Dominion > Dominion Articles

Combo : Border village + City + Trash for benefit

(1/3) > >>

brokoli:
I played two games recently with Border village, city and a trash-for-benefit.
Border village is a very very good target for a trash for benefit, because when BV is in play, it's just a simple village with an expensive cost. Peddler work in the same way : in play, it's a simple market without the +buy.

City is a good addition, because often there are at least one pile emptied, and city help to draw more cards like a laboratory. But also with a double action, it's more easy to play several trash for benefit cards in a single turn.

Game 1 : Border village, City, Bishop.
It was easy to empty the festival pile, and City worked very well.

Game 2 : Border village, city, salvager
His swindler was very very bad. Check his turn 13 : I revealed a border village, and he was forced to replace it with a gold.

Asklepios:
I think that any Border Village plus any strong $5 is a good idea, but Border Village + City... hmm, not fantastic as it stands. You get a glut of actions and no card drawing or buying power.

I see what you're saying with trash for benefit mitigating the weakness of the core combo, but I still find myself a little unconvinced.

But hey, I lost that game!

I would, however, observe that the 5/2 opening stacked things in your favour somewhat. In fact, I'd attribute your victory to the strength of Haggler, not to the strength of border village. Also, I think I made a bad decision in trashing your cities to duchies that game.

brokoli:

--- Quote from: Asklepios on January 24, 2012, 04:51:09 pm ---I think that any Border Village plus any strong $5 is a good idea, but Border Village + City... hmm, not fantastic as it stands. You get a glut of actions and no card drawing or buying power.

I see what you're saying with trash for benefit mitigating the weakness of the core combo, but I still find myself a little unconvinced.

--- End quote ---

I can't see another good card instead of city. City give +action and +cards, which are necessary to trash border villages more easily. And you always get a glut of actions with cities...

--- Quote from: Asklepios on January 24, 2012, 04:51:09 pm ---But hey, I lost that game!

I would, however, observe that the 5/2 opening stacked things in your favour somewhat. In fact, I'd attribute your victory to the strength of Haggler, not to the strength of border village. Also, I think I made a bad decision in trashing your cities to duchies that game.

--- End quote ---

The second game was more difficult. Especially for my last turn !
I think Bishop is much better than salvager to trash border villages.
The 5/2 opening was clearly advantageous (on the other hand, I was second player), but like I said I think your mistake was the swindler.

WanderingWinder:

--- Quote from: brokoli on January 24, 2012, 05:15:58 pm ---
--- Quote from: Asklepios on January 24, 2012, 04:51:09 pm ---I think that any Border Village plus any strong $5 is a good idea, but Border Village + City... hmm, not fantastic as it stands. You get a glut of actions and no card drawing or buying power.

--- End quote ---

I can't see another good card instead of city. City give +action and +cards, which are necessary to trash border villages more easily. And you always get a glut of actions with cities...

--- End quote ---

Which you probably don't really need. I think the combo here is really BV+T4B. There's no way you can use all those actions... unless you have a diadem in your deck?

rrenaud:
I think the point is not that you need the actions from the BVs, but that you can quickly drain 2 piles and have mega cities.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version