Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Shadow Hunters  (Read 1635 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Shadow Hunters
« on: May 14, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »

I just ordered Shadow Hunters online. I played it with friends years ago, and I forgot the title of the game, but after extensive searching, I finally found it! It's a really fun game to play as I remember, and I'll report back later to talk about the game and what I think about it. Anyone else ever play Shadow Hunters before?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24068/shadow-hunters
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Hunters
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 12:55:37 am »

I own it and it gets played quite a lot at my local gaming meetup. It's a nice game, easy to learn. I played the variant once where everyone gets to use a green card at the start of the game. That enabled people to start making meaningful decisions right away, so I'd recommend trying it.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:56:09 am »

I played it a ton years ago, it was one of the staples of my college gaming group. I played it again recently and it didn't hold it up as well as I remembered. I don't know, I like my social deduction games to be more simply I guess.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 08:08:15 am »

Somehow I never learned of this while it was big. I learned about it a couple of years ago from some guys who played it like mad in college (to be fair, my college games were Settlers of Catan, Lunch Money, and Mayfair's Cosmic Encounter). I enjoyed it, so I bought a copy. It's seen a few plays. That's actually not a bad thing, as I so rarely play board games nowadays (my last Dominion game was shortly after Adventures came out).

I loved the hidden team mechanic. The neutrals pose interesting wildcard ideas. The only major issue I found was that some of those cards can be hard to read. The contrast is downright terrible on some cards.

I also like the variant where everybody plays a green card. The only issue I ran into with that variant is that new players get the feeling that they get to draw a green card every round. I just need to do a better job of explaining it's a pregame freebie. When I first played it, it was without the variant, and I felt lost when rolling the dice.

I think when I play it again, I'll keep that variant, but I'll add another variant where you do not get to use the card that lets you look at another player's faction. That is too much information at the beginning, I feel. I like giving all of the players the same level of uncertainty. If someone else lucks out by rolling on green and then drawing that particular card, then that's fine.

Sadly, this game has player elimination, but usually the game doesn't last too much longer after the first elimination.
A man has no signature

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 10:04:44 am »
+1

Yes I've got a copy. I wouldn't try to fix it too much. The problem with the game is also the fun of the game : people shooting each other with spurious vendettas even if they are unwittingly killing their allies. Drink some beer and let it happen.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 10:21:52 am »

I play it very regularly with my gaming group.

It's definitely a game that gets better the more you play it with the same people.  People have very different styles.

It's a fun game (DG's right, better with an infusion of just a little alcohol), but I wouldn't want to play it more than say twice in one night.  It can be superswingy, so if you're competitive about it it gets frustrating PDQ.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:22:29 am »

Prizes for the first person to notice the unashamed penis on the box art.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.721 seconds with 21 queries.