Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Serious Question Regarding Rebuild  (Read 4069 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
A Serious Question Regarding Rebuild
« on: May 11, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »
+1

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160511/log.0.1462995817677.txt

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Armory, Herald, Salvager, Talisman, Artificer, Counterfeit, Market, Rebuild, Harem
This is a very strange game for sure. My opponent opened 5/2, so I knew I was going to be in some serious trouble unless I quickly got going with my strategy. Thankfully, the board was a Shelters board, so I knew I had a little time to quickly build up. I knew I wanted as many Heralds as possible, so I couldn't possibly screw up, so I got Talisman/Silver as my opening. Maybe it wasn't the best idea, but whatever, I got tons of Heralds. I still incorporated Rebuild into my long term plans, and I think that is correct. I also got Artificer to potentially discard those green cards while also getting more cards as well, though that never materialized in practice, so Market may have been a better buy. Who knows.

But anyways, my opponent decided to buy things instead of pursuing the whole Rebuild strategy. I think I would have won in the long term game here, but I wanted to get some consensus on this board, as it is immensely complex. I'm not even sure I got the optimal opening or buys. I didn't even incorporate Armory, so I'm sure that may have been a better buy than Talisman...?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 03:51:59 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: A Serious Question Regarding Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 04:27:12 pm »
+4

Rebuild isn't any stronger on 5/2 than 4/3. I personally think it is weaker on 5/2 unless there is a good 2 cost card.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 04:28:52 pm »

Rebuild isn't any stronger on 5/2 than 4/3. I personally think it is weaker on 5/2 unless there is a good 2 cost card.

Thank you for the clarification.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 04:53:43 pm »
+1

You won the game, didn't you?

Winning the game against an opponent who played poorly is not enough for me. I want to find the best way to play this Kingdom. It is sufficiently complex to warrant a discussion.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 04:59:51 pm »

Like an Estate when you have a Hovel in your hand. It's true that it's not really stronger than 4/3 though.

Anyway, the Heralds aren't really doing anything for you in this game. You shouldn't try to mix different strategies — Rebuild is a rush strategy, so don't mix it with an engine.

Also, Shelters don't make Rebuild significantly weaker.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 05:05:16 pm »

Like an Estate when you have a Hovel in your hand. It's true that it's not really stronger than 4/3 though.

Noted.

Anyway, the Heralds aren't really doing anything for you in this game. You shouldn't try to mix different strategies — Rebuild is a rush strategy, so don't mix it with an engine.

The Heralds are fine for my deck. Maybe I could have gotten all of them later on, but I was planning a longer game. However, the opponent decided to buy all of the Estates so it ended much quicker.

Getting Rebuild is something I will defend. It's a fine card to have, especially with Artificer's discard ability.

Also, Shelters don't make Rebuild significantly weaker.

No, but it takes longer to get Rebuild going.

diedre91

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Diedre
  • Respect: +69
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 05:13:26 pm »
+1

If Rebuild was not there, I believe playing BigMoney is the best you can do.
However Herald is a good way to play your rebuilds every turn.

Maybe buying more than two Rebuilds? I would prefer rebuild instead of heralds.
Your opponent had the same amount of points as you with too less heralds...

I hope my thoughts were helpful.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 05:16:32 pm »

If Rebuild was not there, I believe playing BigMoney is the best you can do.

Big Money is not even close to the best I could do if Rebuild wasn't here.

Big Money can get 4 provinces on average in about 17 turns. I ended the game with 5 Provinces (I trashed one with Salvager to quicken the game, so it's really 6) in 16.

Maybe buying more than two Rebuilds? I would prefer rebuild instead of heralds.
Your opponent had the same amount of points as you with too less heralds...

However, I can agree with this. I bought Heralds far too early, I think. There was a time and place for them, but not that early in the game. Rebuilds would have been better than Heralds there, though I think Markets would have even been better.

I think I want 2 Counterfeits before anything else $5, and I'd want to open Salvager/Silver and get Armory to gain Heralds after. That Armory will have sustained usage later as Counterfeit food by gaining Silvers.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:34:32 pm by Seprix »

diedre91

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Diedre
  • Respect: +69
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 06:10:03 pm »
+1

Big Money can get 4 provinces on average in about 17 turns. I ended the game with 5 Provinces (I trashed one with Salvager to quicken the game, so it's really 6) in 16.

I said if rebuild was not on the board...
If I am not mistaken, you had only one province at the end of the game.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 06:11:15 pm »

I said if rebuild was not on the board...
If I am not mistaken, you had only one province at the end of the game.

The game ended on a 3-pile, dude.

Also, I didn't buy Rebuild at all with my example, I forgot to say. I replaced it with Adventurer, a card so horrible you wouldn't want to even buy it. And of course, I didn't. It was a 9 card Kingdom I played with. I can show you if you want. Challenge me in Dominion. I'm online, and my username is Seprix.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 06:15:18 pm »
+2

I think I would have picked up one Artificer first, if you have time.

Artificer guarantees a top decked Rebuild at worst, and if you have both Artificer and Rebuild in hand you can gain an Estate to the top of the deck and immediately turn it into a Duchy in the early to mid game before Duchy piles out.

Otherwise this isn't that complicated - it's a rebuild rush with weak support. Herald doesn't do anything for you here other than draw if you're lucky / thin.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 09:45:54 am »
+6

It's very, very rare that you want to buy a Rebuild yourself when fighting a Rebuild-strategy with an engine.
Playing the engine on this board, I'd always take Market (or Artificer) over Rebuild.

In general, Rebuild-X is a strategy that has an (almost) constant flow of points until the game ends.
"Engine" on this board is a strategy that scores very few/no points in the first 80% of the game and then scores everything in the last couple of turns.
Making the game go longer is very good for the engine player. The Rebuild player would prefer the game ends asap.

For you this means don't destroy victory cards and build until you can buy/gain provinces (and possibly a couple of Harems).
Join the Dominion League!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 02:41:17 pm »

I'm still intrigued about this board, and this Kingdom made Kingdom of the Week on Reddit if you want to follow some discussion there about it. (I did change Beggar with Gardens to make it a little more interesting)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:43:17 pm by Seprix »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.862 seconds with 21 queries.