Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Depth of Silver replacement with Trader  (Read 3189 times)

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
Depth of Silver replacement with Trader
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:18:21 am »

You buy a Silver.
... You reveal a Trader to gain a Silver instead of a Silver.
... You gain a Silver.
... ... You reveal a Trader to gain a Silver instead of a Silver.
... ... You gain a Silver.
... ... ... You reveal a Trader to gain a Silver instead of a Silver.
... ... ... You gain a Silver.

You can reveal a Trader to gain a Silver instead of any arbitrary card (including an initially purchased Silver).  You can then reveal the Trader again, even if that means replacing a Silver with a Silver, and do the same thing a third time...but then you can't reveal it anymore.

I understand why you can't do this an infinite number of times (trolling), but why can you "gain a Silver instead of a Silver" even once?  And is there something special about allowing it to be revealed exactly 3 times?  I tried to think of some boundary case where this could matter, but I couldn't come up with one...anybody know why it's implemented this way?

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: Depth of Silver replacement with Trader
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:26:03 am »

I presume it's just something you're allowed to do because there was no reason to forbid it explicitely. Maybe there will be some cases in the future where this might matter ("if you've revealed a reaction card this turn you may do whatever"), but right now I can't think of one either.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:34:29 am »

I understand why you can't do this an infinite number of times (trolling), but why can you "gain a Silver instead of a Silver" even once?  And is there something special about allowing it to be revealed exactly 3 times?  I tried to think of some boundary case where this could matter, but I couldn't come up with one...anybody know why it's implemented this way?

I don't know how the reaction exactly work at the moment. But once you could reveal (say) Moat infinitely often. This was stopped at some time at a depth of (probably) 3. Probably it's just the same number for trader. There is a reason to reveal 3 reactions in a row by SC->Moat->SC, so maybe that's the number...

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 03:41:35 am »

I'd guess it's mostly because of the way the code is implemented. You want simple code that works in all cases. It might cause strange behaviour that seems silly to human minds, but better that than creating a bug or complicated code.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:43:03 am »

3 seems to be the magic number, although one could contrive complex cases where you need more.

E.g. a hand of Horse Traders, SC, Watchtower, Trader, Estate.
Opponent plays Witch.

You reveal HT and put it aside, reveal Trader to gain a Silver instead of the Curse, reveal Watchtower to put the Silver on top, reveal SC to put the Silver in hand with another card (perhaps Gold) and put back Estate + SC. At the start of your turn, you draw one of them due to HT.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:51:13 am »

You reveal HT and put it aside, reveal Trader to gain a Silver instead of the Curse, reveal Watchtower to put the Silver on top, reveal SC to put the Silver in hand with another card (perhaps Gold) and put back Estate + SC. At the start of your turn, you draw one of them due to HT.
Doesn't work. Once you've revealed Trader and/or Watchtower, you've gone past the point where you may reveal Secret Chamber.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:03:57 am »

3 seems to be the magic number, although one could contrive complex cases where you need more.

E.g. a hand of Horse Traders, SC, Watchtower, Trader, Estate.
Opponent plays Witch.

I was only guessing, I'm not even sure how the system reacts on revealing different Reactions, like in the Moat, SC case. Maybe it's just a different abritrary number. Anyway, I think HT and FG at least must have a different mechanic, because obviously you can reveal 5 (an more) HT/FG to an attack.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:17 am »

Doesn't work. Once you've revealed Trader and/or Watchtower, you've gone past the point where you may reveal Secret Chamber.
Okay, so reveal SC first.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.