Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quarry, Mandarin, and Haggler  (Read 1462 times)

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
Quarry, Mandarin, and Haggler
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:50:45 am »
+2

I have a Haggler and Quarry in play. If I buy a Mandarin, putting my Quarry on top of my deck, can I then gain a card costing up to $4? Or is the cost of Mandarin determined at the time I bought it?

(I'm just thinking Ferry token on Border Village, buy Mandarin, Haggle Border Village, gain Mandarin).

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry, Mandarin, and Haggler
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:04:55 am »

No, you can only gain a card costing up to $2 because of the effect of Quarry. Mandarin would be $3.

And Ferry token on Border Village is just awful. The point of BV is that it's $6. If it only cost $4, well, that kind of sucks.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:06:33 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:20:46 am »
+3

For this particular interaction, you get the bonus gain from Haggler before putting the Quarry on top of your deck! So the question dissolves.

Buy a Mandarin (for $3)
Gain something costing up to $2 (which could be a Militia or something)
Gain the Mandarin
Top-deck the Quarry
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:20:19 pm by AJD »

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 11:46:15 am »

And Ferry token on Border Village is just awful. The point of BV is that it's $6. If it only cost $4, well, that kind of sucks.
It depends on the kingdom.  A $4 Border Village with Village on the board is almost strictly better than Port (a very good card).  If there are a lot of great $3 cards and relatively few power $5 cards, a $4 Border Village would be better than a $6 Border village.  When you factor in the Ferry opportunity cost, though, it seems unlikely to be worth it.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1203
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »

For this particular interaction, you get the bonus gain from Haggler before putting the Quarry on top of your deck! So the question dissolves.

Buy a Mandarin (for $3)
Gain something costing up to $2 (which could be a Militia or something)
Gain the Mandarin
Top-deck the Quarry

I realized after I wrote the OP that you obviously couldn't gain a Mandarin from a Ferried BV, my bad.

But Ferrying BV might still be viable, depending on the Kingdom. Some kingdoms have lousy (or no) 4's or 5's; others depend on $2-$3 cards like Courtyard or Oracle (for draw) and/or Oasis or Pawn for coin in a double-Tactician engine.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.