Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Combo: Merchant Guild/Goons  (Read 25535 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Combo: Merchant Guild/Goons
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:01:17 pm »

Say you have a deck of mostly Goons and Worker's Villages. Is it worth adding Merchant Guilds, so that "free" copper buys give you not only VP, but also lots of coin tokens?

I think it would be useful in a mirror game where you opponent is getting more VP from his Goons then you are. With the Merchant Guild, you can quickly amass lots of coin tokens, and spend them all in one turn, either three piling or buying out the Provinces or Colonies before your opponent can build up a huge VP token advantage.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Merchant Guild/Goons
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 02:50:10 pm »
+3

I dunno if it's a good combo or not, but in general you should NOT be getting extra Coppers from your extra Goons buys.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 02:53:35 pm »
+3

I'm pretty sure one more goons is a lot better than one merchant guild, but it might be good if you have only $5 and you are not afraid of terminal collision. I think the goons's auto-synergy is just too good.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:54:47 pm »

It's not a combo, it's engine payload, and generally it's more important to just try to get as many Goons in play as possible. It depends on the situation though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 02:55:26 pm »

The problem I see is that to get the kind of megaturn you described, you need to fire your Merchant Guilds one or more turns before, buying lots of Coppers. This makes it really hard to have the number of buys you need to end the game in a boom.
Otoh, if you think that you'll have the terminal space, I suspect one or even two of these could be a good investment for your Goons deck if you hit an earlyish 5.

Watchtower/Goons/Merchant guild and lots of villages. That one would be cool.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 02:58:07 pm »

Yeah, make sure to memorize that so you'll know it when that once-in-a-lifetime kingdom with those specific cards comes up (if it ever does).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 03:07:53 pm »
+1

Yeah, make sure to memorize that so you'll know it when that once-in-a-lifetime kingdom with those specific cards comes up (if it ever does).

I don't think anybody should memorize that, it's quite obvious and, as you said, extremely unlikely. On the other hand, I do think that many people could appreciate how cool it would be.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:10:36 pm by Accatitippi »

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 03:22:03 pm »
+2

Merchant Guild is a cool card, but it's kind of a poor man's Goons, honestly. Watchtower or no Watchtower.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 04:40:03 pm »
+2

I'm not convinced Merchant Guild/Goons can by-itself be considered a combo because...

You're usually buying Coppers with Goons only in the end-game, in which case any amassed coin tokens will usually be used to buy green, opposed to useful cards.  If that's the case, consider these 2 situations:

Case 1
2 Goons in play and 0 MGs in play -> buying 8 coppers gives 16 VP right now

Case 2
1 Goons in play and 1 MG in play -> buying 8 coppers gives 8 VP right now, and 8 coin tokens -> next turn, 8 coin tokens are used to buy a province for 6 more VP

So in Case 1, you have 16 VP right now and 8 junk cards.  Case 2 you have 14 VP after next turn and 9 junk cards.  This is obviously a over-simplified toy example, but it seems you'd just rather have more Goons in play.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 04:58:50 pm »

This is obviously a over-simplified toy example, but it seems you'd just rather have more Goons in play.

It's not a combo, it's engine payload, and generally it's more important to just try to get as many Goons in play as possible.

I agree that it's not worth passing up a Goon for Merchant Guild, but like Accatitippi said, I think it would work for an early $5, when you can't get a Goon anyway.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 05:05:52 pm »
+4

I agree that it's not worth passing up a Goon for Merchant Guild, but like Accatitippi said, I think it would work for an early $5, when you can't get a Goon anyway.

You don't want to buy payload on an early $5. You'd rather want to buy a $5 engine component, and if those aren't present, buying a cheaper engine component in the early game is still better than buying payload in the early game.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 11:17:02 pm »
+1

A much better combo would be Watchtower/Goons.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 05:16:58 am »

Which is still not a combo, but engine payload.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 06:08:28 am »
+7

I think Watchtower/Goons meets any reasonable definition of combo. But back to the original thread, in fact I think Merchant Guild is something you almost never want to add to a Goons deck; Goons needs draw and terminal-space and Merchant Guild hurts you with both.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 06:42:55 am »

I think Watchtower/Goons meets any reasonable definition of combo.

You can't just buy Watchtowers and Goons and expect to win the game somehow. You need to build an engine. At that point, you're playing an engine, not a combo.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2016, 07:23:24 am »
+2

You can't just buy Watchtowers and Goons and expect to win the game somehow. You need to build an engine. At that point, you're playing an engine, not a combo.
If a combo has to make a good deck playing just those cards, then the only combos O know are Hermit-MS, maybe NV-Bridge (though often beatable), bishop/fortress (beaten by the player who gets more stuff too, Rebuild/X sometimes, maybe a few more? Like, two-card decks are bad. Things like Scavenger/Stash, maybe Horse Traders/FG and the like are just rarely the best play by themselves. It's just not a useful definition. It would mean Watchtower has no good combos :(. Watchtower/FV or something is a bad deck by itself.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 07:39:34 am »

If a combo has to make a good deck playing just those cards, then the only combos O know are Hermit-MS, maybe NV-Bridge (though often beatable), bishop/fortress (beaten by the player who gets more stuff too, Rebuild/X sometimes, maybe a few more? Like, two-card decks are bad. Things like Scavenger/Stash, maybe Horse Traders/FG and the like are just rarely the best play by themselves. It's just not a useful definition. It would mean Watchtower has no good combos :(. Watchtower/FV or something is a bad deck by itself.

Well, that is pretty much it.

Hermit/Market Square, Apprentice/Market Square, Native Village/Bridge, Chancellor variant/Stash, and various golden decks (the traditional Bishop golden deck, Bishop/Fortress, Masquerade pin, King's Court/Scheme, King's Court/Scavenger, Inn/Graverobber/Procession/Feast etc) are more or less the only viable combo strategies.

Rebuild/X is a rush, Horse Traders/FG is big money and Watchtower/FV is an engine.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 07:45:31 am »
+6

You are once again mixing up the two definitions of the word 'combo'. Not every combo is a combo deck. Goons/Watchtower is a combo, but obviously it is not a combo deck.

King's Court/Scheme is also not a combo deck, by the way. It is a super-reliable way to kickstart an unstoppable engine. And the traditional Bishop golden deck is definitely not a combo - it contains only one kingdom card!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 07:54:17 am »
+1

You are once again mixing up the two definitions of the word 'combo'. Not every combo is a combo deck. Goons/Watchtower is a combo, but obviously it is not a combo deck.

King's Court/Scheme is also not a combo deck, by the way. It is a super-reliable way to kickstart an unstoppable engine. And the traditional Bishop golden deck is definitely not a combo - it contains only one kingdom card!

You are mixing up the definitions of the words "combo" and "synergy". Goons/Watchtower is a synergy, but obviously it is not a combo deck.

You can use King's Court and Scheme to kickstart an unstoppable engine, but you can also use it as a basis for a golden deck. Golden decks are combos. Including the traditional Bishop golden deck, which is definitely a combo.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 08:49:49 am »
+11

petition to make nothing be defined as anything
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 08:52:27 am »
+12

You are once again arguing with a pedantic prescriptivist whom is incapable of understanding the nuances of words used in ways different than he would use them, even though it is clear as day to anyone else reading the forums what one means by saying Goons / Watchtower is a "combo". After all, what else would he be able to post about, if not hair splitting definitions of words?
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 08:57:35 am »
+1

I think this goons-merchant guild situation will be rare and not a combo, as such. I could see decks being built with one goons for the attack and a number of merchant guilds, perhaps using border villages, but the problem is really the end game. A deck with multiple goons would normally look to extend the game and collect vp from buying cheap engine cards up until a 3 pile ending. A deck with multiple merchant guilds would normally collect coin tokens to buy green cards. A deck with one goons and more merchant guilds would presumably still be wanting to amass coin tokens for green cards, however a pure goons opponent would typically be able to force the 3 pile ending beforehand since both decks will be emptying similar piles.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 09:10:28 am »

You are once again arguing with a pedantic prescriptivist whom is incapable of understanding the nuances of words used in ways different than he would use them, even though it is clear as day to anyone else reading the forums what one means by saying Goons / Watchtower is a "combo". After all, what else would he be able to post about, if not hair splitting definitions of words?

It's not about being capable or incapable of understanding nuances, it's about how people use the words in the first place. There is a strategically relevant definition for the word "combo" (which does not include Goons/Watchtower), and using another definition downplays the importance of actual strategy principles that lead to people improving as Dominion players.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2016, 09:53:16 am »

It's not about being capable or incapable of understanding nuances, it's about how people use the words in the first place. There is a strategically relevant definition for the word "combo" (which does not include Goons/Watchtower), and using another definition downplays the importance of actual strategy principles that lead to people improving as Dominion players.

Alright, let's define your terms then. Answer these in terms of Dominion. What is a 'combo'? What is 'synergy'? What is a 'combo deck'? Is a 'combo deck' different than a 'combo', or are they one and the same?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2016, 10:00:58 am »

Alright, let's define your terms then. Answer these in terms of Dominion. What is a 'combo'? What is 'synergy'? What is a 'combo deck'? Is a 'combo deck' different than a 'combo', or are they one and the same?

A combo is a deck that is not big money, engine, rush or slog. Synergy is two (or more) cards having an interaction which is stronger than the sum of the individual cards. A combo and a combo deck are pretty much the same, just like "an engine" and "an engine deck".

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2016, 10:06:32 am »
+1

A combo is a deck that is not big money, engine, rush or slog.

So... What is a combo? You say it's not anything with your definition. It's not really great to define something as 'is not something'. Also, with your definition, would your starting 10 cards be a 'combo' then? It's not BM, it's not an engine, rush, or slog. If I trashed all my cards with Raze, would that be a combo then? It's a deck that's not BM, engine, rush, or slog.

Synergy is two (or more) cards having an interaction which is stronger than the sum of the individual cards.

I can agree with this.

A combo and a combo deck are pretty much the same, just like "an engine" and "an engine deck".

My favorite combo deck is the 7 copper 3 Estate one.

I don't agree with this definition either.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:08:53 am by Seprix »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2016, 10:19:57 am »

So... What is a combo? You say it's not anything with your definition. It's not really great to define something as 'is not something'. Also, with your definition, would your starting 10 cards be a 'combo' then? It's not BM, it's not an engine, rush, or slog. If I trashed all my cards with Raze, would that be a combo then? It's a deck that's not BM, engine, rush, or slog.

If, by "your starting 10 cards", you mean a strategy where you never buy anything, then yes, that's a combo. The same applies to trashing everything with Raze. Just because your strategy is trivially awful, doesn't mean it isn't a combo strategy — many big money, engine, rush and slog strategies are also awful. However, your starting cards aren't inherently a combo deck unless you do something with them that deviates from the regular strategy principles that engine, big money, rush and slog are based on.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2016, 10:21:13 am »

If, by "your starting 10 cards", you mean a strategy where you never buy anything, then yes, that's a combo.

So there is more to your definition of 'combo' then?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 10:27:01 am »

If, by "your starting 10 cards", you mean a strategy where you never buy anything, then yes, that's a combo.

So there is more to your definition of 'combo' then?

Kind of, but not really. When I was talking about decks in that post, I wasn't referring to any state that your deck might be in during a game, but your overall strategy of building the deck, because that's usually the sense in which people talk about deck types.

EDIT: It's worth noting, though, that there exists another theoretical deck type which is not engine, big money, rush, slog or combo. It doesn't have a name and nobody ever talks about it, and rightfully so, because in practice, it only ever manifests as buying a lot of Bakers and hoarding up a lot of coin tokens before starting to green, which is, well, incredibly weak. New mechanics in Empires and possibly some that haven't been thoroughly explored in Adventures might also result in the creation of new deck types that still aren't combo decks.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 10:41:14 am by Awaclus »

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 11:11:34 am »
+22

You are starting from a point so wrong that it's difficult to describe why this is wrong. But I will try anyway. In bold below I point out the distinguishing characteristics of a Combo strategy, an important thing to note about deck archetypes and how to think about them, and why it's a bad idea to use definitions that no one else agrees with.

Deck archetypes are a tool used by players to classify and understand the different types of decks we can build in Dominion. Each archetype has certain characteristics that make it unique. For example, Big Money involves buying mostly money and only a few actions. Engine involves getting a lot of actions and playing most or all of your deck every turn. Rush involves quickly getting lots of a specific card (IGG) or class of cards (like Actions for Vineyards), getting a point margin over your opponent, and quickly ending the game. Combo involves obtaining or using two or more cards or events whose synergy is both unique (or nearly so) and so strong that it enables you to establish a point margin over your opponent and win the game, either by giving huge buying/gaining power or by generating massive amounts of VP. For example, Hermit/Market Square, Counting House/Travelling Fair, Scavenger/Stash, Bishop/Fortress. An important thing about combo decks is that at least one of the cards/events cannot be switched out with any other card/event and still be effective.

So, isn't the standard Bishop Golden deck a combo? It's certainly not an Engine, since you aren't doing lots of different things on your turn. It does actually have some characteristics of Big Money (buy only one or few actions, otherwise money and VP), Rush (once you get the Golden Deck and a lead your opponent is on a timer to get the lead back), Slog (if you trash Golds instead of Provinces), and Combo (no other card can fill the Bishop slot). But deck archetypes are not rigid categories into one of which every single possible Dominion strategy fits. A strategy does not have to fit exactly one of the archetypes. It can be a mix of several, or something that comes up rarely enough that people haven't bothered to create a new archetype describing it.

Under your definition a "Good Stuff" deck would be a combo. A newbie deck full of random Action cards with no synergy would be a combo. And as you said above, you consider keeping your starting deck and not buying anything to be a combo strategy. This is completely at odds with the general English meaning of the word "combo". The main reason why it is bad to use your definition is that no one else uses it, and so by insisting on using it, without proactive explanation, you create an impediment to greater understanding.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 11:14:28 am »

You are starting from a point so wrong that it's difficult to describe why this is wrong. But I will try anyway. In bold below I point out the distinguishing characteristics of a Combo strategy, an important thing to note about deck archetypes and how to think about them, and why it's a bad idea to use definitions that no one else agrees with.

Deck archetypes are a tool used by players to classify and understand the different types of decks we can build in Dominion. Each archetype has certain characteristics that make it unique. For example, Big Money involves buying mostly money and only a few actions. Engine involves getting a lot of actions and playing most or all of your deck every turn. Rush involves quickly getting lots of a specific card (IGG) or class of cards (like Actions for Vineyards), getting a point margin over your opponent, and quickly ending the game. Combo involves obtaining or using two or more cards or events whose synergy is both unique (or nearly so) and so strong that it enables you to establish a point margin over your opponent and win the game, either by giving huge buying/gaining power or by generating massive amounts of VP. For example, Hermit/Market Square, Counting House/Travelling Fair, Scavenger/Stash, Bishop/Fortress. An important thing about combo decks is that at least one of the cards/events cannot be switched out with any other card/event and still be effective.

So, isn't the standard Bishop Golden deck a combo? It's certainly not an Engine, since you aren't doing lots of different things on your turn. It does actually have some characteristics of Big Money (buy only one or few actions, otherwise money and VP), Rush (once you get the Golden Deck and a lead your opponent is on a timer to get the lead back), Slog (if you trash Golds instead of Provinces), and Combo (no other card can fill the Bishop slot). But deck archetypes are not rigid categories into one of which every single possible Dominion strategy fits. A strategy does not have to fit exactly one of the archetypes. It can be a mix of several, or something that comes up rarely enough that people haven't bothered to create a new archetype describing it.

Under your definition a "Good Stuff" deck would be a combo. A newbie deck full of random Action cards with no synergy would be a combo. And as you said above, you consider keeping your starting deck and not buying anything to be a combo strategy. This is completely at odds with the general English meaning of the word "combo". The main reason why it is bad to use your definition is that no one else uses it, and so by insisting on using it, without proactive explanation, you create an impediment to greater understanding.
All of this.  This is exactly right.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 02:53:36 pm »
+3

Yes. Thank you so much. I was gonna type something similar, but couldn't find the necessary amount of fucks given yet. I'm very glad you managed to find them.

One thing I'd like to add: if I'm not mistaken, the distinction between the 'five main deck types' was first established back when people thought Pirate Ship was a good card. So it's probably best to take strategy insights from back then with a grain of salt.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 02:55:15 pm by Aleimon Thimble »

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 03:16:26 pm »
+2

I don't think of Dominion in terms of deck archetypes (and is archetype even a word, or a thing? like, what is that even??).  The reason being, they overlap a lot.  You can have a rush that turns into an engine.  Or a Bishop/Fortress thing that fits inside of an engine, thereby outpacing a straight Bishop/Fortress.  Or a slog that turns into a Gardens/Silk Road rush.  Or like Goons, in which case you don't want green, but then you do want green in the endgame.  Is that an archetype that changes midgame?  And like straight Rebuild or straight Cultist -- we all know well that other things can fit into your deck besides those "archetypes" to beat the mirror.

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 03:22:10 pm »

One thing I'd like to add: if I'm not mistaken, the distinction between the 'five main deck types' was first established back when people thought Pirate Ship was a good card. So it's probably best to take strategy insights from back then with a grain of salt.

Deck type articles out in 2013... Pirate Ship on 5 worst 4 costs in 2011... not so much, but point taken.

Deck type is more of a goal than a game type (hence why it is called deck type and not game type - duh) and the five fundamental ones is still quite relevant simply because putting a name on something helps a person to better understand it.
I think that there is a sixth which Awaclus sort of mentioned with mass baker and Dingan wrote a bit about as I was writing this that is what I will call the monolith, which is play a non-terminal certain action card as often as possible because there is nothing else to do, which is occasionally classified as something like a "one card engine" on the wiki, but that is not the entirety of it. People tend to hate the cards which make strong monoliths (rebuild and minion) and like the ones which make weak ones (hunting party, laboratory, baker) because they better fit into a traditional engine. Thinning helps both but is too slow when looking at the strong ones.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 03:27:38 pm »

But deck archetypes are not rigid categories into one of which every single possible Dominion strategy fits. A strategy does not have to fit exactly one of the archetypes. It can be a mix of several, or something that comes up rarely enough that people haven't bothered to create a new archetype describing it.

A strategy has to fit exactly one of those archetypes or it's going to lose against another strategy that does fit exactly one of those archetypes.

A "Good Stuff" deck is big money in the cases where it actually works. The common usage of the word "combo" in the context of strategy board games has, to my knowledge, been much closer to my definition of the word in the context of Dominion than the general English meaning of the word. For instance, in Magic, nobody would call Faerie Ninja Still a combo deck despite the fact that it relies much more heavily on specific card synergy than certain decks that are obviously combo decks, such as Belcher.

I'm not just taking said strategy insights without a grain of salt, I'm expanding upon them. It's a much better idea to listen to what I'm saying now than what Wandering Winder was saying back then (where we disagree), although his articles are definitely worth reading as well and much of it is still relevant.

I don't think of Dominion in terms of deck archetypes (and is archetype even a word, or a thing? like, what is that even??).  The reason being, they overlap a lot.  You can have a rush that turns into an engine.  Or a Bishop/Fortress thing that fits inside of an engine, thereby outpacing a straight Bishop/Fortress.  Or a slog that turns into a Gardens/Silk Road rush.  Or like Goons, in which case you don't want green, but then you do want green in the endgame.  Is that an archetype that changes midgame?  And like straight Rebuild or straight Cultist -- we all know well that other things can fit into your deck besides those "archetypes" to beat the mirror.

A Bishop/Fortress thing that fits inside of an engine is just a payload for a pure engine strategy, the only reason why Bishop/Fortress is a combo is that it's a golden deck. A strategy that turns into another strategy is not "an archetype that changes midgame", it is something called "a mistake". I don't really get how wanting green with Goons is an example of deck types overlapping. Straight Rebuild is rush and straight Cultist is big money, and it is true that you should play rush against another rush in a different way than you should play rush against an engine, but you're still playing rush.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 03:49:11 pm »

A "Good Stuff" deck is big money in the cases where it actually works. The common usage of the word "combo" in the context of strategy board games has, to my knowledge, been much closer to my definition of the word in the context of Dominion than the general English meaning of the word. For instance, in Magic, nobody would call Faerie Ninja Still a combo deck despite the fact that it relies much more heavily on specific card synergy than certain decks that are obviously combo decks, such as Belcher.

My point is that it's incredibly not-useful to define combo as "something that doesn't fit into any of these other categories". If you think there is merit to discussing such decks as a group, great, but you should use a different word rather than one that already has meaning both to people in general and specifically to players of strategic games.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2016, 03:49:37 pm »
+7

You are literally the only one who uses combo to mean what you think it should mean on this forum. Don't expect people to interpret what you say the way you want it to and certainly don't correct people using it the way everyone else does.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2016, 03:53:26 pm »

A "Good Stuff" deck is big money in the cases where it actually works. The common usage of the word "combo" in the context of strategy board games has, to my knowledge, been much closer to my definition of the word in the context of Dominion than the general English meaning of the word.
This seems to be the root of the argument.

It seems you agree that in normal English, the word combo could be used to describe a set of a few things that work really well together.

You claim that the context of strategy card game discussion means that the expected use of the term becomes something else.  That might even be true, but it doesn't matter.  Just because one meaning of the term becomes more prevalent in a certain context, doesn't mean that the usual English usage becomes wrong.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2016, 04:27:18 pm »

My point is that it's incredibly not-useful to define combo as "something that doesn't fit into any of these other categories". If you think there is merit to discussing such decks as a group, great, but you should use a different word rather than one that already has meaning both to people in general and specifically to players of strategic games.

The key is that all the other categories have something in common that combo decks do not share: they're based on strategy principles that apply universally. Combo decks, in contrast, are based on throwing all the regular strategy principles out of the window because of a very specific situation. This is the meaning of the word that I grew up with, being a Magic player. In Dominion, for any strategy based on strategy principles that apply universally, there is an existing deck type, and for any new ones that are discovered (probably through new cards being released), new deck types should be established. What this means in practice is that "strategies taking advantage of a highly specific situation" is always equivalent to "strategies that don't fit into any of these other categories".

You are literally the only one who uses combo to mean what you think it should mean on this forum. Don't expect people to interpret what you say the way you want it to and certainly don't correct people using it the way everyone else does.

Presumably you are using "literally" in the figurative sense, because there have been people agreeing with me when we have had this discussion in the past.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2016, 04:36:26 pm »
+2

Presumably you are using "literally" in the figurative sense, because there have been people agreeing with me when we have had this discussion in the past.
Quotes or it didn't happen.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2016, 04:39:40 pm »
+4

I'm pretty sure literally nobody is going to agree with your definition if it includes this:

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2016, 05:08:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure literally nobody is going to agree with your definition if it includes this:

Well, what kind of universal strategy principles that strategy is based on in your opinion? For that to be a good idea, it would require truly extraordinary circumstances.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2016, 05:11:47 pm »

Combo decks, in contrast, are based on throwing all the regular strategy principles out of the window because of a very specific situation.

This is already a better definition than "not BM, rush, engine or slog".

EDIT: I guess what I mean is that enumerating a set of things in your definition is a bad idea if that set may change.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:17:47 pm by singletee »

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2016, 05:13:08 pm »
+1

Well, what kind of universal strategy principles that strategy is based on in your opinion? For that to be a good idea, it would require truly extraordinary circumstances.

See, this is the thing. It's not based on any of those principles and it's not a combo either. It's just a really bad strategy that no one has bothered to name because it's so bad.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2016, 05:29:18 pm »

Quotes or it didn't happen.

But I really just totally agree with the OP.

See, this is the thing. It's not based on any of those principles and it's not a combo either. It's just a really bad strategy that no one has bothered to name because it's so bad.

Normally, yes, but in theory, there could be a situation in which it's actually good if some future cards get released that allow it to actually be a good strategy in that one very specific situation. Doing something which is only good in a very specific situation is a combo. That's like saying "buying a Native Village on all of your buys under $4 until the NVs run out is just a really bad strategy", but the thing is, it's actually a good strategy in the situation where you're also buying Bridges with the other buys until the Bridges run out as well.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:33:25 pm by Awaclus »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2016, 06:05:20 pm »
+1

Normally, yes, but in theory, there could be a situation in which it's actually good if some future cards get released that allow it to actually be a good strategy in that one very specific situation. Doing something which is only good in a very specific situation is a combo. That's like saying "buying a Native Village on all of your buys under $4 until the NVs run out is just a really bad strategy", but the thing is, it's actually a good strategy in the situation where you're also buying Bridges with the other buys until the Bridges run out as well.

In that case, your combo involves those future cards, not just the 10 starting cards.  Your example contradicts the premise.

As for the NV-Bridge example, "NVs only" isn't a combo, but "NV+Bridge" is.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:07:12 pm by eHalcyon »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2016, 06:08:14 pm »

In that case, your combo involves those future cards, not just the 10 starting cards.  Your example contradicts the premise.

You don't necessarily need to have those future cards in your deck. They could be in your opponent's.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2016, 06:28:54 pm »

You don't necessarily need to have those future cards in your deck. They could be in your opponent's.

Well then you may as well invent a new name for this deck archetype, because it makes no sense to call it a "combo" when it doesn't involve including some sort of card combination in your deck at all.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2016, 06:55:12 pm »

Well then you may as well invent a new name for this deck archetype, because it makes no sense to call it a "combo" when it doesn't involve including some sort of card combination in your deck at all.

But it has all the strategically relevant characteristics in common with combo decks.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2016, 07:18:06 pm »
+1

But it has all the strategically relevant characteristics in common with combo decks.

The characteristics in common aren't strategically relevant, since the characteristic is that they don't have characteristics in common with the other four archetypes.  That makes the categorization a catch-all instead of something actually useful.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2016, 07:24:58 pm »

The characteristics in common aren't strategically relevant, since the characteristic is that they don't have characteristics in common with the other four archetypes.  That makes the categorization a catch-all instead of something actually useful.

All of the archetypes have characteristics that they don't have in common with the other four archetypes. That doesn't mean that they aren't actually useful.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2016, 07:30:33 pm »

All of the archetypes have characteristics that they don't have in common with the other four archetypes. That doesn't mean that they aren't actually useful.

They also have characteristics in common with each other.  They aren't catch-all categories; you can define them on their own.  But you defined "combo deck" only by what it is not.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2016, 07:44:36 pm »
+1

Well, I was going to continue with writing some argument, but I frankly just don't have the energy.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2016, 07:48:52 pm »

He also literally didn't address the point of my post, and the thread which his quote is in features overwhelming support for the reasonable position and hardly any for his. Time for Yuma's quotes, I think.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2016, 03:45:29 am »

But you defined "combo deck" only by what it is not.

That is not true.

Combo decks, in contrast, are based on throwing all the regular strategy principles out of the window because of a very specific situation.

He also literally didn't address the point of my post, and the thread which his quote is in features overwhelming support for the reasonable position and hardly any for his. Time for Yuma's quotes, I think.

What was the point of your post? And no, the thread I quoted does not feature overwhelming support for the reasonable position, the overwhelming support is for the position that makes people worse at playing Dominion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2016, 05:10:51 pm »
+1

But you defined "combo deck" only by what it is not.

That is not true.

I was going by your initial definition, but OK, fair enough.  Even so, this (newer) definition isn't all that useful for getting better at Dominion.  The whole point of your definition is still that that they don't share characteristics in common with other strategies, including other combo decks.  And using such a broad definition for "combo" is just nonsensical when it allows you to include decks that don't use any special combination of cards at all.

And no, the thread I quoted does not feature overwhelming support for the reasonable position, the overwhelming support is for the position that makes people worse at playing Dominion.

False.  Using terminology that the majority of people disagree with is the position that makes people worse at playing Dominion.  You can still talk about the same strategy concepts using the language that everybody else is happy with.

I mean, the whole idea of the fundamental deck archetypes stems from WanderingWinder's series of articles.  So why don't we use the definition laid out there in the article about The Combo Deck, instead of your personal bastardized version?

I quote the first paragraph from that article:

A combo deck is a one that revolves entirely around a particular specific combo of 2+ different cards, generally getting 5-20 copies of the required cards in total. Once the combo is in place, if this has happened quickly enough, the deck should basically just win. This archetype does not deal with cards that work well together – i.e. it’s not just decks that have combos in them, a la Horse Traders-Duke, which is a Slog, or Warehouse-Treasure map, which works together well but isn’t an entire deck, but rather deals with combos that are self-contained, the-entire-deck-and-gameplan-is-this strategies. Typically, these combos are fairly resistant to adding other cards in with them.

A combo deck specifically focuses on a combo of different cards.  A combo is distinct from a combo deck and includes stuff like HT-Duke or Warehouse-TM.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2016, 05:35:12 pm »

I was going by your initial definition, but OK, fair enough.  Even so, this (newer) definition isn't all that useful for getting better at Dominion.  The whole point of your definition is still that that they don't share characteristics in common with other strategies, including other combo decks.  And using such a broad definition for "combo" is just nonsensical when it allows you to include decks that don't use any special combination of cards at all.

This "newer" definition is the one in the OP of that other thread from last year. Using a special combination of cards is not strategically interesting, using special circumstances is. Usually, special circumstances are a result of a special combination of cards.

False.  Using terminology that the majority of people disagree with is the position that makes people worse at playing Dominion.

Well, I suppose it does make me worse at playing Dominion than those 26 players who are higher than me on the leaderboard, you got me there.

I mean, the whole idea of the fundamental deck archetypes stems from WanderingWinder's series of articles.  So why don't we use the definition laid out there in the article about The Combo Deck, instead of your personal bastardized version?

A combo deck is a one that revolves entirely around a particular specific combo of 2+ different cards, generally getting 5-20 copies of the required cards in total. Once the combo is in place, if this has happened quickly enough, the deck should basically just win. This archetype does not deal with cards that work well together – i.e. it’s not just decks that have combos in them, a la Horse Traders-Duke, which is a Slog, or Warehouse-Treasure map, which works together well but isn’t an entire deck, but rather deals with combos that are self-contained, the-entire-deck-and-gameplan-is-this strategies. Typically, these combos are fairly resistant to adding other cards in with them.

A combo deck specifically focuses on a combo of different cards.  A combo is distinct from a combo deck and includes stuff like HT-Duke or Warehouse-TM.

Because people shouldn't really pay much attention to "cards that work well together", they should focus on "strategies that work well".

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2016, 05:53:04 pm »
+2

This "newer" definition is the one in the OP of that other thread from last year. Using a special combination of cards is not strategically interesting, using special circumstances is. Usually, special circumstances are a result of a special combination of cards.

Then you should use a new name instead of "combo" or "combo deck", which already have different definitions in common usage.

But that definition is not in the OP of the other thread.  In that thread, your OP only lists examples of combo decks without giving any sort of definition, and certainly not a definition that includes nothing but the starting 10 cards.

False.  Using terminology that the majority of people disagree with is the position that makes people worse at playing Dominion.

Well, I suppose it does make me worse at playing Dominion than those 26 players who are higher than me on the leaderboard, you got me there.

I thought you were concerned about discussing strategy with others.  Given your skill, that will be you giving strategy advice more often than you receiving it.  Using the common terminology will be helpful there, while using your own language that nobody else uses is not.  But if you're only concerned with yourself, then what does it matter what other people are saying?  Just mull over strategy on your own then.

Because people shouldn't really pay much attention to "cards that work well together", they should focus on "strategies that work well".

So you can focus on combo decks instead of combos (as they are defined in the article).  It's not a reason to screw with language as commonly understood.

But it's myopic to suggest that there's no room for consideration of combos like Watchtower-Goons or HT-Duke.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2016, 06:15:00 pm »

I thought you were concerned about discussing strategy with others.  Given your skill, that will be you giving strategy advice more often than you receiving it.  Using the common terminology will be helpful there, while using your own language that nobody else uses is not.  But if you're only concerned with yourself, then what does it matter what other people are saying?  Just mull over strategy on your own then.

It is not the terminology I'm using that makes other people better or worse at Dominion, it is the terminology that they themselves use. The strategy advice that I'm giving here is that people should stop using the kind of terminology that keeps them from being better players.

But it's myopic to suggest that there's no room for consideration of combos like Watchtower-Goons or HT-Duke.

There is no room for consideration of "combos" like Watchtower-Goons or HT-Duke. What you should be considering are an engine and a slog, respectively.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2016, 06:21:14 pm »
+6

It is not the terminology I'm using that makes other people better or worse at Dominion, it is the terminology that they themselves use. The strategy advice that I'm giving here is that people should stop using the kind of terminology that keeps them from being better players.

I know of one thing that certainly makes people worse Dominion players: arguing with Awaclus.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2016, 06:30:24 pm »
+1

I know of one thing that certainly makes people worse Dominion players: arguing with Awaclus.

True. Instead, you should agree with me.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2016, 06:38:18 pm »
+2

True. Instead, you should agree with me.

The bigger issue is the damage accrued from repeatedly bashing your head into a wall.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2016, 06:51:05 pm »

The bigger issue is the damage accrued from repeatedly bashing your head into a wall.

I'm not forcing you to repeatedly bash your head into a wall.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2016, 11:00:06 pm »
+7

Hey!  Who remembers six years ago or so, when there was no f.DS, there was just DS.com, and it was basically just theory and rrenaud and a few guest posts?  And the site header said something about "Cards, Counters, and Combos"?  Great times.  And the definition of "combo" used in the site header is basically synonymous with what Awaclus is calling "synergy."

You're trying to change six years of precedent, man, including the original usage of the site's owner and forum admin.  You're not going to win this particular fight.  To 90% or more of people on the forum, "combo" is the same as synergy, and is not the (ill-defined) thing you're talking about.

Time to make like Elsa and Let It Go.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2016, 11:17:02 pm »
+1

And this is what the wiki currently says:

A combo can refer to two things:

1) Two or more cards with a particular synergy
2) A cohesive strategy that relies only on two (sometimes three) cards

The first can act as a supplement or centerpiece to a larger strategy, and is typically the broader category. But when talking about a combo deck, it is the second that is being referred to.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2016, 03:46:48 am »

There is one thing I'm confused about: the Combo of the Day page does seem to view the Bishop golden deck as a combo deck, not unlike Awaclus. Why is that? It's not a combination of Bishop and some other kingdom card, and it's kind of a stretch to say that it's a combo with Province... getting Provinces is the entire point of the game, most of the time. I would personally view it as a hybrid of Rush and Big Money.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2016, 04:03:45 am »

There is one thing I'm confused about: the Combo of the Day page does seem to view the Bishop golden deck as a combo deck, not unlike Awaclus. Why is that? It's not a combination of Bishop and some other kingdom card, and it's kind of a stretch to say that it's a combo with Province... getting Provinces is the entire point of the game, most of the time. I would personally view it as a hybrid of Rush and Big Money.

It's clearly not rush and it's clearly not big money and hybrid strategies don't exist.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2016, 11:11:56 am »

It's clearly not rush and it's clearly not big money and hybrid strategies don't exist.

So, isn't the standard Bishop Golden deck a combo? It's certainly not an Engine, since you aren't doing lots of different things on your turn. It does actually have some characteristics of Big Money (buy only one or few actions, otherwise money and VP), Rush (once you get the Golden Deck and a lead your opponent is on a timer to get the lead back), Slog (if you trash Golds instead of Provinces), and Combo (no other card can fill the Bishop slot).

traces Around

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: tracer
  • Respect: +438
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2016, 11:21:37 am »

Golden deck is definitely a combo.

Trying to create one with bishop only will lose you the game in non-spectacular fashion. Chapel isn't the only card that can do it but the number of cards which can get you into a golden deck with any sort of speed is extremely limited. So call it a combo involving bishop and a strong and cheap trasher. The different ways to play it once you get there are more of a testament to its strength than defining characteristics.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2016, 05:39:39 pm »

Golden deck is definitely a combo.

Trying to create one with bishop only will lose you the game in non-spectacular fashion. Chapel isn't the only card that can do it but the number of cards which can get you into a golden deck with any sort of speed is extremely limited. So call it a combo involving bishop and a strong and cheap trasher. The different ways to play it once you get there are more of a testament to its strength than defining characteristics.

Hmm, so you could say it's usually a combo of Bishop and Chapel, where another card (Steward, Amulet?) might substitute for Chapel.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2016, 06:18:38 pm »
+3

I would say that the standard Bishop golden deck is the best example of a combo deck, because it's the simplest golden deck and the vast majority of combo decks are various kinds of golden decks.

After having said that, I just had a mindblowing realization — there is actually one thing that all viable combo decks known today do have in common, which is also something that they very much share with Magic combo decks and even Hearthstone combo decks (to the extent that pure combo decks can exist in Hearthstone without also having control elements). Rather than building the deck, or advancing their board position as most decks would in Magic and HS, they spend their early game setting up the combo, and once the combo is set up, the combo goes off.

Because this was actually a super simple thing to realize, I thought I'd reread WW's original article to check if it contains the same definition, but it doesn't really contain it (although it kind of hints towards it very slightly). However, Zakharov's even more original article, which I didn't even know (or remember?) existed, and which contains all sorts of questionable advice by today's standards but was most likely extremely good at the time, states more or less the exact same thing in the first sentence of the article. Yay for being over four years late to the party!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 06:21:03 pm by Awaclus »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2016, 06:44:48 pm »

I would say that the standard Bishop golden deck is the best example of a combo deck, because it's the simplest golden deck and the vast majority of combo decks are various kinds of golden decks.

After having said that, I just had a mindblowing realization — there is actually one thing that all viable combo decks known today do have in common, which is also something that they very much share with Magic combo decks and even Hearthstone combo decks (to the extent that pure combo decks can exist in Hearthstone without also having control elements). Rather than building the deck, or advancing their board position as most decks would in Magic and HS, they spend their early game setting up the combo, and once the combo is set up, the combo goes off.

Because this was actually a super simple thing to realize, I thought I'd reread WW's original article to check if it contains the same definition, but it doesn't really contain it (although it kind of hints towards it very slightly). However, Zakharov's even more original article, which I didn't even know (or remember?) existed, and which contains all sorts of questionable advice by today's standards but was most likely extremely good at the time, states more or less the exact same thing in the first sentence of the article. Yay for being over four years late to the party!

It's in the first paragraph of WW's article.

A combo deck is a one that revolves entirely around a particular specific combo of 2+ different cards, generally getting 5-20 copies of the required cards in total. Once the combo is in place, if this has happened quickly enough, the deck should basically just win.

Even with Zakharov's definition, it's still about setting up a combination of cards.  So are you recanting on your earlier definition that includes a "strategy" of nothing but the starting 10 cards?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2016, 07:10:50 pm »

A combo deck is a one that revolves entirely around a particular specific combo of 2+ different cards, generally getting 5-20 copies of the required cards in total. Once the combo is in place, if this has happened quickly enough, the deck should basically just win.
Yep, that's the part where he kind of hints towards it very slightly. It doesn't say anything about the early game consisting of setting the combo up, which is the main part, and that's also probably why he mentions Apothecary/Native Village even though that's an engine, not a combo, as it spends the early game building an engine.

Even with Zakharov's definition, it's still about setting up a combination of cards.  So are you recanting on your earlier definition that includes a "strategy" of nothing but the starting 10 cards?

It's worth noting that while both Zakharov and WW mention a combination of cards, they both also include the traditional Bishop golden deck in their list of combo decks even though that's a single-card combo.

I am recanting my earlier definition in favor of this one (and to be explicit, "this one" = "a strategy that involves spending the early game setting things up, until things are set up") because I like this one more and they are functionally equivalent for practical applications, but not the fact that a strategy that involves buying nothing is presumably a combo. I don't know why Seprix thought that it would be a good idea to go for such a strategy, but let's imagine, for the sake of argument, that it's because he knows the following event will get released in an upcoming expansion co-designed with ErrinF (which is why it's such a well-designed event and all that good stuff):

The Gunpowder Plot
$2 Event
If it's your 11th turn and you haven't bought any cards this game, +100 VP and trash the Province pile from the Supply.

Going for a strategy involving this event is very clearly a combo.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 07:15:07 pm by Awaclus »

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2016, 07:16:35 pm »
+1

Yep, that's the part where he kind of hints towards it very slightly. It doesn't say anything about the early game consisting of setting the combo up, which is the main part, and that's also probably why he mentions Apothecary/Native Village even though that's an engine, not a combo, as it spends the early game building an engine.

It's worth noting that while both Zakharov and WW mention a combination of cards, they both also include the traditional Bishop golden deck in their list of combo decks even though that's a single-card combo.

I am recanting my earlier definition in favor of this one because I like this one more and they are functionally equivalent for practical applications, but not the fact that a strategy that involves buying nothing is presumably a combo. I don't know why Seprix thought that it would be a good idea to go for such a strategy, but let's imagine, for the sake of argument, that it's because he knows the following event will get released in an upcoming expansion co-designed with ErrinF (which is why it's such a well-designed event and all that good stuff):

The Gunpowder Plot
$2 Event
If it's your 11th turn and you haven't bought any cards this game, +100 VP and trash the Province pile from the Supply.

Going for a strategy involving this event is very clearly a combo.

Of course it's a combo when that event is available. It's not a combo when the event is not available. Just like getting a bunch of Hermits isn't a combo when there's no Market Square (or Bridge, Goons, etc.) to go with it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2016, 07:24:40 pm »

Of course it's a combo when that event is available. It's not a combo when the event is not available. Just like getting a bunch of Hermits isn't a combo when there's no Market Square (or Bridge, Goons, etc.) to go with it.

Well, I would say that it's still technically a combo, since you are clearly not building your deck, but setting things up. It's just that even when you have the things set up, you won't really gain any benefit from it. Just like getting a bunch of Hermits actually even accomplishes just a tiny little bit for you even when there's nothing to go with it, it's just not enough to win the game, which is why it's a bad strategy, but that doesn't mean it's not a combo strategy.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2016, 07:56:55 pm »

Well, I would say that it's still technically a combo

What about a wombo? Is that a combo?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2016, 08:03:24 pm »

As has been discussed in this thread, it's a combo between Bishop and a strong trasher.

As for the Gunpowder Plot, I wouldn't consider it "setting up" if you're sitting around doing nothing, and I wouldn't call it a combo even with that event.  As I said before, that kind of thing should really get its own name.  The word "combo" explicitly refers to a combination of cards.  A single thing isn't a combo.

Otherwise, yeah, I agree that "set it up and knock it down" is a good way to think of combo decks.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2016, 08:58:31 pm »
+1

Hold on, hold on...did Awaclus just change his mind on something? In a way that actually gets his position closer to the common consensus?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2016, 09:06:10 pm »

As has been discussed in this thread, it's a combo between Bishop and a strong trasher.

As for the Gunpowder Plot, I wouldn't consider it "setting up" if you're sitting around doing nothing, and I wouldn't call it a combo even with that event.  As I said before, that kind of thing should really get its own name.  The word "combo" explicitly refers to a combination of cards.  A single thing isn't a combo.

Otherwise, yeah, I agree that "set it up and knock it down" is a good way to think of combo decks.

Bishop is a trasher, and I'm pretty sure I have done the golden deck with Bishop as the only trasher (I certainly have done it with Bishop and another weak trasher, namely Apprentice).

How else would you set up for Gunpowder Plot if not by sitting around doing nothing?

The word "combo" does not explicitly refer to a combination of cards. In fighting games, for instance, there are no cards at all, but there are still combos, which are (sometimes very specific) sequences of moves. In Magic, Belcher is a combo deck, but it's not a combination of two or more cards, you just win as soon as you play Goblin Charbelcher, which is a single card. Additionally, there are a lot of different varieties of storm combo decks, which hardly ever rely on any particular card interaction, but rather, they're kind of like engines in Dominion in how they play out (i.e. cards that give you more mana are kind of like Villages and cards that draw you more cards are kind of like Smithies and there are tons of different kinds of both), except all cards in Magic are one-shots (inb4 edge cases) so your payload has to kill the opponent immediately and instead of deckbuilding, the game consists of trying to get the right cards in your hand, so they're more like Madman megaturns. I don't see why the terminology for Dominion should be any different in that regard.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2016, 09:30:59 pm »

Bishop is a trasher, and I'm pretty sure I have done the golden deck with Bishop as the only trasher (I certainly have done it with Bishop and another weak trasher, namely Apprentice).

I think that would be the exception, not the rule.

How else would you set up for Gunpowder Plot if not by sitting around doing nothing?

You don't set up for it.  You wait.  That's why it should have its own name, if it ever became a thing in Dominion (which is highly unlikely).

The word "combo" does not explicitly refer to a combination of cards. In fighting games, for instance, there are no cards at all, but there are still combos, which are (sometimes very specific) sequences of moves. In Magic, Belcher is a combo deck, but it's not a combination of two or more cards, you just win as soon as you play Goblin Charbelcher, which is a single card. Additionally, there are a lot of different varieties of storm combo decks, which hardly ever rely on any particular card interaction, but rather, they're kind of like engines in Dominion in how they play out (i.e. cards that give you more mana are kind of like Villages and cards that draw you more cards are kind of like Smithies and there are tons of different kinds of both), except all cards in Magic are one-shots (inb4 edge cases) so your payload has to kill the opponent immediately and instead of deckbuilding, the game consists of trying to get the right cards in your hand, so they're more like Madman megaturns. I don't see why the terminology for Dominion should be any different in that regard.

But in Dominion, combo does refer to card combinations.

I'm not familiar enough with MtG, but a quick Google search suggests that the terminology in Magic matches what I've been saying all along.  From the MtG Salvation wiki:

Combo

Short for "combination".

1. Card combination: Any combination of two or more cards which produces a beneficial effect, designed to gain an advantage over the opponent.

2. Combo deck: A deck or archetype which uses a combo as its victory condition. The deck is designed entirely for the purpose of setting up and protecting the combo.

My best guess at this point is that you misuse or misunderstand the Magic terms too.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2016, 10:02:07 pm »

I think that would be the exception, not the rule.

I don't really think that it's that uncommon (probably still less common though). The viability of the golden deck is much more dependent on factors other than the presence of a strong trasher such as Chapel.

You don't set up for it.  You wait.

How is that difference in any way relevant?

Q: Combo doesn't refer to card combinations in these other games. Why should it refer to card combinations in Dominion?
A: Because it refers to card combinations in Dominion.

Pretty solid reasoning there, can't argue with that.

My best guess at this point is that you misuse or misunderstand the Magic terms too.

I don't think you can find anyone who doesn't think that Belcher is a combo deck. The last time I was playing Magic actively, it probably would have been considered the most combo of all decks in Legacy, since it had the least amount of disruption and the highest rate of winning the game before the opponent gets to play his first turn (the latter especially being something that Magic players generally associate with combo decks). Also, MTGSalvation is good for exactly one thing and that is spoilers for upcoming sets.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2016, 10:26:34 pm »

You don't set up for it.  You wait.

How is that difference in any way relevant?

"Setting up" means you're actually doing something.

Q: Combo doesn't refer to card combinations in these other games. Why should it refer to card combinations in Dominion?
A: Because it refers to card combinations in Dominion.

Pretty solid reasoning there, can't argue with that.

I was pointing out the irrelevance of you bringing up fighting games.  In Dominion and Magic, "combo" refers to cards.

I don't think you can find anyone who doesn't think that Belcher is a combo deck. The last time I was playing Magic actively, it probably would have been considered the most combo of all decks in Legacy, since it had the least amount of disruption and the highest rate of winning the game before the opponent gets to play his first turn (the latter especially being something that Magic players generally associate with combo decks). Also, MTGSalvation is good for exactly one thing and that is spoilers for upcoming sets.

My guess is that most people are thinking of Belcher in combination with other cards.  They're not thinking "yeah, Belcher and 59 of whatever other cards, doesn't matter what they are".

I invite you to provide some better sources where the definition of a combination includes a single card.  I've checked in a few other places and they all seem to agree that a combo is 2+ cards.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2016, 12:48:03 am »
+3

First, we are talking about Dominion, and Dominion is a card game. If Dominion introduced tiles with rules text in an expansion, then for sure you could have a combo between a card and a tile. But people talking about Dominion combos are naturally talking about cards.

Second, a combo, in these contexts, is where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That's the secret for identifying them.

Third, Belcher is 100% full-on flat-out a combo deck. The combo is Belcher and cards that produce mana without being lands. The deck isn't about getting two cards into play and then scoring off of their interaction; it doesn't have to be.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2016, 01:56:35 am »

Which is relevant how?

I was pointing out the irrelevance of you bringing up fighting games.  In Dominion and Magic, "combo" refers to cards.

Great examples of which are the Golden Deck and Belcher.

My guess is that most people are thinking of Belcher in combination with other cards.  They're not thinking "yeah, Belcher and 59 of whatever other cards, doesn't matter what they are".

Well, "Belcher and 59 of whatever other cards, doesn't matter what they are" isn't all that far from the truth, really. If you look at the primer for Belcher on The Source (which is to the Eternal formats pretty much what f.ds is to Dominion, except The Source is somewhat more competitive-oriented), it showcases three cards from the deck as images. Obviously Belcher is one of those cards. Another one is Empty the Warrens, which is an alternate win condition just in case you don't draw Belcher; it doesn't serve any other purpose in the deck, i.e. you actually don't want to draw both Empty the Warrens and Belcher during one game. The third one is Burning Wish, whose main purpose is to search for another Empty the Warrens in the situation where you didn't draw Belcher and you didn't even draw an Empty the Warrens. The three cards that the guy who wrote the article considers the main cards of the deck are cards that you don't ever want to draw together.

Naturally, it also matters what the rest of the cards do. Some of them always have to give you mana regardless of the deck you're playing, because otherwise you can't really do anything. In Belcher's case in particular, all of them have to give you lots of mana really fast because that's what allows you to generate enough mana to win on turn 1. There aren't really any of those cards that have any particular positive interaction with Belcher, Empty the Warrens or each other, so you just put in the best ones. The exception is Lion's Eye Diamond which is a strong card with a drawback that combo decks usually doesn't have to care about at all, so that's obviously automatically included in the deck, but it's still just a card that's really good at giving you lots of mana very fast, which means that you definitely don't need it in your hand in order to win, as long as you can get enough mana from other cards. Also they can't be lands, because Belcher antisynergizes with lands.

There exists also a related combo deck called the Spanish Inquisition. As you can see, the deck list is almost entirely different (and it's actually based on combinations of cards), but you can still just stick Goblin Charbelcher into the deck, and it still works, and it still kills your opponent on turn 1 way over 50% of the time. Or you can play almost the same deck without Goblin Charbelcher and it's very slightly slower and very slightly more resistant to counters. The only thing that these decks have in common with the more popular deck known as Belcher is that they run very few lands and a lot of ways to generate lots of mana very early, and well, the fact that they're extremely fast combo decks. Running very few lands and a lot of ways to generate lots of mana very early in general is a common characteristic of combo decks, because the extra mana is what makes them so fast, and because they're so fast, they don't need a lot of lands (you can play only one per turn, and if you're only ever going to have two turns, why have 20 lands?).

I invite you to provide some better sources where the definition of a combination includes a single card.  I've checked in a few other places and they all seem to agree that a combo is 2+ cards.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/24745-Eternal-Europe-Fundamentals-What-Is-Combo.html

There. "A combo deck in Magic terms is a deck that is fully dedicated to setting up a line of plays that will if left undisrupted either end the game on the spot or move it into a position that all but guarantees a win in the next one to two turns." After that definition, he then goes on to categorize combos into one-card combos, traditional combos and engine-combos. Response to this article on The Source: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?20560-SCG-Article-On-Combo — i.e. pretty positive. What is especially noteworthy about this is that it's a rather high-level strategy article talking about tournament decks.

Meanwhile, the article from Wizards features a card that says that it gets a bonus if you have an Island in play. And then the article explains how it can be beneficial to have Islands in play while you have that card in play. Granted, that's not the main focus of the article and they do say that it's just a synergy and not a combo, but it does reveal that the target audience for this article are the kind of Magic players who need to have it explained to them that when you have a card that benefits from having Islands in play, you might want to try to play it in a deck with lots of Islands. It's a "hey, check out these cool card interactions!" article for newbies. Nothing wrong with that, but you don't want to start an article like that explaining why this deck that kills you before you get to play anything is considered a one-card combo, you want to start it by showing off something fun and easy to understand. Like the SplinterTwin combo and its variations that actually are on the article.

The TappedOut definition is horrible. "A combo is an interaction between two cards that leads to game-ending advantage through a self-sustaining repeatable loop, an infinite loop, or a lock." That's arbitrarily restrictive, and according to this definition, the only combos in Dominion would be the Masquerade pin and that one thing with King's Court and Ironworks where you can keep gaining cards until the Supply runs out of them (which is a self-sustaining repeatable loop). It also excludes almost all tournament-viable Magic combos.

And that Wikipedia article contradicts its own definition by including the Belcher deck, which, even according to Wikipedia, is literally just playing and activating Goblin Charbelcher as long as your deck doesn't have too many lands in it.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2016, 08:30:38 am »

I'm now amusing myself trying to think of how to maximize your probability of reliably winning a Gunpowder Plot game. Events could come in quite handy.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2016, 10:47:13 am »
+2

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/24745-Eternal-Europe-Fundamentals-What-Is-Combo.html

There. "A combo deck in Magic terms is a deck that is fully dedicated to setting up a line of plays that will if left undisrupted either end the game on the spot or move it into a position that all but guarantees a win in the next one to two turns." After that definition, he then goes on to categorize combos into one-card combos, traditional combos and engine-combos.
I'm actually fine with this definition of "combo deck".  I think it's a good one.

I maintain, however, that a "combo" (not a combo DECK, just a combo) can (and does) absolutely refer to a set of some cards that work really well together, like Watchtower/Goons.  (Which is the point you originally contested:

)
I don't know if you're still standing by this position, but I'm convinced it's not the right position.

A combo deck may or may not be centred around a combo of cards - for instance it might actually only involve one card (your belcher example) or indeed might just fit the definition given above in some other way. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2016, 10:51:31 am »

)
I don't know if you're still standing by this position, but I'm convinced it's not the right position.

I most certainly stand by the position that on a kingdom with Watchtower and Goons, the the first thing you should notice is that the kingdom has great engine payload in Goons+Watchtower, not that the kingdom has a great "combo".

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2016, 11:04:52 am »
+2

)

I most certainly stand by the position that on a kingdom with Watchtower and Goons, the the first thing you should notice is that the kingdom has great engine payload in Goons+Watchtower, not that the kingdom has a great "combo".

True, but that's a different discussion.

I believe top players have said before that, by default, you should ask yourself 'how can I make an engine work on this board', and that you should generally go for the engine unless a) the engine is too weak (no good trashing/villages/draw/payload) or b) something else is too strong (Ironworks/Gardens rush, for example).

If the kingdom has Goons and Watchtower, that's absolutely amazing payload, but you won't be sure if the engine is playable until you look at the other 8 cards. Still, noticing the combo Goons/Watchtower is useful - if you don't notice that it's a combo, how else are you going to find the awesomeness of the payload? A newbie might just say 'oh, yeah, Goons is +Buy and an attack, and Watchtower can draw and topdeck good cards you just bought', and they'd be absolutely correct, but they'd also be completely overlooking the potential of the Watchtower/Goons combo.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2016, 12:06:50 pm »
+1

)

I believe top players have said before that, by default, you should ask yourself 'how can I make an engine work on this board', and that you should generally go for the engine unless a) the engine is too weak (no good trashing/villages/draw/payload) or b) something else is too strong (Ironworks/Gardens rush, for example).

If the kingdom has Goons and Watchtower, that's absolutely amazing payload, but you won't be sure if the engine is playable until you look at the other 8 cards. Still, noticing the combo Goons/Watchtower is useful - if you don't notice that it's a combo, how else are you going to find the awesomeness of the payload? A newbie might just say 'oh, yeah, Goons is +Buy and an attack, and Watchtower can draw and topdeck good cards you just bought', and they'd be absolutely correct, but they'd also be completely overlooking the potential of the Watchtower/Goons combo.

No, that's precisely this discussion. I'm trying to shift the focus from individual card interactions to the overall strategy, because the latter is super more important.

When Goons and Watchtower are in the kingdom, the engine had better be playable. I don't think it's super useful to look at a kingdom with no payload and try to figure out how you can make the engine work with Tribute as the only splitter and Counting House as the only other draw when the best payload is Gold; you can just look at the kingdom, see that there's no payload and move on to figuring out what other strategies you can make work. When Goons and Watchtower are there, though, you do want to give the engine with Tribute and Counting House as your engine components a little bit more thought.

You don't need to notice the "combo", you just need to know that you can buy Coppers and trash them with Watchtower and that gives you a bunch of VP tokens, which makes for great engine payload. At no point does it benefit you to know that this is referred to as a "combo" by some people, or to make the connection between that concept and what you're doing. This is because it doesn't matter how many different cards you need to achieve what you want to achieve. In contrast, it is hugely beneficial to make the connection between the concept of engine payload and what you're doing, because the fact that you're playing an engine strategy has a lot of implications regarding what kinds of plays you should actually make during the game.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2016, 12:23:06 pm »
+3

)

No, that's precisely this discussion. I'm trying to shift the focus from individual card interactions to the overall strategy, because the latter is super more important.

When Goons and Watchtower are in the kingdom, the engine had better be playable. I don't think it's super useful to look at a kingdom with no payload and try to figure out how you can make the engine work with Tribute as the only splitter and Counting House as the only other draw when the best payload is Gold; you can just look at the kingdom, see that there's no payload and move on to figuring out what other strategies you can make work. When Goons and Watchtower are there, though, you do want to give the engine with Tribute and Counting House as your engine components a little bit more thought.

You don't need to notice the "combo", you just need to know that you can buy Coppers and trash them with Watchtower and that gives you a bunch of VP tokens, which makes for great engine payload. At no point does it benefit you to know that this is referred to as a "combo" by some people, or to make the connection between that concept and what you're doing. This is because it doesn't matter how many different cards you need to achieve what you want to achieve. In contrast, it is hugely beneficial to make the connection between the concept of engine payload and what you're doing, because the fact that you're playing an engine strategy has a lot of implications regarding what kinds of plays you should actually make during the game.
The bolded part - a very noble cause and definitely a good thing for the community.  Great.  (EDIT: in rereading this post-post, I realise this looks sarcastic.  It's not meant as such, I'm quite sincere about it.)
I don't disagree with any of this post. 

Except the part in italics.  What has happened here is that you have made a bold and hard-to-defend claim (that the term "combo" has a different definition to the one that I and apparently many other here are familiar with.), in a typically brusque and confrontational manner.   When we've made points to argue with your position on that matter, you've started talking about something else entirely, and are now claiming that the other thing is what the discussion was about all along.   I'm happy to have this other discussion, and your points on that front are very good and make a lot of sense.  But before we get to that I would like you to actually state whether or not you actually agree with what we've been trying to get you to agree with all along - ie. that Watchtower/Goons (for example) qualifies as a "combo".

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2016, 12:38:39 pm »

Except the part in italics.  What has happened here is that you have made a bold and hard-to-defend claim (that the term "combo" has a different definition to the one that I and apparently many other here are familiar with.), in a typically brusque and confrontational manner.   When we've made points to argue with your position on that matter, you've started talking about something else entirely, and are now claiming that the other thing is what the discussion was about all along.   I'm happy to have this other discussion, and your points on that front are very good and make a lot of sense.  But before we get to that I would like you to actually state whether or not you actually agree with what we've been trying to get you to agree with all along - ie. that Watchtower/Goons (for example) qualifies as a "combo".

I'm not going to call it a combo and I don't think people should be calling it a combo.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2016, 12:40:20 pm »

I'm not going to call it a combo and I don't think people should be calling it a combo.
And thus the conversation has gone full-circle.

Ugh.

<goes to smash his own head against nearest wall>

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2016, 03:34:04 pm »
+3

Which is relevant how?

At this point you should just check a dictionary.  You're being intentionally obtuse.

Great examples of which are the Golden Deck and Belcher.

Which are being discussed because they are relevant.  Doesn't explain why you brought up fighting games.

Well, "Belcher and 59 of whatever other cards, doesn't matter what they are" isn't all that far from the truth, really. If you look at the primer for Belcher on The Source (which is to the Eternal formats pretty much what f.ds is to Dominion, except The Source is somewhat more competitive-oriented), it showcases three cards from the deck as images. Obviously Belcher is one of those cards. Another one is Empty the Warrens, which is an alternate win condition just in case you don't draw Belcher; it doesn't serve any other purpose in the deck, i.e. you actually don't want to draw both Empty the Warrens and Belcher during one game. The third one is Burning Wish, whose main purpose is to search for another Empty the Warrens in the situation where you didn't draw Belcher and you didn't even draw an Empty the Warrens. The three cards that the guy who wrote the article considers the main cards of the deck are cards that you don't ever want to draw together.

Naturally, it also matters what the rest of the cards do. Some of them always have to give you mana regardless of the deck you're playing, because otherwise you can't really do anything. In Belcher's case in particular, all of them have to give you lots of mana really fast because that's what allows you to generate enough mana to win on turn 1. There aren't really any of those cards that have any particular positive interaction with Belcher, Empty the Warrens or each other, so you just put in the best ones. The exception is Lion's Eye Diamond which is a strong card with a drawback that combo decks usually doesn't have to care about at all, so that's obviously automatically included in the deck, but it's still just a card that's really good at giving you lots of mana very fast, which means that you definitely don't need it in your hand in order to win, as long as you can get enough mana from other cards. Also they can't be lands, because Belcher antisynergizes with lands.

There exists also a related combo deck called the Spanish Inquisition. As you can see, the deck list is almost entirely different (and it's actually based on combinations of cards), but you can still just stick Goblin Charbelcher into the deck, and it still works, and it still kills your opponent on turn 1 way over 50% of the time. Or you can play almost the same deck without Goblin Charbelcher and it's very slightly slower and very slightly more resistant to counters. The only thing that these decks have in common with the more popular deck known as Belcher is that they run very few lands and a lot of ways to generate lots of mana very early, and well, the fact that they're extremely fast combo decks. Running very few lands and a lot of ways to generate lots of mana very early in general is a common characteristic of combo decks, because the extra mana is what makes them so fast, and because they're so fast, they don't need a lot of lands (you can play only one per turn, and if you're only ever going to have two turns, why have 20 lands?).

I defer to Donald X. on this:

Third, Belcher is 100% full-on flat-out a combo deck. The combo is Belcher and cards that produce mana without being lands. The deck isn't about getting two cards into play and then scoring off of their interaction; it doesn't have to be.

Moreover, this makes me realize that even if you are correct about the meaning of "combo deck" in MtG, it doesn't really apply to Dominion simply because of the sheer scope.  The combo seems to be Belcher + X, where X is special but there are still many options to fill that role.  Moreover, due to the nature of deck construction, you have access to most of those options when you don't in Dominion.

There. "A combo deck in Magic terms is a deck that is fully dedicated to setting up a line of plays that will if left undisrupted either end the game on the spot or move it into a position that all but guarantees a win in the next one to two turns." After that definition, he then goes on to categorize combos into one-card combos, traditional combos and engine-combos. Response to this article on The Source: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?20560-SCG-Article-On-Combo — i.e. pretty positive. What is especially noteworthy about this is that it's a rather high-level strategy article talking about tournament decks.

Thank-you.  Now we're getting somewhere.

The introduction implies that the definition that the author proposes is not the traditional one.  He makes that explicit later on:

Since almost none of the single-card combos are legal what is one to do? Well for one thing we can approach combo the way it has traditionally been conceived: setting up a combination of multiple pieces to win the game.

So the traditional definition is exactly the definition that everyone else here has been using.  No doubt a large portion of the MtG community still uses the traditional definition as well (as evidenced by previously provided links).  You can decry those other sources as non-competitive, newbies, whatever, but it doesn't change the fact that they are a significant portion of the MtG community.  So your argument that we should use the same definition as used in MtG doesn't mean much, when that community has a few differing definitions themselves.

Mr. Kotter is proposing a better definition, and he makes a compelling case as to why it is better... for Magic.  But that doesn't mean it carries over to Dominion.

...the reason this is a much better definition is that it describes the way a combo decks wants its games to play out instead of focusing purely on deck construction.

Generally speaking this is the correct approach to identifying strategies and deck types because what informs your decision making in a particular matchup and allows you to find cards and strategies that are effective against your opponent isn't which cards (or colors for that matter) are in their deck—it's what they're trying to do.

This is a key difference from Dominion.  The Magic player is concerned with how the game plays out, not as much on deck construction.  MtG has thousands upon thousands of cards, and since there isn't a kingdom of just 10 cards, you can't really predict the specific cards in their deck.  So the approach to strategy is about learning high level approaches, "what they're trying to do", rather than how to respond to super-specific cards or card combos.

But Dominion is a deck-building game.  You need to focus on the deck construction here.  There is a small set of cards in each game.  You can improve your game by considering specific cards and card combos.

Kotter considers three categories of the Combo Deck archetype.  First, the one-card combo.

One-card decks are in a way the holy grail of combo deckbuilding. They are decks that win as soon as they manage to resolve (or activate) their single key card.

All well and good for Magic, but is this applicable to Dominion?  Not really, IMO.  There is no single card in Dominion that just wins you the game when you play it.  The closest thing you've brought up is Bishop in a golden deck, and you usually need trashing support for it to work so it doesn't really function as a one-card combo.  You've argued this lightly, but I'm sure you know deep down that trying to reach Golden Deck status with only Bishops is a painful path.

Well, I guess there's Rebuild.  Do you consider Rebuild as a one-card combo deck?

Second, Kotter mentions the traditional definition with a combo of 2+ pieces.  I've already addressed this above.  It's a good definition, it's one that everybody uses.

Kotter's third category is the engine combo:

Engine Combo. These decks are what totally demolish the intuitive definition of a combo deck. Instead of trying to set up a particular combination of cards they try to achieve a "critical mass" of interchangeable pieces that all perform one or both of two critical functions: drawing cards or producing mana. What they aim to do is to accumulate the resources to fuel one big turn of constant resource exchange cards into mana into cards into mana and so on.

I'm not sure what the Dominion analogue for this would be, because games of Dominion don't end the same way as games of Magic.  As far as "interchangeable pieces" go, the best I can come up with is how engines in Dominion seek trashing, +cards, +buy, etc. and can get them from a variety of sources.  But are you proposing that we fold the Engine Deck archetype into the Combo Deck archetype?

Overall, the article you've linked has done a fantastic job at convincing me that it's far more intuitive and far more strategically useful to use the traditional definition of "combo deck" in Dominion.

)

Sure, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't call Watchtower+Goons a combo.  Even Carsten Kotter makes a distinction between "combo" and "combo deck":

After all combo comes from "combination" so we expect a combo deck to be one that tries to set up a certain combination of cards that then has a powerful effect on the game.

The whole point of his article is to expand the understanding of "combo deck", not to usurp the de facto definition of "combo".  They are two different terms that have different uses.  For convenience you may say "combo" to refer to the deck archetype if you provide the proper context (as Kotter does later in his article), but that doesn't change that "combo" also legitimately refers to a small set of cards with strong synergy.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2016, 03:49:48 pm »
+2

Remind me to never post a combo thread ever.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2016, 03:52:17 pm »
+4

Remind me to never post a combo thread argue with Awaclus ever.
FTFY

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2016, 04:23:54 pm »
+2

Remind me to never post a combo thread ever.

Unfortunately Merchant Guild/Goons is a nombo, in the sense that it's way worse than the Goons/Goons self-synergy. In a Goons engine, you want all your terminal space to go to Goons, to something necessary to set up multi-Goons (draw, trashing), or, if you think the attack will be effective enough, to stop your opponent from doing so (junking, trashing attack). The only exception perhaps is Bridge, which enhances your Goons by enabling you to make more non-Copper (and thus non-stop-card) buys.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2016, 04:49:44 pm »

At this point you should just check a dictionary.  You're being intentionally obtuse.

How is a dictionary going to educate me about what kind of strategic implications in Dominion the difference between not doing anything in order to prepare for a very specific situation and doing something in order to prepare for a very specific situation has?

Which are being discussed because they are relevant.  Doesn't explain why you brought up fighting games.

You said that the word "combo" refers explicitly to a combination of cards. However, it clearly does not explicitly contain the word "card" anywhere in the word "combo", and I brought up fighting games as an example to demonstrate that it doesn't even implicitly refer to a combination of cards.

Moreover, this makes me realize that even if you are correct about the meaning of "combo deck" in MtG, it doesn't really apply to Dominion simply because of the sheer scope.  The combo seems to be Belcher + X, where X is special but there are still many options to fill that role.  Moreover, due to the nature of deck construction, you have access to most of those options when you don't in Dominion.

Okay, let's use Donald's definition for combo then. Guys, I found this cool new combo! Province+$8. When you have $8, you can buy a Province. The combo is $8 and a Province.

Belcher is exactly like that. Except instead of gaining a Province, you kill your opponent.

The introduction implies that the definition that the author proposes is not the traditional one.  He makes that explicit later on:

Since almost none of the single-card combos are legal what is one to do? Well for one thing we can approach combo the way it has traditionally been conceived: setting up a combination of multiple pieces to win the game.

So the traditional definition is exactly the definition that everyone else here has been using.  No doubt a large portion of the MtG community still uses the traditional definition as well (as evidenced by previously provided links).  You can decry those other sources as non-competitive, newbies, whatever, but it doesn't change the fact that they are a significant portion of the MtG community.  So your argument that we should use the same definition as used in MtG doesn't mean much, when that community has a few differing definitions themselves.

It's not that he's proposing a new definition to include more decks under the name "combo"; it's that he's proposing to new definition that actually includes the decks that people already perceive to be combo.

After all combo comes from "combination" so we expect a combo deck to be one that tries to set up a certain combination of cards that then has a powerful effect on the game. And while that definition is correct for some decks we refer to under the combo moniker a lot of them actually do something rather different.

It has been common for people to define combo in some way, and then proceed to talk about combos that don't fall under that definition (like that Wikipedia article still does).

This is a key difference from Dominion.  The Magic player is concerned with how the game plays out, not as much on deck construction.  MtG has thousands upon thousands of cards, and since there isn't a kingdom of just 10 cards, you can't really predict the specific cards in their deck.  So the approach to strategy is about learning high level approaches, "what they're trying to do", rather than how to respond to super-specific cards or card combos.

But Dominion is a deck-building game.  You need to focus on the deck construction here.  There is a small set of cards in each game.  You can improve your game by considering specific cards and card combos.

You can actually predict the specific cards in your opponent's deck in Magic, especially the Legacy format which this article is talking about, because the deckbuilding aspect of Magic consists of going on the Internet and copying the exact deck from someone who placed high in a big tournament. Sometimes they might have one or two surprising cards, but generally, after you've seen their first turn, you can have an extremely good idea what the exact 60 cards in their deck are, and usually, it's the maximum 4 allowed copies of each of 12 different cards. Even when the opponent has something other than the most common cards for their type of deck, the cards that change are support cards, not the core of the deck. That's not very different from the 10 different cards in Dominion, and it is a huge mistake to believe that you can improve your game by considering specific cards and card combos rather than what you're trying to do in Dominion.

Kotter considers three categories of the Combo Deck archetype.  First, the one-card combo.

One-card decks are in a way the holy grail of combo deckbuilding. They are decks that win as soon as they manage to resolve (or activate) their single key card.

All well and good for Magic, but is this applicable to Dominion?  Not really, IMO.  There is no single card in Dominion that just wins you the game when you play it.  The closest thing you've brought up is Bishop in a golden deck, and you usually need trashing support for it to work so it doesn't really function as a one-card combo.  You've argued this lightly, but I'm sure you know deep down that trying to reach Golden Deck status with only Bishops is a painful path.

This is not really applicable to Dominion. In Magic, a combo needs to actually win the game immediately, because otherwise you're going to lose against the aggro decks that beat you down in like 4 turns. In Dominion, it doesn't need to win immediately, because a lot of the time you're still faster than big money.

Trying to reach Golden Deck status with only Bishops under the right circumstances is a far less painful path than trying to do so with Chapel and the wrong circumstances. Like I said, I have done so with Apprentice as the only trashing, and Apprentice is hardly any better at helping you get super thin than Bishop itself. I also won that game. I'm also pretty sure that I have done it with just Bishop, but that game I don't remember as vividly so I can't be 100% sure it actually happened. I have certainly done Bishop golden decks every now and then (probably less than 10 games total), and I don't think any super strong trashing was in any of those games. Sometimes something like Throne Room helped make the Bishop faster at getting rid of my cards though, I think. I can honestly say that based on the experiences I have had with Bishop golden decks, I believe that it is not the case that strong trashing is necessary for the Bishop golden deck.

Well, I guess there's Rebuild.  Do you consider Rebuild as a one-card combo deck?

No, it's a rush.

Second, Kotter mentions the traditional definition with a combo of 2+ pieces.  I've already addressed this above.  It's a good definition, it's one that everybody uses.

It's not a good definition because it is completely irrelevant from a strategic point of view how many differently named cards your deck needs to do what it does, in both Magic and Dominion, and the definition doesn't include all the decks that people intuitively feel are combo decks.

Engine Combo. These decks are what totally demolish the intuitive definition of a combo deck. Instead of trying to set up a particular combination of cards they try to achieve a "critical mass" of interchangeable pieces that all perform one or both of two critical functions: drawing cards or producing mana. What they aim to do is to accumulate the resources to fuel one big turn of constant resource exchange cards into mana into cards into mana and so on.

I'm not sure what the Dominion analogue for this would be, because games of Dominion don't end the same way as games of Magic.  As far as "interchangeable pieces" go, the best I can come up with is how engines in Dominion seek trashing, +cards, +buy, etc. and can get them from a variety of sources.  But are you proposing that we fold the Engine Deck archetype into the Combo Deck archetype?

The Dominion analogue for this would be Madman megaturns. Except with tons of different kinds of Madmen. As it turns out, the most prominent example of a Madman megaturn in Dominion is Hermit/Market Square, which is most certainly a combo by any imaginable definition (except for the one you found at TappedOut).

Overall, the article you've linked has done a fantastic job at convincing me that it's far more intuitive and far more strategically useful to use the traditional definition of "combo deck" in Dominion.

Well, have fun and don't complain to me when you lose games against players who focus more on the overall strategy than you do.

Sure, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't call Watchtower+Goons a combo.  Even Carsten Kotter makes a distinction between "combo" and "combo deck":

After all combo comes from "combination" so we expect a combo deck to be one that tries to set up a certain combination of cards that then has a powerful effect on the game.

That's not what that means. It just means that since the word "combo" is etymologically related to the word "combination", you would expect "combo" to contain of combinations of different cards.

but that doesn't change that "combo" also legitimately refers to a small set of cards with strong synergy.

Fine, but you shouldn't use the word to legitimately refer to a small set of cards with strong synergy.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2016, 05:49:08 pm »
+3

Okay, let's use Donald's definition for combo then. Guys, I found this cool new combo! Province+$8. When you have $8, you can buy a Province. The combo is $8 and a Province.

Belcher is exactly like that. Except instead of gaining a Province, you kill your opponent.
$8 and "Provinces in the pile" isn't what people mean by a combo, as if you didn't know. A huge thing here is that Province is almost always there, given the rules of the game. It would not be a combo in any sense if it were not possible to have no Provinces in the pile - something you always have is not part of a combo, it's just part of how the game works. It's like saying "I have a bunch of Chess pieces on the board and it's my turn, combo." Province and $8 are technically a combo in a very narrow way because actually there may be no Provinces in the pile at a point in your turn at which you could buy one if only there were. But it's not a way anyone uses the term.

A more correct basic example like that is, Gold and Gold and Silver are a combo. Together they let you get a Province! And I mean, when people talk about Dominion combos obviously they don't mean stuff like that, because it's so basic. If you use "combo" like that you will just have miscommunications. It's a combo but not what people are talking about when they use the word.

If a Magic article on the Wizards site says "Kird Ape and Forest are a synergy, not a combo," well that's nonsense. They're a combo, and the kind anyone talks about; an easy one to get but still a combo. You don't always have the Forest. A synergy is a subset of combos in which the cards just pursue the same direction, like Stone Rain and Sinkhole. Those are actually a combo in the Donald X. sense, because destroying two lands is more significant than twice the value of destroying one land. But people don't use the term there, they say synergy. It's obviously very distinct from Kird Ape plus Forest, which are much different by themselves.

Belcher, meanwhile, is a classic combo in the way game-playing humans use the term. They could reprint Goblin Charbelcher in the next set and the deck wouldn't exist in Standard. Recent sets do not have Elvish Spirit Guides and Chrome Moxes to let you cast Charbelcher without having lands in your deck. Without such cards, there is no deck. It absolutely depends on card interactions. Belcher isn't remotely like $8 and a Province, or like Gold Gold Silver.

Theory please move this thread to a forum where I can edit posts and close threads.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Doc Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2016, 06:19:03 pm »

Fine, but you shouldn't use the word to legitimately refer to a small set of cards with strong synergy.
You know what, I'm fine with that.  It's possible we agree.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2016, 06:39:47 pm »

Well, now I certainly have built the Bishop golden deck without any other trashing — in a full random automatch Pro game.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160422/log.0.1461364564474.txt

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2016, 06:48:30 pm »

How is a dictionary going to educate me about what kind of strategic implications in Dominion the difference between not doing anything in order to prepare for a very specific situation and doing something in order to prepare for a very specific situation has?

It might educate you on the meaning of words.

You said that the word "combo" refers explicitly to a combination of cards. However, it clearly does not explicitly contain the word "card" anywhere in the word "combo", and I brought up fighting games as an example to demonstrate that it doesn't even implicitly refer to a combination of cards.

Context is key.  We're talking about Dominion.  In Dominion, "combo" refers explicitly to cards.

Donald has addressed this.  I don't understand your rhetoric though.  I assume that you're being sarcastic in calling "Province + $8" a combo, which is ridiculous, but then you say it applies to your own top example so... OK.

It's not that he's proposing a new definition to include more decks under the name "combo"; it's that he's proposing to new definition that actually includes the decks that people already perceive to be combo.

After all combo comes from "combination" so we expect a combo deck to be one that tries to set up a certain combination of cards that then has a powerful effect on the game. And while that definition is correct for some decks we refer to under the combo moniker a lot of them actually do something rather different.

It has been common for people to define combo in some way, and then proceed to talk about combos that don't fall under that definition (like that Wikipedia article still does).

OK then.  It doesn't change the fact that "combo deck" was traditionally defined that way, and in Dominion people use it in that traditional way.

You can actually predict the specific cards in your opponent's deck in Magic, especially the Legacy format which this article is talking about, because the deckbuilding aspect of Magic consists of going on the Internet and copying the exact deck from someone who placed high in a big tournament. Sometimes they might have one or two surprising cards, but generally, after you've seen their first turn, you can have an extremely good idea what the exact 60 cards in their deck are, and usually, it's the maximum 4 allowed copies of each of 12 different cards. Even when the opponent has something other than the most common cards for their type of deck, the cards that change are support cards, not the core of the deck. That's not very different from the 10 different cards in Dominion, and it is a huge mistake to believe that you can improve your game by considering specific cards and card combos rather than what you're trying to do in Dominion.

You don't have the same set of cards in your deck.  Maybe you can predict the rest of their deck after one turn, but by then they may have already won.  That's a huge difference.

This is not really applicable to Dominion. In Magic, a combo needs to actually win the game immediately, because otherwise you're going to lose against the aggro decks that beat you down in like 4 turns. In Dominion, it doesn't need to win immediately, because a lot of the time you're still faster than big money.

Totally.  That's why the definition that might work best for Magic doesn't necessarily translate to Dominion.  Exactly the point I was making.

Trying to reach Golden Deck status with only Bishops under the right circumstances is a far less painful path than trying to do so with Chapel and the wrong circumstances. Like I said, I have done so with Apprentice as the only trashing, and Apprentice is hardly any better at helping you get super thin than Bishop itself. I also won that game. I'm also pretty sure that I have done it with just Bishop, but that game I don't remember as vividly so I can't be 100% sure it actually happened. I have certainly done Bishop golden decks every now and then (probably less than 10 games total), and I don't think any super strong trashing was in any of those games. Sometimes something like Throne Room helped make the Bishop faster at getting rid of my cards though, I think. I can honestly say that based on the experiences I have had with Bishop golden decks, I believe that it is not the case that strong trashing is necessary for the Bishop golden deck.

OK.  And in my experience, and the commonly reported experiences if most other players, strong trashing is a factor.  If we're just comparing anecdotes, you're not on the common side of experience there.

No, it's a rush.

So Kotter's definitions don't fit Dominion so well after all.

It's not a good definition because it is completely irrelevant from a strategic point of view how many differently named cards your deck needs to do what it does, in both Magic and Dominion, and the definition doesn't include all the decks that people intuitively feel are combo decks.

It's useful for discussion.  For newer players, considering specific card combos is a great starting place as they improve their game.  It's maybe less useful in Magic because of the plethora of options, but Dominion is still limited enough that it doesn't hurt.  Even if it is irrelevant (and you are the only one who seems to feel that way), it's not harmful.  You can continue using "combo deck" as you will.  Context is key.

It's odd that you talk about what is "intuitive" when you continue to use language that is counterintuitive.  Even the author of the article says that it's not intuitive.

The Dominion analogue for this would be Madman megaturns. Except with tons of different kinds of Madmen. As it turns out, the most prominent example of a Madman megaturn in Dominion is Hermit/Market Square, which is most certainly a combo by any imaginable definition (except for the one you found at TappedOut).

Doesn't seem the same, since there is only one Madman card.  That's a key card, not interchangeable.

Well, have fun and don't complain to me when you lose games against players who focus more on the overall strategy than you do.

The fact that I'm against your unintuitive personal definition of terms already used in particular ways by the community says nothing about my focus in strategy.  I have no objection against focusing on overall strategy.  I'm just against your poor use of language.

That's not what that means. It just means that since the word "combo" is etymologically related to the word "combination", you would expect "combo" to contain of combinations of different cards.

No, it means that "combo" is about a combination of cards in the traditional definition, so "combo deck" is expected to be a deck that revolves around a card combination.  This is basic English.

but that doesn't change that "combo" also legitimately refers to a small set of cards with strong synergy.

You're saying that we shouldn't use words to mean what they mean.  How can anybody think that this is a sensible position to take?

(Edit to fix quoting)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:26:04 pm by eHalcyon »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2016, 06:59:39 pm »

I read your post, but I want to avoid writing posts that long myself, so I'm just going to ask you this. Which deck archetype would you say I went for in this game I played just a while ago?

Well, now I certainly have built the Bishop golden deck without any other trashing — in a full random automatch Pro game.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160422/log.0.1461364564474.txt

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2016, 07:21:59 pm »

I read your post, but I want to avoid writing posts that long myself, so I'm just going to ask you this. Which deck archetype would you say I went for in this game I played just a while ago?

Rush. You're setting up a deck that deliberately triggers the end conditions before any other deck can get going.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2016, 07:24:07 pm »

Rush. You're setting up a deck that deliberately triggers the end conditions before any other deck can get going.

...on turn 25, by trashing Golds and buying Golds. Right.

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2016, 07:25:22 pm »
+7

Merchant Guild/Goons is not a very viable combo. This thread is over. You can all go home now.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:40:42 pm by Darth Vader »

Dingan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2016, 07:39:07 pm »
+11

Man, poor McGarnacle.  All he wanted was to know if Merchant Guild/Goons was a thing.  Glad we've scared him out of ever asking a question again.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:44:18 pm by Dingan »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2016, 07:50:03 pm »

It's a little late; you've already written posts that long.  Most of the length of my post is quotes of yours. :P

You played a Bishop Golden Deck, which is put under the Combo Deck archetype as a combo between Bishop and other trashing trashing.  In this case, the other trashing primarily came from the opponent's Bishop.  OK, it's also a Bishop and not exactly a different card, fair enough.

I don't mind calling that a combo deck.  If I said otherwise earlier (I don't think I did) then you can consider this a concession.  There's still a combination of cards at play here (there is a difference between "your Bishop" and "my Bishop"), but it's not a big deal either way.

If there were no combination of cards (like with your "Gunpowder Plot" example) and no set up, it would not be a combo deck.  It would be a new, unnamed archetype.

A combo deck is still not the same thing as a combo.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:52:36 pm by eHalcyon »

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2016, 09:32:02 am »
+3

petition to make nothing be defined as anything

Seconded

Man, poor McGarnacle.  All he wanted was to know if Merchant Guild/Goons was a thing.  Glad we've scared him out of ever asking a question again.

Yes, this is quite scary... Are we a bit off topic here?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:34:57 am by McGarnacle »

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

math

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: math
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2016, 09:17:21 pm »

Ok, let's go back to the Merchant Guild vs. Goons discussion.  Here's a hypothetical situation:  Border Village is in the supply.  On your $6 hands, do you buy Goons, or Border Village+Merchant Guild?  What other factors might influence that decision?  Obviously Border Village won't be in most games with these cards, but it's a starting point to get discussion going again.

singletee

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2016, 11:08:25 pm »
+1

Ok, let's go back to the Merchant Guild vs. Goons discussion.  Here's a hypothetical situation:  Border Village is in the supply.  On your $6 hands, do you buy Goons, or Border Village+Merchant Guild?  What other factors might influence that decision?  Obviously Border Village won't be in most games with these cards, but it's a starting point to get discussion going again.

You will want to buy Goons until approximately 1/5 of your deck is Goons; then, if you can get BV with a nonterminal that can give you economy or handsize (e.g. Ironmonger, Lab, Lost City, Fishing Village), do that and proceed to buy more Goons, otherwise buy Gold. The reason you need economy or handsize increase with your BVs is that a Goons/Goons/BV hand that draws Copper (quite likely) is going to end up with $5. With that $5 you are going to get something subpar, possibly Silver, and wonder why you didn't just play Goons-Big Money.

This assumes there's no trashing. If you have access to enough trashing, draw, and actions to build a draw-your-deck-and-play-multiple-Goons engine, do that, because then you win.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2016, 11:44:46 pm »
+4

In a hypothetical board of only Goons, Merchant Guild, and Border Village, I would buy 1 or 2 Merchant Guilds if I randomly hit $5, but probably not Border Village until I needed to pick up Duchies. Merchant Guild (coin tokens in general) are very good at smoothing out money curves. Changing $5 to $6 or $7 to $8 is huge in BM games.

People are going to yell at me for giving strategy advice on a hypothetical kingdom of only 3 cards, because obviously every board is at least 10 action cards, and the odds of getting those exact 3 cards and nothing else that makes an engine good is so low, stop giving advice that only works in a vacuum that will never appear in a practical setting, that's so 2012. But secretly, I will agree with these people, and wrote all that to subtly introduce my feelings on this type of strategy discussion. The problem is that if you give advice like that all the time, soon you have no advice to give except "play more games", and that's boring and unhelpful. I think hypotheticals like this do have value. Just don't put a ton of stock into them - the advice is all very fluid.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2016, 04:53:11 am »
+1

People are going to yell at me for giving strategy advice on a hypothetical kingdom of only 3 cards, because obviously every board is at least 10 action cards,

[Awaclus-mode enabled]

Every board is at least 10 kingdom cards, but not necessarily 10 action cards, since alt-VP and kingdom treasures are a thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 7.057 seconds with 20 queries.