Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting slog  (Read 1244 times)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
Interesting slog
« on: April 07, 2016, 05:57:32 pm »

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160407/log.0.1460063803753.txt

I really liked this slog I played today. So many interesting decisions - Haggler or Merchant Guild for extra gains? When to go for PStone over Familiar? Is Counting House any good? All cards may be viable here in some way or another, which is rare in a slog.

That first Gardens from my side may have been premature, and I could have ended it a couple of times, but wasn't sure about the point count (VP counters were off). I really like my decision to go for PStone though, got me a lot of provinces even if it meant losing the Curse split 7-3. In the end it was probably what made me win.

Opening 5/2 is pretty bad on a Familiar board, but getting Haggler in play and $6 turn 3 more than made up for it, so there's that.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting slog
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »
+1

I think I prefer Merchant Guild, simply for the Coin Tokens you get for every buy. You could conceivably spike Province or double Gardens with that later on. Haggler is great too, with a free Silver/Oasis for a Gardens. But I like winning Gardens splits. First order of Business is to not lose the curse split, and because of cycling, I'd open Oasis/Potion, and on 5/2, I curse my luck and --/Potion. On first $5, I'd buy Merchant Guild/Haggler (leaning to Haggler, Merchant after), I don't get more than 2 Familiars, and start buying Phil Stones after that. I think I like Oasis over Silver pretty much all the time, since you're not going to be drawing with Library, and cycling is good.

I think there is potential room for Wishing Well, but when your deck is going to be full of sloggy crap, I don't think it's worth its buy here.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 10:19:03 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 05:28:22 am »
+1

I'm not sure about Potion/-. Is not losing the Curse split really that important? Your deck is going to be filled with junk anyway, and you're buying Oases to mitigate that... plus every extra card can be useful for Gardens. I like Haggler/- over Potion/-, getting Potion on the second and Familiar on the third shuffle. Of course, you don't want to ignore Familiar completely; losing the Curse split 10-0 is a death sentence, as your opponent could just do something more Big Money-ish then. My opponent got a third Familiar where I got my first PStone, which is the reason I lost the split 7-3 instead of 6-4. But I still won the game.

I agree with the decision to ignore Wishing Well and Library, I bought neither this game. They can be good, but their opportunity cost is too high here. I also agree my second Haggler should probably have been a Merchant Guild - smoothing out buys can be important later on.

What's your idea about Counting House? We didn't buy it, but can it be any good for spiking Province if you get a couple of Coppers from Merchant Guild?
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 05:38:39 am »
+2

PStone is really good here, so definitely take a Potion, just not on 5/2 because you're too likely to just hit $2P.

I'd open Haggler on 5/2, get a Potion asap and with Haggler get Oases (helps you to bump PStone).
1 Familiar should be enough, I'd be okay with losing the split 6-4 if I got a bit more PStones.

I think there's room for both Haggler and Merchant Guild here, so try to get them both, maybe you can even get more than 2 terminals.7

I don't like Counting House here, because you already have PStone for Province spiking; it's unreliable, I'd rather have MG in its place.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.