Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Prince wording  (Read 2868 times)

Dominionaer

• Golem
  • Respect: +66
    • View Profile
Prince wording
« on: April 25, 2016, 08:28:21 am »

Is there a reason for the wording on Prince :
... setting it aside again when you discard it from play. (Stop playing it if you fail to set it aside on a turn you play it.)

Playing with translation and their variatons I came to a solution, which sounds more compact:
... setting it aside again when you discard it from play the same turn.
That would not need the "Stop" clause. Or do i miss something? Some kind of unexspected or unwanted interaction?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Prince wording
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 08:44:11 am »

Just an undefined interaction, I think; you avoid any confusion by explicitly stating the conditions under which the Prince play ends.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:40:39 am »
+4

I believe you still need the stop clause. Otherwise you still play it every turn, but there's no longer any way to track that.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:14:36 pm »
+2

I believe you still need the stop clause. Otherwise you still play it every turn, but there's no longer any way to track that.
Correct.

Throne / Feast plays Feast twice even though it's been trashed the second time. "Play a card" causes you to put the card into play, but doesn't require you to succeed at putting the card into play in order to do the rest of it. So without a "stop playing" clause, Prince would play the card every turn, whether the card was still around or not.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 08:34:48 pm »

Correct.

Throne / Feast plays Feast twice even though it's been trashed the second time. "Play a card" causes you to put the card into play, but doesn't require you to succeed at putting the card into play in order to do the rest of it. So without a "stop playing" clause, Prince would play the card every turn, whether the card was still around or not.

Corollary:  Feast is a terrible card to use with Prince.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 08:35:55 pm »

Correct.

So is Abandoned Mine!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 08:57:48 pm »
+5

So is Abandoned Mine!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Abandoned Mine is a better use for Prince than Feast is.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 09:19:31 pm »

Correct.

But it didn't have the clause: Feast would be a great card with prince?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10766
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 10:46:16 pm »

Correct.

Probably not as good as even a basic cantrip. Gaining a free $5 every turn probably doesn't make as big of an impact as starting all turns with a larger hand and more actions. You don't kick off Prince very early in the game, but the time you do you'll generally be more concerned with playing your deck than building it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 11:10:58 pm »

Correct.

Probably not as good as even a basic cantrip. Gaining a free $5 every turn probably doesn't make as big of an impact as starting all turns with a larger hand and more actions. You don't kick off Prince very early in the game, but the time you do you'll generally be more concerned with playing your deck than building it.

Gaining a free $5 every turn sounds pretty sweet. Remember that $5 can be Duchy.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 11:19:24 pm »
+2

Correct.

So is Abandoned Mine!

So is Scout.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.