Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Pilgrimage/Band of Misfits  (Read 3584 times)

The Do-Operator

• Scout
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
Pilgrimage/Band of Misfits
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:24:27 pm »
+4

In a recent online game, I had the following three cards in play:  Tournament, Band of Misfits (mimicing Tournament), and Gold

I then purchased Pilgrimage, which allowed me to gain a copy of Tournament, Band of Misfits and Gold.   

Did the game resolve this interaction correctly, or is Band of Misfits considered a copy of Tournament for the purposes of the text on Pilgrimage?  From the ruling on Horn of Plenty, I would guess the latter, in which case there is a bug in the online implementation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
Re: Pilgrimage/Band of Misfits
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 08:38:17 pm »

Hmm.  I am honestly curious about this.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:34:40 pm »
+3

Yeah, given that Pilgrimage uses the same wording as Horn of Plenty, it looks pretty clear that you can't gain BoM from it. The BoM *is* a Tournament until it leaves play. Estate under Inheritance would be a different matter, since it only gains the abilities of the card you Inherit, not the name.

EDIT: And on the topic of Inheritance and BoM, my reading is that you can't play BoM as an Estate, since the Estates in the supply remain as not-Action cards (which only matters in the case of (1) cost reduction or (2) there are no copies of the original card left in the supply). But I'm happy to be proven wrong.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:37:51 pm by ConMan »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:49:30 pm »
+1

EDIT: And on the topic of Inheritance and BoM, my reading is that you can't play BoM as an Estate, since the Estates in the supply remain as not-Action cards (which only matters in the case of (1) cost reduction or (2) there are no copies of the original card left in the supply). But I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Correct.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 11:26:29 am »

This should also mean that Discipling a Band of Misfits, and playing it as, say, a Gladiator, should gain you a Gladiator, not a Band of Misfits, right?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 10:23:10 pm »

This should also mean that Discipling a Band of Misfits, and playing it as, say, a Gladiator, should gain you a Gladiator, not a Band of Misfits, right?

Yes. And Disciple / Band of Misfits / one-shot gains you a Band of Misfits.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 09:26:41 pm »

Yes. And Disciple / Band of Misfits / one-shot gains you a Band of Misfits.

Also, you can choose to play BoM as another card the second time, for it not being the one-shot anymore.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 06:38:19 am »

Somewhat related rules question.
Say you manage to empty all action supply piles in one turn, then try to play a Misfits. Are you just unable to play it? That seems unusual, I can't think of another dominion card that you actually CAN'T play from your hand when you have an action left. (Sure there are cards you wouldn't want to play, but eh.) 

Or does it go into play as a BoM and do nothing?
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

dane-m

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: dane-m
  • Respect: +198
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 08:16:24 am »
+2

Say you manage to empty all action supply piles in one turn, then try to play a Misfits. Are you just unable to play it? That seems unusual, I can't think of another dominion card that you actually CAN'T play from your hand when you have an action left. (Sure there are cards you wouldn't want to play, but eh.) 

It seems to me that it would go into play as a BoM and do nothing because attempting to do as much of its instructions as possible results in doing nothing.

There is of course no need to empty all the action supply piles, merely all those that cost less than BoM.  One could in principle have a kingdom in which this situation existed from the very start of the game.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 08:45:35 am »

It seems to me that it would go into play as a BoM and do nothing because attempting to do as much of its instructions as possible results in doing nothing.

There is of course no need to empty all the action supply piles, merely all those that cost less than BoM.  One could in principle have a kingdom in which this situation existed from the very start of the game.
Edgecase: Ferry.  But yes.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:14:57 am »

With Ferry you still can have a kingdom where you don't have any BoM target from the start. Ferry would be an edge case if somebody had claimed you never had any BoM targets in a game with only cards costing $5s or more, but nobody said that. Or, logically speaking, dane-m made an "there exists an X" statement, which is unaffected by counterexamples.

Kingdoms unaffected by Ferry would be any consisting only of BoM and cards that either cost $7 or $8, have Potion costs, cost Debt, or are simply not Action cards, such as most(!) Treasure and Victory cards.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:39 am »

With Ferry you still can have a kingdom where you don't have any BoM target from the start. Ferry would be an edge case if somebody had claimed you never had any BoM targets in a game with only cards costing $5s or more, but nobody said that. Or, logically speaking, dane-m made an "there exists an X" statement, which is unaffected by counterexamples.

Kingdoms unaffected by Ferry would be any consisting only of BoM and cards that either cost $7 or $8, have Potion costs, cost Debt, or are simply not Action cards, such as most(!) Treasure and Victory cards.
Well I walked right into that one.

You could say the same about my original question, which was correct in the absence of dane-m's correction.

I really didn't intend for this to be any kind of argument.  In any case I tend to agree with dane-m that you'd probably just play it as a blank action card called Band of Misfits.
Hmm.  With something like Disciple that could actually have relevance sometimes, if gaining the BoM would empty a third pile. 

I wonder if MF implements this correctly?  I have this feeling that it would probably just crash.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:22:09 am by Haddock »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 10:49:40 am »

Well I walked right into that one.

You could say the same about my original question, which was correct in the absence of dane-m's correction.

I really didn't intend for this to be any kind of argument.  In any case I tend to agree with dane-m that you'd probably just play it as a blank action card called Band of Misfits.
Hmm.  With something like Disciple that could actually have relevance sometimes, if gaining the BoM would empty a third pile. 

I wonder if MF implements this correctly?  I have this feeling that it would probably just crash.

I didn't want to start an argument, either...
Besides, i agree that the card should simply be played and fail to do what it is supposed to do. Considering that it's not THAT hard to set up a kingdom where BoM can fail (given that you can also empty 2 of the piles normally before the game ends), i really hope Making Fun doesn't simply crash.

Otherwise we'll probably soon hear of some guy who emptied the Fortune Teller pile just to crash the game and save his ranking...

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 10:53:39 am »
+1

Yeah, Donald has stated (somewhere) that if there is no card in Supply to choose for BoM, you just play BoM and it doesn't do anything.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 10:55:39 am »

MF implements it correctly, both with duplicate and with pilgrimage.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 20 queries.