Dominion > Rules Questions

Duration Attacks

(1/4) > >>

Dingan:
Apologies if these have been asked before..

In this situation:
- 2 player game
- I went first
- My opponent played a Lighthouse on turn x
- I play a duration attack, e.g. Swamp Hag, on turn x+1
does my opponent get affected by my Swamp Hag on their x+1 turn?  Cus Lighthouse specifically says "when another player plays an Attack card...", which doesn't apply on their x+1 turn -- because I played it earlier, not now.  Sure, it prevented the Swamp Hag from doing anything to them on my turn x (when I played it), but that isn't the case anymore.

The answer to this affects Secret Chamber.. If the Lighthouse blocks the Swamp Hag on my opponent's x+1, does that also mean they get to reveal their Secret Chamber a second time?  That would be odd to reveal it the second time, as it's your own turn.  It would kind of be like playing an action at the start of your turn that is neither a reserve nor does it actually cost an action.. weird.  Would it affect Conspirator?  Could you call Coin of the Realm on it?  Could you do it after resolving your Caravans, or would you have to do it first?

Same goes for Champion as with Lighthouse.

Also, say my opponent had instead revealed a Moat during my turn x.  Does that make them not affected by my Swamp Hag on their turn x+1?  Cus that is still technically the same attack as was played earlier -- that attack is still happening.  If this were the case, I guess you would have to remember whether you revealed the Moat or not (unlikely, but could be a pain IRL, especially with >2 players).

-----

Oh, and one more unrelated thing while I have ya.. Can I put tokens on empty supply piles?  So like, Pathfinding says "Move your +1 Card token to any Action Supply pile...".  But technically when there are no more cards in a pile, it's not a pile anymore -- it's just a spot on my table that used to contain a pile of cards.

wachsmuth:
Re: Supply piles.

Yes. Teacher, Pathfinding, Lost Arts, Training, Ferry, Plan can all put tokens on empty piles. The only exception is Seaway, which must gain a card from the pile you put it on.

werothegreat:
Moat and Lighthouse both say "when another player plays an Attack card".

Swamp Hag and Haunted Woods both say "until your next turn."

If you reveal a Moat you have in hand, or have a Lighthouse in play, when another player plays Swamp Hag or Haunted Woods, you are not affected by what it does.  What does it do?  Until *their* next turn, your turns are worse.  Whether you take extra turns from Outpost or Mission or Possession or whatever.

eHalcyon:
The official FAQ says this:

--- Quote --- If you want to use a Reaction card like MoatMoat.jpg against Swamp Hag, you have to use it right when Swamp Hag is played.
--- End quote ---

I play Swamp Hag, you reveal Moat, my Swamp Hag doesn't affect you on your next turn.  You don't get to reveal Moat later during your turn to stop it from affecting you.  You had to reveal it right when Swamp Hag was played.

It should work the same way for Lighthouse and Champion.  Lighthouse says:

--- Quote ---While this is in play, when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn’t affect you.
--- End quote ---

Champion says the same thing, but with "For the rest of the game" instead of "While this is in play".  Therefore, if you played Champion before I played Swamp Hag, or if you have Lighthouse in play when I play Swamp Hag, you will be unaffected by that Swamp Hag.  But neither Lighthouse nor Champion apply retroactively, since they work "when another player plays an Attack card".  If you play your Lighthouse/Champion on the turn after I played my Swamp Hag, well, that Swamp Hag was already played before and has already affected you.

You did look at that wording, but you seem to be applying it incorrectly.  The "when another player plays an Attack card" bit is like when the effect is triggered, not when the protection works.  If it was blocked (on your turn x+1 in your example), then it's blocked for good.  They are unaffected by the attack card, including the "until your next turn" bit.

Dingan:

--- Quote from: eHalcyon on May 11, 2016, 08:47:42 pm ---You did look at that wording, but you seem to be applying it incorrectly.  The "when another player plays an Attack card" bit is like when the effect is triggered, not when the protection works.  If it was blocked (on your turn x+1 in your example), then it's blocked for good.  They are unaffected by the attack card, including the "until your next turn" bit.

--- End quote ---

I'll go with this, if that's the rule.  But I still think there's definitely room for different (incorrect) interpretation.  I would think "When another player plays an Attack..." refers to the instant in time when it was played.  When I do something, then stop doing that something, I'm not still doing that something anymore.  If someone said to me, "While you're running, you must wear running shoes", that doesn't say anything about what to wear when I'm not running.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version