Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tight Game I should have lost  (Read 3437 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Tight Game I should have lost
« on: May 25, 2016, 05:12:55 pm »

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160525/log.0.1464202888050.txt

Code: [Select]
Expedition, Embargo, Fool's Gold, Herbalist, Scrying Pool, Amulet, Scheme, Alchemist, Feodum, Count, Royal Carriage
When I had $2 to spend, I decided to buy Embargo instead of Herbalist, like the idiot I am. I also lost the Scrying Pool split, though I did have a guaranteed Alchemist draw and Potion every turn, so it sort of evened out. What ended up happening was that I fell behind enough to not get first dibs on the Provinces, and I had no time to catch up and get more economy. Thankfully, neither did my opponent, so the Province arms race began.

Second to last turn, I bought Scheme where I should have bought second Alchemist as well.

Finally, my opponent got Province/Duchy, and the pressure was on to get Province/Duchy/Estate to win the game. I miscounted, because I did not think I had enough money, but I had exactly $10 so that worked out for me.

I also feel like I could have played this a lot faster than I did, which is why I'm posting this here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:14:52 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Tight Game I should have lost
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 05:53:30 pm »

Never buy Alchemist over Scrying Pool.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 05:56:46 pm »

I played a game where I did just this, and I lost hard. It's not always true. It's probably true in this case though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:09:33 pm »

I played a game where I did just this, and I lost hard. It's not always true. It's probably true in this case though.

It's always true.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 06:25:47 pm »
+1

It's always true.

I cannot agree with you that it is always true. Besides, aren't you the bastion of Edgecase Castle?

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 06:47:37 pm »

i like alchemist over pool with my first potion buy because it's better early on. maybe even that's wrong tho

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 06:58:57 pm »
+1

i like alchemist over pool with my first potion buy because it's better early on. maybe even that's wrong tho

I think this is wrong. Alchemist is better than Pool at the very beginning when most of your deck is your starting cards, which makes the difference pretty small. In my experience Pool very quickly jumps ahead, and soon you regret not having another Pool instead.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 07:25:47 pm »
+6

i like hatchery first over pool
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 08:29:51 pm »

I dun get it.

I think getting any Alchemist early on was likely just wrong here anyways.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 11:32:18 pm »
+1

I dun get it.

I think getting any Alchemist early on was likely just wrong here anyways.

I'd go for 6 pool

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 09:50:36 am »
+6

I'm not so strongly against an Alchemist over a Scrying Pool here. I'm not saying it's great, but it isn't terrible either.
Indeed getting herbalist for your first $2 would have helped you a lot.

But the more important thing is this: the game ends with eight single-province turns. It shouldn't.

The value of trashing depends a lot on the possibility to quickly add payload to a trimmed deck.
If you intend to go Royal Carriage on Count, the Alchemists aren't that good indeed. But both cost $5, that's expensive. You pay $10 for $6/turn.
I like the fool's golds as payload. Don't get them early, but add a couple (3?) when you start drawing the deck. They are a bit harder to draw, but $6 for $9/turn is an excellent rate.
This fool's gold plan should push you towards getting a second Amulet.

Don't be afraid you need points as soon as your opponent buys a Province. Piles aren't running out.
Join the Dominion League!

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 10:16:13 am »

I'm not sure if it's strong enough against the Scrying Pool engine, but I'd have gone for Amulet/Feodum. But I'm a Feodum junkie so what do I know.  :P
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 10:59:49 am »

I'm not so strongly against an Alchemist over a Scrying Pool here. I'm not saying it's great, but it isn't terrible either.
Indeed getting herbalist for your first $2 would have helped you a lot.

But the more important thing is this: the game ends with eight single-province turns. It shouldn't.

The value of trashing depends a lot on the possibility to quickly add payload to a trimmed deck.
If you intend to go Royal Carriage on Count, the Alchemists aren't that good indeed. But both cost $5, that's expensive. You pay $10 for $6/turn.
I like the fool's golds as payload. Don't get them early, but add a couple (3?) when you start drawing the deck. They are a bit harder to draw, but $6 for $9/turn is an excellent rate.
This fool's gold plan should push you towards getting a second Amulet.

Don't be afraid you need points as soon as your opponent buys a Province. Piles aren't running out.

No, you're right. I could have done this, and I did get scared of points because I didn't have the ability to build up quickly. That is something I do need to work on.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 11:26:52 am »

Okay, here's another question. Would anyone buy Raid here?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 11:29:16 am »

Okay, here's another question. Would anyone buy Raid here?

I think the engine might be a bit too strong here, but if you weakened it a bit (remove the +buy might be enough), then I could see Amulet/Raid/Feodum being better than whatever else you could be doing. (Disclaimer: I have no idea what I am talking about because I haven't played very many games with Adventures.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 22 queries.