Dominion > Rules Questions

The One-card Shuffle

(1/18) > >>

Jeebus:

--- Quote from: florrat on May 07, 2016, 04:56:03 pm ---
* In "Abilities between turns" you mention "Between turns, the player who last had a turn is considered to be the current player, and so will resolve between-turn abilities first." It is perhaps good to mention that he also gets to choose which ability is resolved first, if there are multiple abilities which he should resolve. Also, you might want to explicitly mention that at this moment this player is not possessed (even if he was possessed during the last turn), so he makes the choice himself. (After writing this I noticed that this is explained in the Possession reference, but I still think it should be included here as well)
* About the lose track rule: you might want to mention that shuffling your deck will cause every ability to lose track of every card in your deck (even if the top card happens to be still the top card after shuffling). Now that I say this, I actually have a rule question myself: is this also true if your deck consists of only 1 card? So if I have 1 card in my deck, and I shuffle my deck, will abilities lose track of that card in your deck?
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your feedback! I'll make some of these changes for the next version.
To your rules question: I doubt Donald has ruled on that, but I would assume that one card is unshuffleable; since, you know, it really is. You can't randomize the order of one card, you need at least two.

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: Jeebus on May 08, 2016, 10:54:20 am ---To your rules question: I doubt Donald has ruled on that, but I would assume that one card is unshuffleable; since, you know, it really is. You can't randomize the order of one card, you need at least two.

--- End quote ---
I'm tentatively going the other way, but haven't done any research.

"Lose track" causes you to lose track in cases where you haven't lost track. That card goes on top of your discard pile and we all know the other card is right there under it. The point was to have the obscure rule be simple. So in this case the question is, what do ordinary people think when told to shuffle one card; do they think they shuffled or what.

pst:

--- Quote from: Donald X. on May 08, 2016, 12:13:28 pm ---
--- Quote from: Jeebus on May 08, 2016, 10:54:20 am ---To your rules question: I doubt Donald has ruled on that, but I would assume that one card is unshuffleable; since, you know, it really is. You can't randomize the order of one card, you need at least two.

--- End quote ---

"Lose track" causes you to lose track in cases where you haven't lost track. That card goes on top of your discard pile and we all know the other card is right there under it. The point was to have the obscure rule be simple. So in this case the question is, what do ordinary people think when told to shuffle one card; do they think they shuffled or what.

--- End quote ---

If one card would be seen as unshuffleable that might lead to the question of how to handle a deck with multiple Stashes and one non-Stash, where you can make sure the non-Stash is at the same place afterwards. Lost?

GendoIkari:

--- Quote from: Donald X. on May 08, 2016, 12:13:28 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Strong opinion for the "it counts as shuffled" side, on the grounds that you don't automatically count your cards while shuffling. Sure it may be trivial to know when the count is 1, but then why stop at 1? You can automatically know without counting when it's 2 also, and 3, maybe 4 and 5. Point is, if you don't count at all, you rely on intuition to know that the deck contains only 1 card when you go to shuffle it.

GendoIkari:
FWIW, MTG counts a library as having been shuffled even if it contains 0 or 1 card when you shuffle it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version