of sets" when MF only had the license through the end of 2016 in the first place. I'm happy that the new Dominion Online will have a much more transparent pricing structure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.