Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: hamlet  (Read 5279 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: hamlet
« on: May 04, 2016, 12:06:29 pm »
+1

as wero pointed out, teasers et al. are gonna really take the wind out of the series's sails so i'm skipping the less interesting ones (in this case, farming village and fortune teller, sorry friends) and then doing those at the end.

so, hamlet.
every kingdom maker's favorite card: conflates actions and buys, makes them easy to obtain, makes for an odd situation with +2 cardses, busted with draw to n and menagerie and that sort of thing.

-how big of an issue is it that these empty quickly and very often split 6/4 or 7/3
-what is hamlet's favorite card? watchtower? menagerie? hunting grounds?
-other than a good trasher and attack, why would you choose squire over this? vice versa?
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: rēs cornūcōpiae consultēmus: hamlet
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:05 pm »
+2

Hamlet is a high skill card. To get the very most out of Hamlet, you have to plan your moves carefully. What card to discard? When? Do you even discard at all? So many options! It provides Buys and Actions at a very cheap price of $2, and if you are drawing your deck anyways, so what if you discard?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 01:28:50 pm »
+3

Nice macrons in the title there.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:35:40 pm »

Nice macrons in the title there.
thanks bb
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:59:06 pm »
+1

The main interaction I've noticed with Adventures is Pathfinding (or Teacher). Hamlet is simply incredible with the +Card token. I might tentatively say that it's the single best card in the game for that token.

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 10:10:17 pm »

I'm never sure how soon to get these.  I can open with it and then spend $4 on two of them without building any economy, or I can buy other cards to try to hit $5, hit $5 a few times, and then finally buy this for $6 later after my opponent has several.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:17:24 pm »

I'm never sure how soon to get these.  I can open with it and then spend $4 on two of them without building any economy, or I can buy other cards to try to hit $5, hit $5 a few times, and then finally buy this for $6 later after my opponent has several.

My rule of thumb: opening Hamlet is usually bad, but if you want lots of Hamlets, buy one over Silver on turns 3 or 4. Whether you buy Hamlet for $4 starts to depend on the kingdom.

Hamlet's interesting because it's both cheap and gives +Buy. You want exactly as many buys as you can effectively use each turn, but because Hamlet is so cheap, it pushes you to have multiple buys early.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 10:25:19 pm »
+1

Hamlet has good synergy with Poor House:
1. Gives +Buy to load up on Poor Houses
2. Gives +Action to play multiple Poor Houses per turn
3. Lets you discard Treasure
So in Kingdoms where you want Poor House, take note.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 06:37:54 am »

The main interaction I've noticed with Adventures is Pathfinding (or Teacher). Hamlet is simply incredible with the +Card token. I might tentatively say that it's the single best card in the game for that token.
Tactician has more upside, but it requires one of a few specific other cards in the kingdom to work.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 07:52:38 am »
+1

Think magpie is better for this
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 09:46:25 am »

Think magpie is better for this

Magpie is definitely better; you can gain them faster and Magpie itself helps you hit $8. I'll say Hamlet is second best though.

Hamlet is a super great card. Does exactly what you need and at a great price. No opportunity cost if you don't need it at the moment.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 09:50:52 am »
+3

The worst part about Hamlet is remembering you have to click through two discards lest you discard the action you were intending to play afterwards.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 09:56:11 am »
+1

The worst part about Hamlet is remembering you have to click through two discards lest you discard the action you were intending to play afterwards.
Are you listening, Stef and SCSN?  I'm feeling a "You are about to discard an Action card.  Was this your intention?" pop-up.  That'd be cool.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 11:17:38 am »
+2

Are you listening, Stef and SCSN?  I'm feeling a "You are about to discard an Action card.  Was this your intention?" pop-up.  That'd be cool.

That would be horrible in an engine where you actually have to discard lots of Action cards to Hamlet, which happens relatively often.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 11:19:19 am »
+3

That would be horrible in an engine where you actually have to discard lots of Action cards to Hamlet, which happens relatively often.

Hovering over a card you are about to discard should turn it red or orange or something, versus blue or green (or nothing) for a card you're about to play. There are ways to visually indicate this better than the status quo
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Triumph44

• Salvager
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 12:37:05 pm »

Tactician has more upside, but it requires one of a few specific other cards in the kingdom to work.

I may be misunderstanding, but the +Card event specifically states that you get the card before the effect of the Action takes place, so this would nombo with Tactician as you would draw a card that would immediately be discarded another with everything else in your hand.  Unless you are saying that this allows you to discard your entire hand then play Tactician - obviously edge cases can be found where that is beneficial (e.g. now Secret Chamber, without any other card support, can get you to Province in a double Tactician situation), but I hardly find that an attractive combo compared to Hamlet as a Laboratory that allows discard for +Action and +Buy.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 12:49:42 pm »
+3

I may be misunderstanding, but the +Card event specifically states that you get the card before the effect of the Action takes place, so this would nombo with Tactician as you would draw a card that would immediately be discarded another with everything else in your hand.  Unless you are saying that this allows you to discard your entire hand then play Tactician - obviously edge cases can be found where that is beneficial (e.g. now Secret Chamber, without any other card support, can get you to Province in a double Tactician situation), but I hardly find that an attractive combo compared to Hamlet as a Laboratory that allows discard for +Action and +Buy.

The idea is that Tactician now gives its next-turn bonus twice when Throned, since you have something to discard the second time.

E.Honda

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: E.Honda
  • Respect: +226
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 12:59:59 pm »

Yeah i played a game with hamlet, ambassador, teacher and pathfinding recently. I constantly junked my opponent with a Double ambassador opening and then bought hamlets while upgrading to teacher. With teacher i then Put +$1 on hamlets and bought pathfinding for +card on hamlet. Those were some powered up $2 lab-halfconspirators :D
Unfortunately i cant find the log with the log search.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 03:07:27 pm »
+1

Yeah i played a game with hamlet, ambassador, teacher and pathfinding recently. I constantly junked my opponent with a Double ambassador opening and then bought hamlets while upgrading to teacher. With teacher i then Put +$1 on hamlets and bought pathfinding for +card on hamlet. Those were some powered up $2 lab-halfconspirators :D
Unfortunately i cant find the log with the log search.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?http://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160503/log.0.1462287614688.txt

You probably tried searching for Pathfinding. If the log got parsed before the Adventures update to gokosalvager, events weren't parsed as part of the supply so you can't search for them. Also, your opponent quit, and that's excluded by the default search parameters. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.125 seconds with 20 queries.