Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Workshop  (Read 4300 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Workshop
« on: April 19, 2016, 10:40:57 am »
+1

Idle hands are the devil's workshop. Since you're playing Dominion, you are obviously idle, so you are the devil's workshop while you play Workshop at the same time. You gain a $4 cost card, he gains your soul.

-How is Workshop worse than Ironworks?
-Is Workshop underrepresented because of Ironworks? Should it be bought more?
-Did Workshop get better or worse with Adventures?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Discuss Base Set Cards: Workshop
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:44:23 am »
+4

It's terminal.  Most of the time you're gaining actions anyway (even with rushes, at least for the first chunk of the game) so Ironworks is a nonterminal Workshop.  Which is huge.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 10:48:11 am »
+1

Obviously, Workshop shines when there are cheap engine components to be gained, such as Village and Smithy. It's a nice card in the First Game engine, although it suffers sometimes due to the high chance of terminal collision. The lesson is that Workshop is best if it doesn't compete with many other terminals for the terminal space. (As mentioned before, this is why Ironworks is so much better than Workshop, but Workshop is still pretty okay.)

The other case is the rush; Gainers are pretty much a necessity if you want to rush, and so is cheap alt-VP, which makes rushes relatively rare. But everybody knows about Workshop/Gardens and Ironworks/Gardens so I'll shut up now. :P
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

ced

• Salvager
  • Respect: +99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 10:55:04 am »

It's terminal.  Most of the time you're gaining actions anyway (even with rushes, at least for the first chunk of the game) so Ironworks is a nonterminal Workshop.  Which is huge.

This is particularly noticable in heavy trashing games, I find. Chapel/Gainer is obviously a great opener for building your engine while trashing your copper economy - but it's likely you'll collide the two in the second reshuffle (if not the first). Ironworks makes things much more consistent.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 10:30:56 pm »

people ignore this card oftentimes when it's not a Workshop Kingdom; it shares that with remodel. if it's an advisor board where you want 5 advisors, pick up a workshop. if ironworks is already on the board, i tricked you by saying already; open the works. the workses. then, if there are any other cards in the kingdom under 4 (and forget ye not that this is an advisor kingdom; pearl diver is good) then the workshop will break even. i promise.

the uh one bad thing about workshop is that it really doesn't care that it costs 3 after the opening the way village does—you won't really want to buy two of them uh ever and by the time you have enough village to get a second one oftentimes $4 isn't a prohibitive amount of money.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 10:32:31 pm »

you won't really want to buy two of them uh ever

Gardens says hello

Granted, you're usually gaining and not buying Workshops at that point
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:33:18 pm »
+1

Workshop is clearly the best card in the game. Buy a Workshop for $3, then gain a card costing $4. You're already up $1. Play it again and you're up $5. Play it again and you're up $8-$9, which is enough to buy a Province. So if you're going to buy a Worshop and play it three times, it's like buying a Province for $3!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 10:41:16 pm »
+1

people ignore this card oftentimes when it's not a Workshop Kingdom; it shares that with remodel. if it's an advisor board where you want 5 advisors, pick up a workshop. if ironworks is already on the board, i tricked you by saying already; open the works. the workses. then, if there are any other cards in the kingdom under 4 (and forget ye not that this is an advisor kingdom; pearl diver is good) then the workshop will break even. i promise.

the uh one bad thing about workshop is that it really doesn't care that it costs 3 after the opening the way village does—you won't really want to buy two of them uh ever and by the time you have enough village to get a second one oftentimes $4 isn't a prohibitive amount of money.

Well, I can't really say I'd agree with any of this, but I'm sort of confused by your example, so I can't say for certain that I don't agree.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 03:49:17 am »
+1

Workshop is clearly the best card in the game. Buy a Workshop for $3, then gain a card costing $4. You're already up $1. Play it again and you're up $5. Play it again and you're up $8-$9, which is enough to buy a Province. So if you're going to buy a Worshop and play it three times, it's like buying a Province for $3!

$3! = $6

Well, I guess it is a pretty decent deal to buy a Province for $3!.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Warwing25

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 10:55:40 am »
+2

Got bored, so I did an opening analysis comparing Workshop/Silver and Workshop/Workshop. These are the odds for turn 3 and turn 4 combined with no other interactions.
            Workshop/Silver  Workshop/Workshop                              Workshop/Silver  Workshop/Workshop                              Workshop/Silver  Workshop/Workshop
0 Gains          16.7%                        1.5%              6$                           8.8%                            0%              4$/4$                    85.4%                        73.9%
1 Gain            83.3%                      58.7%              5$                         49.5%                         5.3%         6$/4$/2$                       5.0%                            0%
2 Gains               0%                      39.8%              6$/4$                      6.3%                            0%         6$/4$/3$                       1.3%                            0%
avg. cards(3$+) 2.60                         2.73              6$/3$                      7.6%                            0%         5$/4$/2$                     36.1%                            0%
avg. cards(2$+) 2.82                         3.29              5$/4$                    39.9%                         5.0%         5$/4$/3$                      18.4%                            0%
avg. cards(0$+) 2.83                         3.38              5$/3$                    48.0%                         5.0%         5$/4$/4$                       3.3%                            0%
4$/3$/3$         61.6%                     61.9%              4$/3$                    98.5%                       99.7%         4$/4$/3$                      56.6%                       50.5%
4$/4$/4$         14.7%                     12.6%              4$/4$/3$/2$               0%                       35.4%         4$/4$/3$/3$                      0%                       12.6%
4$/4$/4$/2$         0%                     10.1%              4$/4$/4$/3$               0%                        2.5%

(The notation 4$/4$ means you can get two card costing 4 or more on turns 3 and 4 combined.)
(avg. card(3+) means average card gain assuming you only gain cards costing 3 or more, so you don't buy on 2$.)
(The calculations may be off by .1 or .2% by rounding assuming I did the calculations correctly)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:57:46 am by Warwing25 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 20 queries.