Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39  All

Author Topic: Semi-Interesting Dominion Moments Thread  (Read 257122 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: Semi-Interesting Dominion Moments Thread
« Reply #900 on: July 15, 2022, 10:16:42 am »
+5

Just had a game with Haggler and Guildmaster + Architects' Guild. One of the few times where you actually see one card being strictly better than the other.

...and then my opponent went for Haggler and just to make sure I would not go for the inferior version too they Taxed Haggler three times  :o
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

BBobb

• Moneylender
  • My brother says thief is amazing.
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: July 15, 2022, 10:21:26 am »
+2

Just had a game with Haggler and Guildmaster + Architects' Guild. One of the few times where you actually see one card being strictly better than the other.

...and then my opponent went for Haggler and just to make sure I would not go for the inferior version too they Taxed Haggler three times  :o
It's not strictly better because it costs 2 favors to gain a cheaper card and guildmaster only gives one favor when you buy a card.

mxdata

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1335
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 27, 2022, 02:48:07 pm »
+2

With one Province left, I started my turn with a Gold, two Coppers, and a couple of Victory cards in my hand, with 2 Coffers. Not quite enough to buy the last Province

But, then I realized, I had two Favors with Crafters' Guild as the Ally. And I'd bought the Guildhall Project. So, I used Crafters' Guild to gain a Silver, giving me an extra Coffer, and now I had $8 to buy the last Province!
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
  • DSF lowest ratio upvotes-posts 14 yrs & counting
  • Respect: +228
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: July 28, 2022, 01:12:51 pm »

This was one of the better turn 7 wins I've seen.  While he technically didn't end it on t 7.  This game was over t 7.  Early on when he gained a villa over trails n stuff I thought "why is he doing that?  That seems kinda dumb.  I was very very wrong.

Really impressive.  Props to PopperMcgee for whipping my ass.  :o

« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 01:28:34 pm by Honkeyfresh »
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 29, 2022, 12:05:43 am »
+2

Way of the Mouse with Underling - and that was the only Liaison. So, in effect, the Way caused an Ally to be in the game
They/them

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: July 29, 2022, 07:28:30 am »
+8

It's not strictly better because it costs 2 favors to gain a cheaper card and guildmaster only gives one favor when you buy a card.
This is wrong. Guildmaster gives a favor when you gain a card. So if you play Guildmaster, gain a card, and use Architects' Guild to get a cheaper card, you spent 2 Favors and gained 2 Favors. Since you start with a favor, you can already do this the very first time you play Guildmaster.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 29, 2022, 07:30:36 am »
+8

Unrelated:

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: July 29, 2022, 11:44:16 pm »
+1

Had a game with Tent + Way of the Mouse being Secret Cave. You could use Secret Cave's duration, but then also topdeck Tent, so you'd get the duration effect without the card staying in play. Fortunately it was an online game, but in an IRL game, tracking would probably be pretty tricky. This would apply to any other Duration card as Mouse, and to Merchant Camp, Walled Village, and Border Guard with Horn (the other self-topdecking cards have the self-topdecking as part of their on-play effect, which would be replaced by Mouse's effect)
They/them

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 31, 2022, 08:37:26 pm »
+2

I had a 5/2 opening in a game with Summon, Horse Trader, and Berserker. So, turn 1, bought Summon to gain Horse Trader. Turn 2, play that Horse Trader, discarding two Estates, leaving me with $5, which I used to buy a Berserker, and since I had Horse Trader in play, that meant I got to play Berserker on Turn 2. Not often you get to play Berserker in the opening!
They/them

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 03, 2022, 10:40:22 pm »
+2

I did it with Necropolis + Way of the Pig.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 04, 2022, 01:26:04 am »

I did it with Necropolis + Way of the Pig.

There are several other combinations with Necropolis that would do that trick, too. I can think of Necropolis + Ways of the Sheep, Horse, Monkey, Mule, Otter, Owl, and Seal, and sometimes Mouse, depending on which card is set aside. Also, Necropolis + Cursed Gold and Necropolis + Baker

Necropolis + Nomad Camp + Way of the Butterfly or Necropolis + Trail/Villa + Way of the Butterfly could work as well
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 05, 2022, 01:12:14 pm »

With the new Tax, Black Cat can give your opponent debt (assuming it's reacting to a Victory card they bought or otherwise gained during their Buy phase)

I'm not sure if that would ever be a particularly strong effect, but it's certainly a novel one, since up till now there's never been a way to give someone debt (the -$1 token being the closest thing)

just played a swindler tax game.  funny to tax curses and then give a debt with curse on the next turn.  JOAT was also on board.  Taxing the silver becomes a pretty strong attack, especially if you don't get a JOAT yourself.  But in that game he swindled me one b/c he was so sick of me doing it.
"Rap game Julio Franco, Chuck Norris, Texas Ranger/ Ice on my fingers look like I slap-boxed a penguin." -- Riff Raff Proverbs 4:20

"Sometimes I say some things people may think are just outlandish, but I'm going to have the last laugh." -- Riff Raff  Exodus 6:66

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 05, 2022, 01:23:28 pm »

With the new Tax, Black Cat can give your opponent debt (assuming it's reacting to a Victory card they bought or otherwise gained during their Buy phase)

I'm not sure if that would ever be a particularly strong effect, but it's certainly a novel one, since up till now there's never been a way to give someone debt (the -$1 token being the closest thing)

just played a swindler tax game.  funny to tax curses and then give a debt with curse on the next turn.  JOAT was also on board.  Taxing the silver becomes a pretty strong attack, especially if you don't get a JOAT yourself.  But in that game he swindled me one b/c he was so sick of me doing it.

With Tax you only take the debt if it’s your Buy phase. So Swindler, JoAT, and any gainers/Attacks played in the action phase won’t give debt.
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 05, 2022, 01:32:26 pm »

This is wrong. Guildmaster gives a favor when you gain a card. So if you play Guildmaster, gain a card, and use Architects' Guild to get a cheaper card, you spent 2 Favors and gained 2 Favors. Since you start with a favor, you can already do this the very first time you play Guildmaster.

Unrelated:

Now imagine you could merge these two boards and you have a Guildmaster in play with architects guild. :0

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 05, 2022, 01:35:27 pm »

Had a game with Tent + Way of the Mouse being Secret Cave. You could use Secret Cave's duration, but then also topdeck Tent, so you'd get the duration effect without the card staying in play. Fortunately it was an online game, but in an IRL game, tracking would probably be pretty tricky. This would apply to any other Duration card as Mouse, and to Merchant Camp, Walled Village, and Border Guard with Horn (the other self-topdecking cards have the self-topdecking as part of their on-play effect, which would be replaced by Mouse's effect)

weird.  seems like you shouldn't be able to top deck it with the card moved thing or something.  this is kinda huge. thanks!

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 05, 2022, 01:49:52 pm »

With Tax you only take the debt if it’s your Buy phase. So Swindler, JoAT, and any gainers/Attacks played in the action phase won’t give debt.

I am pretty sure that you gained the tax when you gained the silver, but I'm high a lot so I may be misremembering. Maybe it was something else that caused the silver gains as I definitely know the debt got assumed.

i think I may be confusing two games here.  I think they actually swindled me a swindle b/c I had loaded up on so many market squares. I still coulda swore the JOAT took the tax on the silvers, and I am almost positive that I've taken debt with gainers under the new rules. Gonna have to watch this again next time closer.

scolapasta

• Minion
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 05, 2022, 02:36:53 pm »
+3

weird.  seems like you shouldn't be able to top deck it with the card moved thing or something.  this is kinda huge. thanks!

Actually it seems like it be a bug, since if you played as Way of the Mouse, you wouldn't discard it from play that turn (if you used Secret Cave's duration benefit). From the wiki:

If the set-aside card is a Duration, then a card played this Way will stay out as long as that Duration would

And Tent's below the line:

When you discard this from play, you may put it onto your deck.   
Feel free to join us at scolapasta's cards for discussion on any of my custom cards.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 05, 2022, 11:45:51 pm »

Actually it seems like it be a bug, since if you played as Way of the Mouse, you wouldn't discard it from play that turn (if you used Secret Cave's duration benefit). From the wiki:

If the set-aside card is a Duration, then a card played this Way will stay out as long as that Duration would

And Tent's below the line:

When you discard this from play, you may put it onto your deck.   

That's a good point. That's definitely how it played online, but now that you mention it, it definitely shouldn't've worked that way
They/them

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 06, 2022, 11:44:37 pm »

I am pretty sure that you gained the tax when you gained the silver, but I'm high a lot so I may be misremembering. Maybe it was something else that caused the silver gains as I definitely know the debt got assumed.

i think I may be confusing two games here.  I think they actually swindled me a swindle b/c I had loaded up on so many market squares. I still coulda swore the JOAT took the tax on the silvers, and I am almost positive that I've taken debt with gainers under the new rules. Gonna have to watch this again next time closer.

eta I think the gains were coming from Lucky Coin which I still think of as a gainer, but it does gain from the buy phase, and I just didn't notice that all the tax gains were still coming from buys. 

« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:45:52 pm by Honkeyfresh »

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 08, 2022, 02:51:13 am »

Got a colony with 0 coins in play from 7 unique Vp cards.  Had a warlord in play and drew opulent castle , estate, duchy, province, territory, colony and haunted castle.

mxdata

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 11, 2022, 08:30:48 pm »
+3

Guard Dog as Young Witch's Bane is an odd interaction. If you use Guard Dog's reaction, then you can't use it as the Bane, since it's no longer in your hand to reveal
They/them

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 18, 2022, 11:36:58 am »
+6

Lord Rattington had a 5/2 on a chapel board. He bought chapel on the 5 instead of the 2.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 18, 2022, 01:50:45 pm »
+7

Lord Rattington had a 5/2 on a chapel board. He bought chapel on the 5 instead of the 2.

Just had a great Lord Rattington moment. Chapel/Mountebank board. He gets super lucky and opens 5/2. Turn 1, he plays his 5 Coppers and.... he buys a Chapel.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Honkeyfresh

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 18, 2022, 08:17:27 pm »

classic

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 23, 2022, 09:55:08 am »
+2

I'm one point ahead. Two piles are out and there are only 4 Pixies left. I have several Universities. My turn generates $4. Hmm. I can go on a Mission! I draw 3 Universities and a Silver. I gain 3 Pixies with the Universities. I play the Silver and try to buy the last Pixie. Shoot. Forgot about the limitation of a Mission turn. I lose.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.