Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cards you forget exist  (Read 8679 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Re: Cards you forget exist
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 09:46:16 pm »

that one five cost card that sifts

Took me all day to authentically (without looking it up online or pulling out the expansion) remember this card. Cartographer... I honestly, can't remember the last time I bought that card, but probably should far more often.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 10:12:40 pm »
+2

Took me all day to authentically (without looking it up online or pulling out the expansion) remember this card. Cartographer... I honestly, can't remember the last time I bought that card, but probably should far more often.

Cartographer is one of those cards whose only purpose is to make your deck run smoother.  It doesn't help you gain extra cards, doesn't attack, doesn't do funny tricks, but two otherwise identical decks, one of which has Cartographer, the other does not - the Cartographer deck is going to win.  It's for similar reasons that Wandering Minstrel is so good.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 10:30:17 pm »

Cartographer is one of those cards whose only purpose is to make your deck run smoother.  It doesn't help you gain extra cards, doesn't attack, doesn't do funny tricks, but two otherwise identical decks, one of which has Cartographer, the other does not - the Cartographer deck is going to win.  It's for similar reasons that Wandering Minstrel is so good.

I'm personally a fan of Cartographer. It's expensive, but you get some good sifting, and when you string them together, you can often control exactly what you draw.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Max

• Baron
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 02:40:37 am »
+3

Cartographer is well priced at 5. It can certainly be a better buy than lab, but not always. Crudely, it's a good buy when your median card value is lower than your mean. Which is most of the game, and that's not including the value you get from ordering cards. Cartographer also works well with mine,

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 03:02:18 am »
+1

Transmute. I can't even tell exactly how it works. I just know you trash stuff and you get Gold, Duchiy or Transmute depending on the type, but I wouldn't be able to tell what exactly you trash to get which thing.

I remember the coolest one - Estates to Gold - and then build up from there.

By the time you buy Potion, buy Transmute, get Transmute to line up with Estate, and trash it to get Gold... You would have already had Gold, and you wouldn't have lame ol' Transmute and a dead Potion card.
I never said that you should buy Transmute to remodel your Estates, it's usually a terrible idea. i was just sharing the system I use to remember Transmute's effect.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2016, 08:38:06 am »
+1

Cartographer is well priced at 5. It can certainly be a better buy than lab, but not always. Crudely, it's a good buy when your median card value is lower than your mean. Which is most of the game, and that's not including the value you get from ordering cards. Cartographer also works well with mine,

I don't think it's that Cartographer is bad, I think it's just one of the most vanilla and unremarkable cards in Dominion. It's really effective at what it does, it's just that it's somewhat redundant with very strong draw or trashing - and these cards are often 5s that compete with Cartographer.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2016, 09:09:17 am »

I don't think it's that Cartographer is bad, I think it's just one of the most vanilla and unremarkable cards in Dominion. It's really effective at what it does, it's just that it's somewhat redundant with very strong draw or trashing - and these cards are often 5s that compete with Cartographer.

Well, it's something buy when you start greening, or when there's junking.  Or Tunnel.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2016, 11:20:09 am »
+1

Having 2 or 3 Cartographers in your deck is just so good. The reordering ability that Cartographer has is why Apothecary is so darn good, and you also get to discard? That's good! I don't like Cartographer much, but it's a solid card, and should be considered on every board.

I'll say this, and it's worth repeating over and over: Cycling is good. It's better in the early game, and it does get worse when you start greening, but overall, cycling is a big deal. This is why Warehouse is so great. This is why Apothecary is great. It's not just the Copper draw, it's the cycling that comes out of it all too. Discarding dead cards with Cartographer prevents bad cards from entering your hand, but it also lets you cycle faster. This cannot be understated.

This is why towards an end of a shuffle, you might just discard all your Coppers and Silvers and that one Hamlet with Cartographer, just to get faster cycling. It's highly situational, of course.

(Awaclus case: You have another draw card, so you'd leave the Hamlet and Silver, draw the Hamlet and the Silver for extra economy. If you can do that, great. Just making a general example about cycling and Cartographer's discard ability.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:11:15 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2016, 11:21:31 am »
+1

The only card I can't think of any use for so far is Harvest. Maybe if it's a 9 Scout 1 Harvest kingdom. Harvest BM is better than BM.

I've had several games where I've given my opponents Harvest with Swindler (later when I don't want to run the Duchies) and they've used them to buy Provinces and win. So that's why I remember Harvest.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 03:05:51 am »
+1

Poor House.  Until I Upgrade a Copper, and then realize I'm forced to gain one of those!

Councellor, I think.
I was in a 4p tourney with P/C, and the player that utilized Chancellor kicked our asses.... 80-ish, 55, 53, 35.

It's not always worth it, and even when it is viable, I'll admit I'm lazy and don't like to keep track of things to THAT detail.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 10:07:57 am »
+1

Poor House.  Until I Upgrade a Copper, and then realize I'm forced to gain one of those!

I hate that so much.

I'll admit I'm lazy and don't like to keep track of things to THAT detail.

Keeping track of your deck is one of the primary things separating a good player and a great player. It's a good skill to have, even if it takes a lot of time and is annoying at first. It becomes second nature, sort of like driving, and you can take that skill and put it into other games as well. :)
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.089 seconds with 21 queries.