Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: young witch  (Read 5555 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: young witch
« on: May 19, 2016, 09:53:12 pm »
+2

oh, to be young and a witch again!

draw 2, discard 2, sometimes do some other thing. it is on theme because there is another card and it benefits your opponent to get it for reasons other than playing it.

my favorite thing about young witch is that, because it costs $4, there are more ways to get it during a turn than the other witches, and young witch is the card that benefits the most from that: opponent decided not to topdeck scheme, which is the bane, but too bad for her because you have ironworks and a strong engine so you get two of them and give her two curses that she maybe can't trash.

-does opening yw/bane leave a bad taste in your mouth?
-is it better than sea hag? is it at least way more fun?
-when do you get more than one or two?
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Re: rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: young witch
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 11:20:17 pm »

Young Witch's strength depends so much on the Bane it's not funny. Well, sometimes it is. So talking about whether she's stronger or weaker than a given card is very hard to do in a vacuum. I'd say that, as long as the Bane is something that people might get 1 or 2 of and can't always guarantee they'll have in hand, then she's still a bit stronger than Sea Hag, especially if you can make use of the cycling. With Scheme or something else that you want en masse anyway as the Bane, Sea Hag is probably a bit stronger.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 11:34:02 pm »

With Scheme or something else that you want en masse anyway as the Bane, Sea Hag is probably a bit stronger.

Scheme is a bad example, since you can just keep on topdecking the Scheme to permanently counter Young Witch. Maybe something like Village or Warehouse is a better example.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:56:44 am »

With Scheme or something else that you want en masse anyway as the Bane, Sea Hag is probably a bit stronger.

Scheme is a bad example, since you can just keep on topdecking the Scheme to permanently counter Young Witch. Maybe something like Village or Warehouse is a better example.
That's what I mean. Scheme is the Bane that keeps on Baning, so it almost completely shuts down YW as a curser. But yes, a Village Bane really nerfs YW pretty heavily. Durations, Travellers and Reserve cards make for interesting Banes, since they are often good enough that you want to grab plenty of them, but at the same time they don't spend enough time in your deck to reliably have them in hand.

Also, Young Witch is one half of the reason why the set-up rules are non-linear. Anyone care to name the other half?

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 02:16:47 am »

That's what I mean. Scheme is the Bane that keeps on Baning, so it almost completely shuts down YW as a curser. But yes, a Village Bane really nerfs YW pretty heavily. Durations, Travellers and Reserve cards make for interesting Banes, since they are often good enough that you want to grab plenty of them, but at the same time they don't spend enough time in your deck to reliably have them in hand.

Also, Young Witch is one half of the reason why the set-up rules are non-linear. Anyone care to name the other half?

I'm not sure about what you mean, but I guess it might be trade route + Tunnel or Great Hall as Bane?

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 02:27:52 am »
+1

Black Market is the other card that creates non-linear setup. Why is the chance of a given Kingdom card being used in a given game not 10/# of Kingdom cards? Young Witch and Black Market.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 03:22:28 am »
+3

I'd leave a bad taste in her mouth if you know what I mean.

User was warned for this post.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:00:42 am by theory »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 06:00:00 am »
+6

I love it when Moat is the bane.  Always makes me smile.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 09:33:44 am »

I love it when a horrible card like Masterpiece is the bane. (:

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 06:45:55 pm »
+1

But... Why?! It can be.. love!! You warned him.. and his dreams of this lovely young witch...
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 06:48:16 pm »
+16

But... Why?! It can be.. love!! You warned him.. and his dreams of this lovely young witch...

Honestly, I'm really glad tasteless, sexist, pedophilic jokes are warnable offenses on this forum. If sexualizing minors were tolerated here I would quickly find a new place to discuss Dominion Strategy.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 12:14:55 am »
+3

Young Witch's strength depends so much on the Bane it's not funny.

If I took off her filtering, would she die?
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 07:10:31 pm »

Black Market is the other card that creates non-linear setup. Why is the chance of a given Kingdom card being used in a given game not 10/# of Kingdom cards? Young Witch and Black Market.
Black Market is correct, but I was thinking about linear in terms of process, rather than probability. Without YW/BM, you could just run down a list of cards and check if they're in the kingdom to know whether you have to do anything special - Baker, give out coin tokens, Trade Route, put tokens on piles, etc. With Young Witch or Black Market, you just check for that one first, then you run down the list making sure to check the Bane/Black Market pile for special cards as well.

But with Young Witch and Black Market, you have to loop, because having Young Witch might add Black Market to the kingdom, and having Black Market might add Young Witch to the kingdom, so you can't put the setup instructions for one above the other in the list.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 21 queries.