Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Pact with the Devil: Help me balance an event  (Read 8689 times)

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
Re: Pact with the Devil: Help me balance an event
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2016, 10:25:11 pm »

Is there any way to get around the Watchtower hijinks? Sure, it's only once per turn, but...

Does "Gain a Curse, putting it into your hand. If you do..." work? In other words, the "if you do" clause is contingent on you putting it in your hand, which you can't if you react using Watchtower first? How about "putting it on top of your deck"? (a nastier drawback).
I don't think it works. You can react when your opponent plays Torture. "Gain. Put it." works.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 10:34:07 pm »

Do you think the event would be more interesting if you could either trash a card or gain a card from the trash (opponent's choice) and get $?

Pact-$1
+1 buy
Choose one: trash a card from your hand or the player to your left chooses a card in the trash. Gain it and $3

This ruins the Watchtower thing too!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 10:36:39 pm »

Do you think the event would be more interesting if you could either trash a card or gain a card from the trash (opponent's choice) and get $?

Pact-$1
+1 buy
Choose one: trash a card from your hand or the player to your left chooses a card in the trash. Gain it and $3

Fortress

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 10:45:17 pm »

What about:

"The player to your left chooses two non Victory cards from the supply with a combined cost in coins of 4$ or more. Gain those cards."

Not sure how good something like this would be though. Maybe adding a "Trash a card from your hand" would make it less sucky.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 10:50:35 pm »

What about:

"The player to your left chooses two non Victory cards from the supply with a combined cost in coins of 4$ or more. Gain those cards."

Not sure how good something like this would be though. Maybe adding a "Trash a card from your hand" would make it less sucky.

I do like this idea. If there were a simple way to make it work around Watchtower, that would be nice too, but in thinking about it more, it just turns one Watchtower in your hand into a silver. I can live with that.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 11:45:34 pm »
+2

I do like this idea. If there were a simple way to make it work around Watchtower, that would be nice too, but in thinking about it more, it just turns one Watchtower in your hand into a silver Royal Seal. I can live with that.

FTFY

EDIT: I don't actually care, it's just that I haven't been aņal in a while and I kinda missed it. Also, 2345th post.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:49:00 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2016, 12:45:15 pm »
+1

Is there any way to get around the Watchtower hijinks? Sure, it's only once per turn, but...

Does "Gain a Curse, putting it into your hand. If you do..." work? In other words, the "if you do" clause is contingent on you putting it in your hand, which you can't if you react using Watchtower first? How about "putting it on top of your deck"? (a nastier drawback).
I don't think it works. You can react when your opponent plays Torture. "Gain. Put it." works.

I'm not sure -- Torturer doesn't have a "if you do" clause. Watchtower reacts to the gaining part -- I assume this is before the Curse even made it to your hand.

The question is if Soothsayer were worded like "Gain a Curse, putting it into your hand. If you do, draw a card". Do you draw a card even if you trashed the Curse with Watchtower?

I agree that the unambiguous solution is "Gain a Curse. Put it into your hand. If you do, +$2". During the Buy phase this is pretty much the same as putting it into your discard pile, except for things like Farmland.

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 04:15:43 pm »

I'm not sure -- Torturer doesn't have a "if you do" clause. Watchtower reacts to the gaining part -- I assume this is before the Curse even made it to your hand.

The question is if Soothsayer were worded like "Gain a Curse, putting it into your hand. If you do, draw a card". Do you draw a card even if you trashed the Curse with Watchtower?

I agree that the unambiguous solution is "Gain a Curse. Put it into your hand. If you do, +$2". During the Buy phase this is pretty much the same as putting it into your discard pile, except for things like Farmland.

I think I like this best. I will change it when I get a chance.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2016, 04:29:07 pm »
+3

I don't see any need to avoid a combo with Watchtower. So it's a good combo, what's wrong with that? No different than Goons + Watchtower. Goons could very well read "gain a Curse. If you do, +". If you look at it that way, it's quite similar to Pact. Of course, in actuality Goons is much stronger, meaning the combo with Watchtower is even stronger.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2016, 06:19:51 pm »

The original one did not have the 'once per turn' clause...

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 11:20:35 pm »
+2

This card is great. Doesn't matter that it makes Watchtower strictly better than Royal Seal: It already was!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:49:56 pm by liopoil »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 11:47:08 pm »

Pact-$1
+1 buy

Fortress
What about it?

I pay $1 to trash my Fortress. Then it returns to my hand.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2016, 03:12:38 am »
+1

Pact-$1
+1 buy

Fortress
What about it?

I suspect that MJ misunderstood the if clause, interpreting that you get 3 coins either way. That version is waaay OP even without considering Fortress. T1 You can play a copper, trash 4 starting cards, VLAM! buy Province.
Still, I'm afraid that your card might still be overpowered, since it turns Silver into a nonterminal 3-cards trasher (you trash 4 cards, but get the first one back). And you get to use the Silver later, :).
As soon as you produce enough coins, it gets trivial to do extreme thinning.

So yeah, probably you want to put a once per turn clause there. And still, the first player gets free +2 coins in the opening (trash is empty), or the possibility to trash a card and negate that advantage to P2.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 10:58:15 pm »
+1

Pact-$1
+1 buy

Fortress
What about it?

I suspect that MJ misunderstood the if clause, interpreting that you get 3 coins either way.

Oh, I misunderstood like this.
+1 buy
Choose one: trash a card from your hand or the player to your left chooses a card in the trash.
Gain it and $3.

You meant to say,
+1 buy
Choose one:
trash a card from your hand;
or +$3, the player to your left names a card, gain it from the trash.
Right?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 11:04:14 pm by majiponi »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 11:23:51 pm »

Yep, that's what I meant. Wording cards is not my strong suit.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.