Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Events that change game rules for each match  (Read 5011 times)

Nflickner

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
Events that change game rules for each match
« on: March 03, 2016, 01:48:11 am »
+1

I have some ideas for events (not exactly events, because they are not bought by individual players, but change the rules for each match that they are a part of).  I have not looked through all these forums, so it is possible that they have already been proposed. 

Rule Changing events (This game)
•   This game: the game ends when the duchies and only one other supply pile are depleted (This is an additional game ending condition to those already existing). 
•   This game: all treasure cards cost one coin extra.
•   This game: (2 player preferred) there are 12 kingdoms and each kingdom has only 8 cards. 
•   This game: all estates are worth 2 victory points.
•   This game: all players start each turn with two buys.
•   This game:  the game only ends when all the estates and duchies are bought (this is the only game ending condition.) 

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Events that change game rules for each match
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 02:44:02 am »

I don't see the point of manhunt treasures cost more. Usually, you want actions anyway. So, I would make treasures cost less or supply cards cost more. With that said, I have been thing with this idea and I'm sure others have as well. I haven't posted any of my creations yet though.

transportowiec96

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 02:56:28 am »

•   This game: the game ends when the duchies and only one other supply pile are depleted (This is an additional game ending condition to those already existing). 
This looks fine, but more than 2 player games will be duchy rushes. Then, empty curses via cursing attacks or buy all estates. Just try it.
Looks interesting, lets you do nice tricks with upgrade but on boards, where BM+something is preffered, this will just stall the game longer.
•   This game: (2 player preferred) there are 12 kingdoms and each kingdom has only 8 cards.
How this would work, exactly?
a 6$ province for 2 cards more and 2 extra buys? Looks interesting however weakens duchies a lot.
This looks interesting, especially with boards without +buy, where engine can do double province/colony.
•   This game:  the game only ends when all the estates and duchies are bought (this is the only game ending condition.)
Duchy rush intensifies.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 10:44:23 am »

This looks fine, but more than 2 player games will be duchy rushes. Then, empty curses via cursing attacks or buy all estates. Just try it.
Looks interesting, lets you do nice tricks with upgrade but on boards, where BM+something is preffered, this will just stall the game longer.
How this would work, exactly?
a 6$ province for 2 cards more and 2 extra buys? Looks interesting however weakens duchies a lot.
This looks interesting, especially with boards without +buy, where engine can do double province/colony.
Duchy rush intensifies.

Yeah, I recognize that the duchy changers would often produce a duchy rush.  The whole point of these is to tweak a rule slightly to force players to look at a set of kingdoms differently and play differently.  The 12 kingdoms one is exactly how it reads--you put out two extra kingdoms and take away two cards from each kingdom before the game starts.  Also, the idea is to only use one rule change per game.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 10:48:00 am »

I don't see the point of manhunt treasures cost more. Usually, you want actions anyway. So, I would make treasures cost less or supply cards cost more. With that said, I have been thing with this idea and I'm sure others have as well. I haven't posted any of my creations yet though.

Everything you said is true.  It still forces you to think differently that round than you normally would, thus opening up different strategies potentially.  Usually action cards are bought up and treasure cards not as important--but what if there are no villages?  It forces you to be a little more creative. 

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 11:22:12 am »

Well, Dominion is designed in a way that makes it balanced with standard rules. Changing the rules randomly would inevitably lead to somecards being either crazy strong or very weak. Examples:

•   This game: the game ends when the duchies and only one other supply pile are depleted (This is an additional game ending condition to those already existing).

- as already pointed out, cursers get even stronger. Also Count and Duke become very powerful.

•   This game: all treasure cards cost one coin extra.

- makes Upgrade and Remake much more swingy: you now Upgrade Coppers into $2s, which is great if there are spammable $2s, and awful if you're forced to gain Estates. Granted, Poor House has a similar problem. It may also slow the game down a lot if you cannot open Silver/Silver.

•   This game: (2 player preferred) there are 12 kingdoms and each kingdom has only 8 cards.

- This doesn't change things up by much. Fairgrounds and Horn of Plenty obviously profit, but not more than with Black Market. I guess piledriving becomes a stronger tactic.

•   This game: all estates are worth 2 victory points.

- Inheritance gets even cwazier. Also Followers/Baron to an extent.

•   This game: all players start each turn with two buys.

- Gardens loves this.

•   This game:  the game only ends when all the estates and duchies are bought (this is the only game ending condition.)

- this one is weird. Is it intended that 3-pile endings are also eliminated? I think there are many ways for this to lead to stalemate games, where buying one more Estate/Duchy is the losing move.

So all in all, I think putting these in randomly will be bad more often than it is interesting. But I can see the value of first selecting a kingdom, and then maybe add one of those extra rules if you feel it's not exciting enough yet.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 12:01:12 pm »
+1

You might want to look at Dominion: Greed, fragasnap's fan expansion. It has a large number of Kingdom cards with "In games using this" at the bottom, like Baker but more impactful. Most of the cards have either synergy or anti-synergy with their bottom halves.

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »

You might want to look at Dominion: Greed, fragasnap's fan expansion. It has a large number of Kingdom cards with "In games using this" at the bottom, like Baker but more impactful. Most of the cards have either synergy or anti-synergy with their bottom halves.

Thanks, I just checked it out--looks very interesting.  I think I'm partially interested in eventish type cards because they only require you to print one (not 10) cards. 

spiralstaircase

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 03:06:44 pm »

I'm reminded of the ideas that were kicked around in this thread regarding event-like cards which gave new game-end conditions.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 05:16:23 pm »

This makes me want to try "This game: at the end of the game, get 1 VP for each victory card in your deck." or "This game: Estates, Duchies, Provinces and Colonies are worth 1 VP more".

Would make greening early viable more often.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 10:05:51 am »
+1

Architect
Types: Action
Cost: $2
+1 Action. Reveal your hand. The player to your left chooses one revealed card that doesn't cost $5. Trash it and gain a card costing up to $2 more than it.
In games using this, Copper costs $1 more.

Friar
Cost: $2
Trash a card from your hand. If it costs $4 or more, gain a Duchy and an Estate. Otherwise, gain 2 Estates.
In games using this, Victory cards are worth 1VP more.

Street
Cost: $3
+2 Cards. -1 Buy to a minimum of 0 Buys. Cards cost $1 less this turn, but not less than $0.
In game using this, at the start of each of your turns, +1 Buy.

The big problem with throwing out "In games using this" effects arbitrarily is that you're not guaranteed to get anything that will make the effect interesting. In some cases (like increasing the cost of all Treasures) it may make the game overall less playable. The above cards are only effective because of the "In games using this" effects that they have, which is why Greed is designed with Kingdom cards and not pseudo-events.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 05:08:21 pm »

Rule-altering cards that are placed next to the supply similar to events have been thrown around a few times before. I suggested to use such cards to Fragasnap for his Greed expansion, which relies heavily on "In games using this" effects. Later, LastFootnote gave the concept the name "Edicts" and started a thread on his own, which contains quite a few cool ideas. GendoIkari's thread about alternate win conditions lead to similar ideas. I think the concept in general is good, and it's telling that a lot of people - often independently - had the same idea.

So i say, go for this.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2016, 05:27:21 pm »

Maybe that's what land marks are?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2016, 07:00:44 pm »

GendoIkari's thread about alternate win conditions lead to similar ideas.

My thread?  Gendo may have had a similar thread around that time too though.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 11:46:11 pm »
+2

GendoIkari's thread about alternate win conditions lead to similar ideas.

My thread?  Gendo may have had a similar thread around that time too though.

He means this: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13899.0
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Nflickner

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 04:57:43 pm »

These types of ideas now have an official representation in Landmarks.  I'm still interested in designing some events/landmarks that are not just based on VP.  I'm not sure what to call them.  Perhaps "Conditions"?  "Epochs"?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 05:27:00 pm »

These types of ideas now have an official representation in Landmarks.  I'm still interested in designing some events/landmarks that are not just based on VP.  I'm not sure what to call them.  Perhaps "Conditions"?  "Epochs"?

Will have to wait until there are official rules, but right now I can't think of a good reason why you couldn't still use the Landmarks type (besides the VP theme of green + location name).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.479 seconds with 21 queries.